DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   crabtree mcbs (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/312521-crabtree-mcbs.html)

Stephen[_6_] October 29th 10 03:23 PM

crabtree mcbs

Hello,

I've bought some crabtree mcbs (starbreaker?) from screwfix, as I
couldn't find anyone cheaper. They look slightly different to my
existing ones. I know there was a recall not so long ago but I thought
these ones were not affected, so why the redesign? Is it just a
coincidence? Are the changes just cosmetic or have the internals been
improved?

Thanks,
Stephen.

ARWadsworth October 29th 10 04:37 PM

crabtree mcbs

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I've bought some crabtree mcbs (starbreaker?) from screwfix, as I
couldn't find anyone cheaper. They look slightly different to my
existing ones. I know there was a recall not so long ago but I thought
these ones were not affected, so why the redesign? Is it just a
coincidence? Are the changes just cosmetic or have the internals been
improved?

Thanks,
Stephen.

It is just a cosmetic change. Wylex did similar in June.

--
Adam

Stephen[_12_] October 29th 10 08:00 PM

crabtree mcbs

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 16:37:26 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

It is just a cosmetic change. Wylex did similar in June.

Thank you. Why do they keep changing them. It's not as if mcbs are
fashion accessories that need to change by the season?

Thanks,
Stephen.

andrew October 30th 10 10:05 AM

crabtree mcbs

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:23:14 +0100
Stephen wrote:

I've bought some crabtree mcbs (starbreaker?) from screwfix, as I
couldn't find anyone cheaper. They look slightly different to my
existing ones. I know there was a recall not so long ago but I thought
these ones were not affected, so why the redesign? Is it just a
coincidence? Are the changes just cosmetic or have the internals been
improved?

I don't know about the changes but I did notice the recall notice in
TLC referred to 3 brands and inferred that they were all made by the
same factory.

AJH

ARWadsworth October 30th 10 10:15 AM

crabtree mcbs

wrote:

It is just a cosmetic change. Wylex did similar in June.

Thank you. Why do they keep changing them. It's not as if mcbs are
fashion accessories that need to change by the season?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Often they are changed when there is a tweak to the CU design.
http://www.electricaldigest.co.uk/housing/1495 does suggest that there is
something special about the new Wylex MCBs but I am sure that it is really
just sales talk.

Of course the manufacturers treat their CUs and MCBs as fashion
accessories - thats why their sales literature refers to them as eyecatching
or elegant.

Cheers
--
Adam

ARWadsworth October 30th 10 10:40 AM

crabtree mcbs

Stephen wrote:

I've bought some crabtree mcbs (starbreaker?) from screwfix, as I
couldn't find anyone cheaper. They look slightly different to my
existing ones. I know there was a recall not so long ago but I
thought these ones were not affected, so why the redesign? Is it
just a coincidence? Are the changes just cosmetic or have the
internals been improved?

I don't know about the changes but I did notice the recall notice in
TLC referred to 3 brands and inferred that they were all made by the
same factory.

AJH

Volex, Crabtree and Wylex. All owned by Electrium. Plus the recall extended
to rebadged MCBs such as Newlec, Steeple, Sector and Alto.

--
Adam

Stephen[_12_] October 31st 10 12:04 PM

crabtree mcbs

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 10:40:23 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Volex, Crabtree and Wylex. All owned by Electrium. Plus the recall extended
to rebadged MCBs such as Newlec, Steeple, Sector and Alto.

Thanks. I knew a lot had been recalled but AFAICR the crabtree
starbreakers were one of the few that weren't. I can understand that
they redesigned the "bad" ones to fix them but if these weren't bad, I
was suspicious why they had been changed. Perhaps it was just more
economical to do them all in one go? I was going to say perhaps they
are all the same inside with different shaped outsides but if that
were the case, the starbreakers would have been recalled too. Perhaps
I'm just too paranoid for my own good ;)