DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/314592-rac-portable-power-station-need-dc-adaptor-spec.html)

Michael A. Terrell December 8th 10 01:39 PM

RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
You don't half talk rubbish. Battery testers used to be large devices.
This is the size of a DVM. And gives an accurate readout of the overall
battery condition. Not just its voltage or how much current it can
deliver. It's invaluable for quick testing of a lead acid battery.

Then explain how it can determine the Ah rating. it sounds like it
tests the battery's ESR and guesses the Ah rating.

It doesn't 'guess' anything. It gives a pretty accurate reading. I'd
suggest you find out for yourself how they work.

Does your car battery tell you the discharge
rate to achieve the marked Ah rating?

It's also a standard in the UK. 20 hour rate.

So you can leave your headlights on for 20 hours with no problems?

So you've no clue *either* about how battery capacity is measured?

No, I don't know anything according to you. I worked on the design
and manufacturing of test instruments that sold for up to $80,000. A
claim like yours needs to be backed up.

Hint. Headlights on dip (and the other lights which will be on with them)
amount to around a 12 amp load. That's with 55 watt tungsten headlights.

You still use tungsten headlights in Europe? Halogen are standard in
the US. My truck uses 65 W:

Part Number: 9007SU
Weight: 0.157 lbs
Notes: Dual beam
Amperage Draw: 5.08
Bulb Diameter (In): 0.67
Bulb Technology: Halogen
Color Temperatu 4100
DOT / SAE Compliant: Yes
Filament Configuration: C-8
Headlamp Beam: Low & High Beams
Headlamp Bulb Base Design: PX29T
Headlamp Bulb Configuration: T-4 5/8
Headlamp Bulb Number: 9007
Headlamp Wattage: 65
High Beam Wattage: 55
Light Center Length (In): 1.75
Low Beam Wattage: 65
Lumens: 1345
Maximum Overall Length (In): 3.7
Operating Voltage: 12.8
Rated Life (Hours): 250
Vehicle System Voltage: 12V

At a 20 hour rate that would suggest a 240 amp.hour battery just for them
still to be sort of working. But not without problems. Please try it on
your car.

Sigh. How long have you been brain dead?

--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

Dave Plowman (News) December 8th 10 02:06 PM

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
You still use tungsten headlights in Europe? Halogen are standard in
the US. My truck uses 65 W:

You certainly show your ignorance with every post. 'Halogen' is the inert
gas used in some types of filament lamps. The filament is still likely
tungsten.

However, none of that makes a difference in this context. A 55 watt (EU
spec) headlight is a 55 watt headlight.

BTW, my car has HID units. Far more efficient than those ancient 'halogen'
lights. 35 watts produces more light than your 65 watt whatever. They're
pretty well the norm in the UK on new cars above base spec.

--
*There's two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither one works *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

William Sommerwerck December 8th 10 02:55 PM

RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

BTW, my car has HID units. Far more efficient than those ancient
"halogen" lights. 35 watts produces more light than your 65 watt
whatever. They're pretty well the norm in the UK on new cars
above base spec.

Are these those blinding-blue bulbs that rip retinas with flesh-frying
force? (Note quadruple use of alliteration.)

Dave Plowman (News) December 8th 10 04:00 PM

William Sommerwerck wrote:
BTW, my car has HID units. Far more efficient than those ancient
"halogen" lights. 35 watts produces more light than your 65 watt
whatever. They're pretty well the norm in the UK on new cars
above base spec.

Are these those blinding-blue bulbs that rip retinas with flesh-frying
force? (Note quadruple use of alliteration.)

Dunno. Mine have a colour temperature quite close to filament lamps and a
very sharp cut-off beam pattern. The car also has self levelling
suspension. The earliest versions of them did appear quite 'blue'. Rather
like most 'white' LEDs. ;-)

--
*Income tax service - We‘ve got what it takes to take what you've got.

