Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Security cameras and DVR

As more and more businesses in my area are robbed at I have decided it's
time to get some cameras.

Any recommendations for cameras and a recorder appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 13, 9:37 am, R D S wrote:
As more and more businesses in my area are robbed at I have decided it's
time to get some cameras.

Any recommendations for cameras and a recorder appreciated.

A cheap solution is to use an existing computer, with up to four
cards handling up to four cameras each. Either the cards are
installed in the computer or plugged into a USB port. Probably USB1 is
not good enough, and the computer should have at least 80 Gb of hard
drive.

You should decide whether you are going to record at night, and if so
whether the lighting is good or you can use sensor lights. The
infrared lights on most cameras are disappointing and only light up a
few metres.

If you have cameras inside a shop, keep them low, at face height or
lower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , R D S
scribeth thus
As more and more businesses in my area are robbed at I have decided it's
time to get some cameras.

Any recommendations for cameras and a recorder appreciated.

Have a look at RF concepts there're on the web, some good stuff on there
and Billy there is quite knowledgeable:!..

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/digital-recorder.htm

We've had an Avermedia from there, works very well and trouble free..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

The
infrared lights on most cameras are disappointing Â*and only light up a
few metres.

Worse than that I find the back scatter from spider webs obliterates the
image so prefer separate lights.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2010 21:12, Matty F wrote:
On Nov 13, 9:37 am, R D wrote:
As more and more businesses in my area are robbed at I have decided it's
time to get some cameras.

Any recommendations for cameras and a recorder appreciated.

A cheap solution is to use an existing computer, with up to four
cards handling up to four cameras each.

I have a Trust card with 4 video inputs and I used to have it connected
to 4 day/night cameras triggered to record on motion detect.
I found it froze up a lot though and was hoping that a dvr would be more
reliable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2010 21:33, tony sayer wrote:
In , R D
scribeth thus
As more and more businesses in my area are robbed at I have decided it's
time to get some cameras.

Any recommendations for cameras and a recorder appreciated.

Have a look at RF concepts there're on the web, some good stuff on there
and Billy there is quite knowledgeable:!..

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/digital-recorder.htm

We've had an Avermedia from there, works very well and trouble free..

I'll take a look, cheers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 13, 9:37 am, R D wrote:
As more and more businesses in my area are robbed at I have decided it's
time to get some cameras.

Any recommendations for cameras and a recorder appreciated.

A cheap solution is to use an existing computer, with up to four
cards handling up to four cameras each.

I have a Trust card with 4 video inputs and I used to have it connected
to 4 day/night cameras triggered to record on motion detect.
I found it froze up a lot though and was hoping that a dvr would be more
reliable.

The Trust card or its software can't be any good. Google shows
problems.
I've used a couple of el cheapo cards for some years now on an old
slow PC, with almost no problems. I restart Win98SE every day because
Win memory management sucks.

I'm about to install a couple more systems and I was going to use USB
capture cards. Maybe I should use what I know works.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 12, 8:37*pm, R D S wrote:
As more and more businesses in my area are robbed at I have decided it's
time to get some cameras.

Any recommendations for cameras and a recorder appreciated.

Agree about spider webs and bacjscatter from lens mounted ir rings,
alos obliteratesn number plates after dark :-(

Varifocal cameras are handy typically 4-9mm or so, off shelf always
eem wider than youd want, 520TVL and up is good, below 400TVL is free
with Frosties nowadays.

Covert as well as overt, pinhole door viwer , under the eaves in a
fence post ....

DVR is just more stable than a computer running and lower energy cost,
have an Avtech, try ebay , thats been running 24/7 for 8 moths with no
problems, network and internet accesible, motion recording H264 etc
etc.

Avtech seem reasonaby regarded at price point and support is good.

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"lori lane" wrote in message

Agree about spider webs and bacjscatter from lens mounted ir rings,
alos obliteratesn number plates after dark :-(

Isn't that just the poor dynamic range of the recorder and/or display.
I have seen IP cameras that can cope with that sort of contrast but I don't
know what make they are.
Mine don't have IR illumination and just use a PIR light with a low energy
lamp for illumination.
Its not as though I want to covertly collect evidence of a crime, I want to
stop then doing the crime in the first place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

lori lane wrote:

bacjscatter alos obliteratesn eem youd viwer thats accesible reasonaby

You are TNP in disguise AICMGBP5 ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 13, 8:34*am, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"lori lane" wrote in message

Agree about spider webs and bacjscatter from lens mounted ir rings,
alos obliteratesn number plates after dark :-(

Lets try this on a keyboard not half balanced on the bench ;-)

Isn't that just the poor dynamic range of the recorder and/or display.

Its specifically number plates, they are retroreflectors, light goes
straight back way it came, in this instamce from right around the
lens, rest of pic is fine , blooming number plate is a white blazing
blob :-(

I have seen IP cameras that can cope with that sort of contrast but I don't
know what make they are.
Mine don't have IR illumination and just use a PIR light with a low energy
lamp for illumination.

PIR lights are good, but in my case extended CCTV after they used the
PIRs to allow better use of bolt crops :-(

Its not as though I want to covertly collect evidence of a crime, I want to
stop then doing the crime in the first place.

I check the overnight pics every day , nature of place means some
people are in late at night but looking for unexpected visitors making
more than one visit.

