Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CU wiring photo?

On 12/11/2010 20:39, Tim Watts wrote:

That's a work of art!

Thanks for all the kind comments. The chap from Eastern Electricity (as
was) seemed happy enough to connect the tails. But he didn't even want
to see inside the CU. It was enough to leave the megger and loop tester
visible, in a casual sort of way.

I've not seen an MK metal CU upclose before... Certainly has alot of
topspace - even more than my Hager which is till fairly generous.

It's getting a quite hard to keep the 17th edition boards tidy,
especially with several RCBOs in use.

Is there a clip in shroud for the busbar?

On that generation of MK unit the busbar cover is just an extruded uPVC
section with a groove that locates over the bottom edge of the box and
is held in place by the front cover.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/10 01:02, Andy Wade wrote:
On 12/11/2010 20:39, Tim Watts wrote:

That's a work of art!

Thanks for all the kind comments. The chap from Eastern Electricity (as
was) seemed happy enough to connect the tails. But he didn't even want
to see inside the CU. It was enough to leave the megger and loop tester
visible, in a casual sort of way.

I've not seen an MK metal CU upclose before... Certainly has alot of
topspace - even more than my Hager which is till fairly generous.

It's getting a quite hard to keep the 17th edition boards tidy,
especially with several RCBOs in use.

Is there a clip in shroud for the busbar?

On that generation of MK unit the busbar cover is just an extruded uPVC
section with a groove that locates over the bottom edge of the box and
is held in place by the front cover.

I've just added 2 circuits and re-terminated one I did in a hurry. No
photos, but I went for 6" stubs of 20mm round conduit with a female
adaptor on both ends, the bottom adaptor of course screwed into the top
of the CU.

They come up just above the ceiling joists and about an inch below the
basket tray which allows the cable to do a upturn (I like a bit of spare
which can be used if anything bad happens to the wire ends) then a
gentle seep down into the conduit. Coming in the top of the CU allows
plenty of room to put an S into the wires to both bring them forward to
the RCBO terminals and again, have a little spare without making a rats
nest.

I'm fairly pleased - it does not look as good as yours but it is
reasonably neat.

Cheers

Tim

--