Michael A. Terrell December 8th 10 11:17 PM

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

You still use tungsten headlights in Europe? Halogen are standard in
the US. My truck uses 65 W:

You certainly show your ignorance with every post. 'Halogen' is the inert
gas used in some types of filament lamps. The filament is still likely
tungsten.

However, none of that makes a difference in this context. A 55 watt (EU
spec) headlight is a 55 watt headlight.

So? Just because they use that spec in a backwards, anti-engineering
country is no reason for anyone else to.

BTW, my car has HID units. Far more efficient than those ancient 'halogen'
lights. 35 watts produces more light than your 65 watt whatever. They're
pretty well the norm in the UK on new cars above base spec.

Sigh. Still can't stick to what you post, can you? First you claim
55 W tungsten, then it's 35 W HID. No wonder you believe the hype about
your magic toy battery tester. The actual Ah rating is determined by
it's use. That 20 Ah rating is only one curve, of many. If you stuck
to it, you couldn't start the vehicle's engine with it. you couldn't use
most car radios without exceeding the proper discharge rate. You
dismiss the total starting circuit resistance as nothing.

As far as HID lamps, they can be seen a lot further away, but most US
drivers don't like them. You get a brighter spot, but don't light the
sides of the road well enough to see animals or people along the side of
a road until it's too late. There are a lot of very long, and high
speed roads in the US where you need that extra illumination.

Dave Plowman (News) December 9th 10 11:17 AM

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
You certainly show your ignorance with every post. 'Halogen' is the
inert gas used in some types of filament lamps. The filament is still
likely tungsten.

However, none of that makes a difference in this context. A 55 watt (EU
spec) headlight is a 55 watt headlight.

So? Just because they use that spec in a backwards, anti-engineering
country is no reason for anyone else to.

Crikey. Where did that come from? Hate just admitting your mistake?

BTW, my car has HID units. Far more efficient than those ancient
'halogen' lights. 35 watts produces more light than your 65 watt
whatever. They're pretty well the norm in the UK on new cars above
base spec.

Sigh. Still can't stick to what you post, can you? First you claim
55 W tungsten, then it's 35 W HID.

Crikey again. Do you actually think before posting?

No wonder you believe the hype about
your magic toy battery tester. The actual Ah rating is determined by
it's use. That 20 Ah rating is only one curve, of many. If you stuck
to it, you couldn't start the vehicle's engine with it. you couldn't use
most car radios without exceeding the proper discharge rate. You
dismiss the total starting circuit resistance as nothing.

More ********. Amp hour and the discharge rate are simply a standard way
of *measuring* that parameter. Other battery parameters are given
separately. For one who claims to be an engineer, this shouldn't need
explaining.

As far as HID lamps, they can be seen a lot further away, but most US
drivers don't like them. You get a brighter spot, but don't light the
sides of the road well enough to see animals or people along the side of
a road until it's too late. There are a lot of very long, and high
speed roads in the US where you need that extra illumination.

You've never experienced decent HID lamps. With proper reflector etc
design they can provide any beam pattern you want. Mine produce as even
illumination as you could possibly want - no high spots at all. They also
have a 'spike' at the nearside which illuminates the side of the road
rather further than the main part of the beam. They only provide the dip
beam - the high beam is by ordinary quartz halogen units, which are in
addition to the dips.

--
*He has Van Gogh's ear for music.

John December 9th 10 02:13 PM

RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

You cannot take an "instantaneous" reading of a cell's Ah capacity. Such a
measurement requires actually draining the battery.

I used to think that but Google gave many hits like this
http://www.actmeters.com/nsi/33-Batt...ity-Tester.php

John

John December 9th 10 02:23 PM

RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

* As far as HID lamps, they can be seen a lot further away, but most US
drivers don't like them. *You get a brighter spot, but don't light the
sides of the road well enough to see animals or people along the side of
a road until it's too late. *There are a lot of very long, and high
speed roads in the US where you need that extra illumination.