Bolt cutter crew did a reccy the night before, existing CCTV was too
poor to get a clear image, as it was the two blob shapes did get,
helped cops confirm their own suspicions.

Do put up some sort of CCTV sign with contact details if its
commercial premises. Laminator and this is handy

http://www.online-sign.com

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 13, 8:39*am, Andy Burns wrote:
lori lane wrote:
bacjscatter *alos obliteratesn eem youd viwer thats accesible reasonaby

You are TNP in disguise AICMGBP5 ;-)

`Fraid you didn`t spell the phrase-that-pays in broken Swedish ;-)

Must proof read before hitting send.
Must proof read before hitting send.
Must proof read before hitting send.....

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes
As more and more businesses in my area are robbed at I have decided
it's time to get some cameras.

Any recommendations for cameras and a recorder appreciated.

A bit "how long is a piece of string" question - replace with how deep
is your pocket

get the'sel an old computer (not too old), but get a massive hard drive
(I have a 2TB drive dedicated to recording)

pop down to Preston and buy one of these

http://cpc.farnell.com/x-vision/xp16...a-software/dp/
SR06547

or find one on t'internet

They also do cameras and cable etc

I just bought 16 of these

http://cpc.farnell.com/defender-secu...i-420tvl/dp/SR
07033?in_merch=Featured%20Products&MER=e-bb45-00001001

I don't need them for night vision

Took an afternoon to wire up the whole factory

made a junction box and powered them all from one PSU

job done.

Just a shame none of them were trained on the rear roof to catch the
pikies nicking the lead

Just remember to put the computer where nobody can steal it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes
On Nov 13, 9:37 am, R D wrote:
As more and more businesses in my area are robbed at I have decided it's
time to get some cameras.

Any recommendations for cameras and a recorder appreciated.

A cheap solution is to use an existing computer, with up to four
cards handling up to four cameras each.

I have a Trust card with 4 video inputs and I used to have it connected
to 4 day/night cameras triggered to record on motion detect.
I found it froze up a lot though and was hoping that a dvr would be
more reliable.

When you talk quality, Trust isn't a name which immediately springs to
mind

as opposed to ... cheap and nasty

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
Took an afternoon to wire up the whole factory

made a junction box and powered them all from one PSU

job done.

Just a shame none of them were trained on the rear roof to catch the
pikies nicking the lead

Just remember to put the computer where nobody can steal it

Not to mention a ups on the PC and PSU.

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 13, 3:51 pm, lori lane wrote:

DVR is just more stable than a computer running and lower energy cost,
have an Avtech, try ebay , thats been running 24/7 for 8 moths with no
problems, network and internet accesible, motion recording H264 etc
etc.

If a DVR simply records the pictures and doesn't have a monitor or a
keyboard or a mouse, how do you look at the recorded video?
How do you look at the video in real time?
How do you look at the recording times to see if motion has been
detected?
If you need a computer to look at the DVR, what's the advantage of a
DVR?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pop down to Preston and buy one of these

http://cpc.farnell.com/x-vision/xp16...a-software/dp/
SR06547

Seems thats out of stock and/ or production. I reckon a standalone DVR
is a much better animal nowadays, and some run Linux too)...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
pop down to Preston and buy one of these

http://cpc.farnell.com/x-vision/xp16...a-software/dp/
SR06547

Seems thats out of stock and/ or production. I reckon a standalone DVR
is a much better animal nowadays, and some run Linux too)...

The original Item I pointed at was out of stock and it redirected me to
another product.

Standalone DVR ?

I have a big FO Hard drive which is good for prolly 2 months for 16
cameras

I can get any camera at any time or date I need

activate on movement etc ...

and I'm too lazy to change

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2010 03:51, Matty F wrote:
On Nov 13, 3:51 pm, lori wrote:

DVR is just more stable than a computer running and lower energy cost,
have an Avtech, try ebay , thats been running 24/7 for 8 moths with no
problems, network and internet accesible, motion recording H264 etc
etc.

If a DVR simply records the pictures and doesn't have a monitor or a
keyboard or a mouse, how do you look at the recorded video?
How do you look at the video in real time?
How do you look at the recording times to see if motion has been
detected?

My no-name DVR box has an output for a monitor (TV or VGA) and comes
with a remote control which offers live or recorded playback through an
onscreen menu system, which also lists times of events etc. It's also
capable of continuous recording from four cameras whilst a user is
playing back and checking the recordings. This all can also be done via
several gadgets connected to a computer network but that's not entirely
necessary to use the box for the main function.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , geoff
scribeth thus
In message , tony sayer
writes
pop down to Preston and buy one of these

http://cpc.farnell.com/x-vision/xp16...a-software/dp/
SR06547

Seems thats out of stock and/ or production. I reckon a standalone DVR
is a much better animal nowadays, and some run Linux too)...

The original Item I pointed at was out of stock and it redirected me to
another product.

Seems to have gone now!..

Standalone DVR ?

I have a big FO Hard drive which is good for prolly 2 months for 16
cameras

I can get any camera at any time or date I need

activate on movement etc ...

and I'm too lazy to change

Well I'm now sold on the idea ofd a dedicated PVR and the size or lack
of it, you could tuck that places where full PC's wouldn't go..

As well as being fully remote controlled over 't web etc...
--
Tony Sayer