DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Recliner lubrication (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/312733-recliner-lubrication.html)

Jim S November 1st 10 10:28 PM

Recliner lubrication

I inherited a LA-Z-BOY reclining armchair. It has not been used a lot and
the reclining mechanism is very stiff. Is there a way of lubricating it
without (sooner or later) getting the lubricant on the carpet below?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Tabby November 1st 10 11:57 PM

Recliner lubrication

On Nov 1, 10:28*pm, Jim S wrote:
I inherited a LA-Z-BOY reclining armchair. It has not been used a lot and
the reclining mechanism is very stiff. Is there a way of lubricating it
without (sooner or later) *getting the lubricant on the carpet below?

a) clean it, dont lube it
b) use grease, it doesnt drip. Dont overdo it.

NT

The Medway Handyman[_3_] November 2nd 10 12:44 AM

Recliner lubrication

Jim S wrote:
I inherited a LA-Z-BOY reclining armchair. It has not been used a lot
and the reclining mechanism is very stiff. Is there a way of
lubricating it without (sooner or later) getting the lubricant on
the carpet below?

WD40

--
Dave - WD40 Liberation Front.

F Murtz[_2_] November 2nd 10 01:36 AM

Recliner lubrication

Tabby wrote:
On Nov 1, 10:28 pm, Jim wrote:
I inherited a LA-Z-BOY reclining armchair. It has not been used a lot and
the reclining mechanism is very stiff. Is there a way of lubricating it
without (sooner or later) getting the lubricant on the carpet below?

a) clean it, dont lube it
b) use grease, it doesnt drip. Dont overdo it.

NT

In aus we have something called selleys glide, it is a pressure pac but
it does not stain like wd40 (you can use it on zippers)

Andy Dingley November 2nd 10 10:34 AM

Recliner lubrication

On 1 Nov, 22:28, Jim S wrote:
I inherited a LA-Z-BOY reclining armchair. It has not been used a lot and
the reclining mechanism is very stiff. Is there a way of lubricating it

You've got a few options, depending on what it needs:

If it's really tight metal-on-metal pin joints, then spray something
runny in there. I'd use a PTFE-based lubricant (dead easy to find in
the USA, harder over here), or the rest of uk.d-i-y would probably say
WD-40. Some really good ones are the better mountain bike chain
lubricants. Tip the chair on its side, pack some newspaper around
before spraying, wipe the outside drips off with kitchen roll before
putting it back on the carpet.

If it's a big area slider, especially on a plastic pad, then use a
stiff high-melting point grease. Softer greases are more likely to
slide off (Use the best you've got - it isn't rocket surgery). Don't
use too much, again to reduce the risk of drops on the carpet. Avoid
black, grey, metallic or white (PTFE) greases, again for risk of
staining.

Avoid silicones, again for staining.

If plastic runners and pads are broken or grooved, replace them with
new ones filed up out of phenolic (Tufnol or even Paxolin), or PTFE
strip (Axminster, sold as slidey pads for jig making).

dennis@home November 2nd 10 10:41 AM

Recliner lubrication

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Auto.../sd2795/p63929

Dave Osborne[_2_] November 2nd 10 04:45 PM

Recliner lubrication

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Jim S wrote:
I inherited a LA-Z-BOY reclining armchair. It has not been used a lot
and the reclining mechanism is very stiff. Is there a way of
lubricating it without (sooner or later) getting the lubricant on
the carpet below?

WD40

You cruisin' for a bruisin'? ;-)

Dave November 2nd 10 07:29 PM

Recliner lubrication

On 01/11/2010 23:57, Tabby wrote:
On Nov 1, 10:28 pm, Jim wrote:
I inherited a LA-Z-BOY reclining armchair. It has not been used a lot and
the reclining mechanism is very stiff. Is there a way of lubricating it
without (sooner or later) getting the lubricant on the carpet below?

a) clean it, dont lube it
b) use grease, it doesnt drip. Dont overdo it.

And if you can find it, use a molybdinum based grease and it will last
for ages. You only need a tiny amount and it sticks the the metal like
the proverbial.

Dave

Dave November 2nd 10 07:45 PM

Recliner lubrication

Jim S wrote:
I inherited a LA-Z-BOY reclining armchair. It has not been used a lot
and the reclining mechanism is very stiff. Is there a way of
lubricating it without (sooner or later) getting the lubricant on
the carpet below?

WD40

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Auto.../sd2795/p63929

Yes, I think that would be good too, having had experience using it.

Dave