Don't blame the light source for poor optical performance. A good
headlight will give a good beam pattern. A number of people have tried
retrofiting HID bulbs into halogen lamps. The light position and shape
can give a very poor beam pattern, sometimes worse than the original
it replaced.
As for long high speed straights, have a look at what they use in
sports car racing. Last time I checked, every car at Le-Mans was on
HID. 200mph on the Mulsanne straight needs good lights. Equally, rally
cars also use HID. they only do about 130mph but that's on a forrest
track between trees at night.
I thought the US had a 55mph speed limit. Have they changed that? It's
been some time since I was there.

John

William Sommerwerck December 9th 10 02:31 PM

RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

You cannot take an "instantaneous" reading of a cell's Ah capacity.
Such a measurement requires actually draining the battery.

I used to think that, but Google gave many hits like this
http://www.actmeters.com/nsi/33-Batt...ity-Tester.php

A fascinating product, but I still don't see how it works.

The only method "obvious" (to me) would be to short the cell for a fraction
of a second, and use the measured current to calculate the internal
resistance. * This, in turn, could be used to estimate the cell's Ah
capacity. But this assumes there's a direct correlation of the resistance
with the cell's capacity, regardless of its age or charge condition. Is
there?

* This is the way Microsoft Hardware tested mouse batteries -- but to see
whether they were primary or secondary, and whether the latter were
"defective". The capacity was of little concern.

Andrew Gabriel December 9th 10 02:32 PM

"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

You still use tungsten headlights in Europe? Halogen are standard in
the US. My truck uses 65 W:

The US finally adopted EU vehicle lighting standards after US lighting
engineers spent some 20 years pressuring to be able to use the safer,
more effective, and more modern EU standards in the US, against the
US car manufacturers who didn't want the expense of redesigning their
ancient lighting systems and didn't want competition from foreign
lighting manufacturers.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Dave Plowman (News) December 9th 10 04:13 PM

William Sommerwerck wrote:
You cannot take an "instantaneous" reading of a cell's Ah capacity.
Such a measurement requires actually draining the battery.

I used to think that, but Google gave many hits like this
http://www.actmeters.com/nsi/33-Batt...ity-Tester.php

A fascinating product, but I still don't see how it works.

The only method "obvious" (to me) would be to short the cell for a
fraction of a second, and use the measured current to calculate the
internal resistance. * This, in turn, could be used to estimate the
cell's Ah capacity. But this assumes there's a direct correlation of the
resistance with the cell's capacity, regardless of its age or charge
condition. Is there?

I *think* that's the way it works. The crock clips have very sharp 'pins'
to ensure a good contact with the battery terminals.

But having used mine on a variety of sized batteries it really does seem
to give a good indication as to the condition rather than just the charge
state of a battery. In other words if it says a fully charged battery has
the capacity (in amp.hrs) as stated on the battery it is good. Works on
batteries from 1.8 - 200 Ah. If it gives a reading of less than 65% of
that figure, the battery should be replaced. The claim is it simulates a
20 hour test in 6 seconds.

It's no cheap DVM, though. Cost almost 200 gbp - and came with a hand
written calibration certificate. Most decent battery sellers will have
something similar. Even Halfords. ;-)

* This is the way Microsoft Hardware tested mouse batteries -- but to see
whether they were primary or secondary, and whether the latter were
"defective". The capacity was of little concern.

--
*All generalizations are false.

Michael A. Terrell December 9th 10 04:14 PM

RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
You certainly show your ignorance with every post. 'Halogen' is the
inert gas used in some types of filament lamps. The filament is still
likely tungsten.

However, none of that makes a difference in this context. A 55 watt (EU
spec) headlight is a 55 watt headlight.

So? Just because they use that spec in a backwards, anti-engineering
country is no reason for anyone else to.

Crikey. Where did that come from? Hate just admitting your mistake?

From the current 'Brit Engineering kaput!' thread on
news:sci.electronics.design where they are discussing why all
engineering in England has gone to crap. From the public's attitude
towards engineering, stupid HR staff and brain drain where people with
talent leave England to work elsewhere.

BTW, my car has HID units. Far more efficient than those ancient
'halogen' lights. 35 watts produces more light than your 65 watt
whatever. They're pretty well the norm in the UK on new cars above
base spec.

Sigh. Still can't stick to what you post, can you? First you claim
55 W tungsten, then it's 35 W HID.

Crikey again. Do you actually think before posting?

Yes, unlike you. You keep comparing apples to crabapples.

No wonder you believe the hype about
your magic toy battery tester. The actual Ah rating is determined by
it's use. That 20 Ah rating is only one curve, of many. If you stuck
to it, you couldn't start the vehicle's engine with it. you couldn't use
most car radios without exceeding the proper discharge rate. You
dismiss the total starting circuit resistance as nothing.

More ********. Amp hour and the discharge rate are simply a standard way
of *measuring* that parameter. Other battery parameters are given
separately. For one who claims to be an engineer, this shouldn't need
explaining.

I know how the damn 'standard' works. It works even better if it has
a relevant base measurement. Starting a vehicle is a completely
different function from a standby power application. Other than
starting the vehicle, little current is drawn from a car's battery if
the charging system works properly. Therfore a '20 Ah rating' is not
the proper standard. That is why the US rates a car battery by CCA. A
worst case condition for starting in cold weather when an engine is
tight and the lubricants are stiff. Your miracle tester won't find a
failing batery. I've had several show no signs of trouble that
developed an open internal connection when you hit the key. Your DMM
sized miracle box won't find that and give warning, but the old
controlled discharge testers will.

As far as HID lamps, they can be seen a lot further away, but most US
drivers don't like them. You get a brighter spot, but don't light the
sides of the road well enough to see animals or people along the side of
a road until it's too late. There are a lot of very long, and high
speed roads in the US where you need that extra illumination.

You've never experienced decent HID lamps.

Most of what I've seen are on imported cars. They tend to blind
oncoming traffic.

Michael A. Terrell December 9th 10 04:15 PM

RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

You still use tungsten headlights in Europe? Halogen are standard in
the US. My truck uses 65 W:

The US finally adopted EU vehicle lighting standards after US lighting
engineers spent some 20 years pressuring to be able to use the safer,
more effective, and more modern EU standards in the US, against the
US car manufacturers who didn't want the expense of redesigning their
ancient lighting systems and didn't want competition from foreign
lighting manufacturers.

So, the Philips and Osram lamps are US made?

Dave Plowman (News) December 9th 10 04:16 PM

RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

You still use tungsten headlights in Europe? Halogen are standard
in the US. My truck uses 65 W:

The US finally adopted EU vehicle lighting standards after US lighting
engineers spent some 20 years pressuring to be able to use the safer,
more effective, and more modern EU standards in the US, against the
US car manufacturers who didn't want the expense of redesigning their
ancient lighting systems and didn't want competition from foreign
lighting manufacturers.

Older readers may remember Lucas spot light adverts from the '60s - 'are
too powerful for use in some US states'

By the prince of darkness. ;-)

--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Michael A. Terrell December 9th 10 04:20 PM

John wrote:

You cannot take an "instantaneous" reading of a cell's Ah capacity. Such a
measurement requires actually draining the battery.

I used to think that but Google gave many hits like this
http://www.actmeters.com/nsi/33-Batt...ity-Tester.php

John

In circuit, without disconnecting from the vehicle? Doesn't that
tell you ANYTHING? It mesures ESR.

Have you read the manual?

The ACT 33 Battery Tester is designed for measuring the internal
resistance,
open-circuit voltage, and terminal temperature of secondary batteries,
including lead storage cells, nickel-cadmium batteries, lithium-ion
batteries
and nickel-metal hydride batteries

http://www.actmeters.com/manuals/ACT33%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf

Michael A. Terrell December 9th 10 04:25 PM

John wrote:

As far as HID lamps, they can be seen a lot further away, but most US
drivers don't like them. You get a brighter spot, but don't light the
sides of the road well enough to see animals or people along the side of
a road until it's too late. There are a lot of very long, and high
speed roads in the US where you need that extra illumination.

Don't blame the light source for poor optical performance. A good
headlight will give a good beam pattern. A number of people have tried
retrofiting HID bulbs into halogen lamps. The light position and shape
can give a very poor beam pattern, sometimes worse than the original
it replaced.

What else would you expect, with the built in reflectors for the
Hallogen bulbs?

As for long high speed straights, have a look at what they use in
sports car racing. Last time I checked, every car at Le-Mans was on
HID. 200mph on the Mulsanne straight needs good lights. Equally, rally
cars also use HID. they only do about 130mph but that's on a forrest
track between trees at night.

With loud engines and all traffic in one direction. That is nothing
like driving a typical car at night on a country road. Have you ever
had a horse step out in front of your vehicle? How about a cow that got
out of the pasture's gate, or a large bear? Some areas have had to have
16' high fence built along the sides of roads and a tunnel under the
road to stop the accidents.

I thought the US had a 55mph speed limit. Have they changed that? It's
been some time since I was there.

No, 70 MPH has been restored in a lot of places.

John

Meat Plow[_5_] December 9th 10 04:38 PM

RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 11:15:42 -0500, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

You still use tungsten headlights in Europe? Halogen are standard
in
the US. My truck uses 65 W:

The US finally adopted EU vehicle lighting standards after US lighting
engineers spent some 20 years pressuring to be able to use the safer,
more effective, and more modern EU standards in the US, against the US
car manufacturers who didn't want the expense of redesigning their
ancient lighting systems and didn't want competition from foreign
lighting manufacturers.

So, the Philips and Osram lamps are US made?

Who wrote this?

William Sommerwerck December 9th 10 04:45 PM

[...]

Have you checked the results against something like the MAHA C9000, which
actually drains the cell?

Dave Plowman (News) December 9th 10 04:52 PM

RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
You certainly show your ignorance with every post. 'Halogen' is the
inert gas used in some types of filament lamps. The filament is still
likely tungsten.

However, none of that makes a difference in this context. A 55
watt (EU spec) headlight is a 55 watt headlight.

So? Just because they use that spec in a backwards,
anti-engineering country is no reason for anyone else to.

Crikey. Where did that come from? Hate just admitting your mistake?

From the current 'Brit Engineering kaput!' thread on
news:sci.electronics.design where they are discussing why all
engineering in England has gone to crap. From the public's attitude
towards engineering, stupid HR staff and brain drain where people with
talent leave England to work elsewhere.

You really need to see what UK groups say about the US. ;-)

Or perhaps you feel it's not in some similar form of 'decline'? If so, get
your head out of your arse and look around you. At all the Chinese etc
made consumer goods. Same as here. GM bankrupt yet again - despite having
one of the largest markets on its doorstep. Etc.

I'm no 'my country right or wrong' type. I'll leave that to you.

BTW, my car has HID units. Far more efficient than those ancient
'halogen' lights. 35 watts produces more light than your 65 watt
whatever. They're pretty well the norm in the UK on new cars above
base spec.

Sigh. Still can't stick to what you post, can you? First you
claim 55 W tungsten, then it's 35 W HID.

Crikey again. Do you actually think before posting?

Yes, unlike you. You keep comparing apples to crabapples.

Sigh. You're the one doing the comparing - and getting it wrong.

[...]

Who are you trying to educate? I'm well aware of the likely loading on a
car battery. UK batteries also give all that information - the Ah one is
in addition.

Your miracle tester won't find a
failing batery. I've had several show no signs of trouble that
developed an open internal connection when you hit the key. Your DMM
sized miracle box won't find that and give warning, but the old
controlled discharge testers will.

You really need to do some research before being so certain. Because
you're wrong. My tester will show up a faulty cell - either high impedance
or shorted. Your prehistoric 'controlled discharge' (just an ammeter)
won't - unless you also do other measurements. It also needs skill and
care to use. But perhaps you've never seen a battery blow apart when
having a high discharge test done? I have. My tester doesn't apply the
load until after it is connected.

As far as HID lamps, they can be seen a lot further away, but most
US drivers don't like them. You get a brighter spot, but don't
light the sides of the road well enough to see animals or people
along the side of a road until it's too late. There are a lot of
very long, and high speed roads in the US where you need that extra
illumination.

You've never experienced decent HID lamps.

Most of what I've seen are on imported cars. They tend to blind
oncoming traffic.

I have no idea of the construction and use regulations in the US. If they
are only fitted to imports, it shows just how far behind the times Detroit
is. FWIW badly set filament lights can dazzle too. Or ones with just plain
poor optical design. HID lamps are much more efficient. If they are
designed to the same light output as 'halogen' you benefit from less
energy use. If similar savings are made elsewhere in a car, you specify a
smaller alternator and cable sizes. Etc.

With proper reflector etc design they can provide any beam pattern you
want. Mine produce as even illumination as you could possibly want -
no high spots at all. They also have a 'spike' at the nearside which
illuminates the side of the road rather further than the main part of
the beam. They only provide the dip beam - the high beam is by
ordinary quartz halogen units, which are in addition to the dips.

--
*We waste time, so you don't have to *

Dave Plowman (News) December 9th 10 06:02 PM

William Sommerwerck wrote:
But having used mine on a variety of sized batteries it really does
seem to give a good indication as to the condition rather than just
the charge state of a battery. In other words if it says a fully
charged battery has the capacity (in amp.hrs) as stated on the battery
it is good. Works on batteries from 1.8 - 200 Ah. If it gives a
reading of less than 65% of that figure, the battery should be
replaced. The claim is it simulates a 20 hour test in 6 seconds.

Have you checked the results against something like the MAHA C9000, which
actually drains the cell?

No. I'm only really concerned if a battery is fit for further service.
With a quick check. Which this device does pretty well.

--
*A person who smiles in the face of adversity probably has a scapegoat *

Michael A. Terrell December 10th 10 06:43 PM

RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

From the current 'Brit Engineering kaput!' thread on
news:sci.electronics.design where they are discussing why all
engineering in England has gone to crap. From the public's attitude
towards engineering, stupid HR staff and brain drain where people with
talent leave England to work elsewhere.

You really need to see what UK groups say about the US. ;-)

You should read that thread and see what other Brits are saying bad
about themselves. They are the ones complaining about what has happened
to the electronics industry in England.

Or perhaps you feel it's not in some similar form of 'decline'? If so, get
your head out of your arse and look around you. At all the Chinese etc
made consumer goods. Same as here. GM bankrupt yet again - despite having
one of the largest markets on its doorstep. Etc.

The US electronics industry isn't consumer grade crap. It is
Military, Aerospace, Instrumentation and Medical Equipment.

I'm no 'my country right or wrong' type. I'll leave that to you.

I don't make that claim, but anytime someone outside the US disagrees,
they toss out that straw man.

Sigh. Still can't stick to what you post, can you? First you
claim 55 W tungsten, then it's 35 W HID.

Crikey again. Do you actually think before posting?

Yes, unlike you. You keep comparing apples to crabapples.

Sigh. You're the one doing the comparing - and getting it wrong.

Tell me, what have you designed? Have you ever worked in a metrology
lab repairing and calibrating test equipment? Have you built space
qualified electronics and seen them used from space?

I know how the damn 'standard' works. It works even better if it has
a relevant base measurement. Starting a vehicle is a completely
different function from a standby power application. Other than
starting the vehicle, little current is drawn from a car's battery if
the charging system works properly. Therfore a '20 Ah rating' is not
the proper standard. That is why the US rates a car battery by CCA. A
worst case condition for starting in cold weather when an engine is
tight and the lubricants are stiff.

Who are you trying to educate? I'm well aware of the likely loading on a
car battery. UK batteries also give all that information - the Ah one is
in addition.

It was dropped long ago in the US, because it has no meaning for a
car battery.

Your miracle tester won't find a
failing batery. I've had several show no signs of trouble that
developed an open internal connection when you hit the key. Your DMM
sized miracle box won't find that and give warning, but the old
controlled discharge testers will.

You really need to do some research before being so certain. Because
you're wrong. My tester will show up a faulty cell - either high impedance
or shorted.

It won't detect a failing internal connection.

Your prehistoric 'controlled discharge' (just an ammeter)
won't - unless you also do other measurements. It also needs skill and
care to use.

Skill? They were automated battery testers. Even a fast food drone
could use one.

But perhaps you've never seen a battery blow apart when
having a high discharge test done? I have.

I've had two vehicles that had a battery explode while someone was
driving them.

My tester doesn't apply the load until after it is connected.

Duh! How could it, if it isn't connected? ;-)

You've never experienced decent HID lamps.

Most of what I've seen are on imported cars. They tend to blind
oncoming traffic.

I have no idea of the construction and use regulations in the US. If they
are only fitted to imports, it shows just how far behind the times Detroit
is.

In what universe does MOST mean 'only fitted to imports'?

FWIW badly set filament lights can dazzle too. Or ones with just plain
poor optical design.

They have to meet the current standards in the US before the vehicle
can be offer for sale.

HID lamps are much more efficient. If they are
designed to the same light output as 'halogen' you benefit from less
energy use. If similar savings are made elsewhere in a car, you specify a
smaller alternator and cable sizes. Etc.

The original lumen limit was set when highways were two lane, with no
space in between the lanes of opposing traffic. It was good engineering,
for its time. Now, most highways have more than two lanes, and a 50' or
wider strip between the two sets of roads so other types of lighting can
be used.

A smaller alternator? I prefer the largest I can get. I have been
in situations were a vehicle required frequent starts, and a smaller
alternator just couldn't keep up with the demand. Smaller wire? I make
battery cables from #1 AWG welding cable, instead of the standard #6
AWG. The reduced voltage drop in the starter circuit makes the engine
start faster, reduces wear on the start motor and increases battery
life. A 25% drop across the battery cables during starting wastes a lot
of energy as heat. On a high compression V8 engine that was already at
operating temperature I have seen a 6 volt drop, and the stock cables
get to warm to touch. That was in my 1966 Pontiac GTO. After I put the
custom battery cables on, the loss was about .75 volts. It would start
just as fast when it was hot as when it was cold. That engine had over
220 pounds compression right after the engine was rebuilt, and before
the new rings had seated.

What else are you going to make more efficient? Take out the radio
and get rid of the vehicle's ECU?

Use crap if you want to, but don't tell me what to do.

I've spent time where the daytime high stayed below -20F for months
at a time, with a record low of -69F.

Dave Plowman (News) December 11th 10 12:07 AM

RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
[snip]

Tell me, what have you designed? Have you ever worked in a metrology
lab repairing and calibrating test equipment? Have you built space
qualified electronics and seen them used from space?

If you're claiming to have done all this, how can you get it wrong about
something so simple as a modern battery tester?

Perhaps you're just living in the past.

--
*Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?

Steve Firth December 11th 10 12:50 AM

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I've spent time where the daytime high stayed below -20F for months
at a time, with a record low of -69F.

This is the 21st century, use SI units.

David Nebenzahl December 11th 10 01:43 AM

RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

On 12/10/2010 4:50 PM Steve Firth spake thus:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I've spent time where the daytime high stayed below -20F for months
at a time, with a record low of -69F.

This is the 21st century, use SI units.

What's the 21st century got to do with anything?

We (US) don't use those units (at least not in ordinary,
non-engineering, non-technical usage), thank you very much. (And yes,
lots of folks, myself included, like it that way.)

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.

Michael A. Terrell December 11th 10 04:06 AM

Steve Firth wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I've spent time where the daytime high stayed below -20F for months
at a time, with a record low of -69F.

This is the 21st century, use SI units.

The record was set last millenium, and that was when I was there. I
appologize that you aren't smart enough to do the conversions.

Michael A. Terrell December 11th 10 04:07 AM

RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
[snip]

Tell me, what have you designed? Have you ever worked in a metrology
lab repairing and calibrating test equipment? Have you built space
qualified electronics and seen them used from space?

If you're claiming to have done all this, how can you get it wrong about
something so simple as a modern battery tester?

Perhaps you're just living in the past.

Perhaps you live on a fantasy world.

Dave Plowman (News) December 11th 10 09:49 AM

RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
[snip]

Tell me, what have you designed? Have you ever worked in a
metrology lab repairing and calibrating test equipment? Have you
built space qualified electronics and seen them used from space?

If you're claiming to have done all this, how can you get it wrong
about something so simple as a modern battery tester?

Perhaps you're just living in the past.

Perhaps you live on a fantasy world.

Tell you what, Michael, buy one of these ACT units and give it a proper
work out.

I have one and say it does what it claims to do.

You don't, and appear to be basing your views on 'experience' which is
years out of date.

Or you could just visit a decent battery shop and see what they use these
days.

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

Dave Plowman (News) December 11th 10 09:54 AM

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
You really need to see what UK groups say about the US. ;-)

You should read that thread and see what other Brits are saying bad
about themselves. They are the ones complaining about what has happened
to the electronics industry in England.

And you think there are no US citizens who say bad things about your
country? But perhaps you'd wish them silenced. You certainly give the
impression of not wanting to allow others to have their own opinion.

--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

Michael A. Terrell December 11th 10 12:04 PM

RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
[snip]

Tell me, what have you designed? Have you ever worked in a
metrology lab repairing and calibrating test equipment? Have you
built space qualified electronics and seen them used from space?

If you're claiming to have done all this, how can you get it wrong
about something so simple as a modern battery tester?

Perhaps you're just living in the past.

Perhaps you live on a fantasy world.

Tell you what, Michael, buy one of these ACT units and give it a proper
work out.

The one that was mentioned by model number was quoted at 399 British
pounds. I have better things to spend money on that overpriced toys.

I have one and say it does what it claims to do.

You don't, and appear to be basing your views on 'experience' which is
years out of date.

Or you could just visit a decent battery shop and see what they use these
days.

Modern? Or set up for complete idiot employees?

Michael A. Terrell December 11th 10 12:06 PM

RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
You really need to see what UK groups say about the US. ;-)

You should read that thread and see what other Brits are saying bad
about themselves. They are the ones complaining about what has happened
to the electronics industry in England.

And you think there are no US citizens who say bad things about your
country? But perhaps you'd wish them silenced. You certainly give the
impression of not wanting to allow others to have their own opinion.

Yawn. You don't know me at all. It doesn't matter, though. I'm
sure you wouldn't beleive what anyone told you about me.

Dave Plowman (News) December 11th 10 01:55 PM

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tell you what, Michael, buy one of these ACT units and give it a proper
work out.

The one that was mentioned by model number was quoted at 399 British
pounds. I have better things to spend money on that overpriced toys.

Mine was used for pro purposes and in no way a toy. And was worth its
cost for convenience alone - your dinosaur type wouldn't fit in a pocket.

However, the one I have cost nothing like that much. I've had it for
several years. This appears to be the latest model - and seems to be well
regarded in your country.

http://www.actmeters.com/Copy of
GOLD-IBT-Intelligent-Battery-Tester-1.php

--
*Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.

Meat Plow[_5_] December 11th 10 07:37 PM

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 23:06:29 -0500, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I've spent time where the daytime high stayed below -20F for
months
at a time, with a record low of -69F.

This is the 21st century, use SI units.

The record was set last millenium, and that was when I was there. I
appologize that you aren't smart enough to do the conversions.

Looks like you've got yourself into quite the ****ing match with a couple
of these do it yourself retards.