Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BS4800 to RAL

I am trying to order a Juliette balcony. We have been using a dark
grey paint for everything external and it is BS4800 00-A13. The
company that I am trying to order from wants to know an RAL value
instead. I cannot find any conversion tables, can anyone please help?
I would be happy with an approximation as I understand conversion is
not precise.

Many thanks

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan" wrote in message
I am trying to order a Juliette balcony. We have been using a dark
grey paint for everything external and it is BS4800 00-A13. The
company that I am trying to order from wants to know an RAL value
instead. I cannot find any conversion tables, can anyone please help?
I would be happy with an approximation as I understand conversion is
not precise.

Many thanks

Jonathan

You will not get an exact match, but RAL 7015 is a dark grey from my Powder
Coating colour chart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am trying to order a Juliette balcony. We have been using a dark
grey paint for everything external and it is BS4800 00-A13. The
company that I am trying to order from wants to know an RAL value
instead. I cannot find any conversion tables, can anyone please help?
I would be happy with an approximation as I understand conversion is
not precise.

there may well be something better but I tried to do a vaguely similar
match last year. The site I found then shows 00-A13 is close to (but of
course not the same as) RAL 7016, 7026, 7024 & 7022: see
http://www.perbang.dk/rgb/515556/

HTH. And that someone who knows or sees[1] more and better will be
along i.d.c.

[1] I have an obscure form of colour blindness so offer no opinion on
how close they are.
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:
I am trying to order a Juliette balcony. We have been using a dark
grey paint for everything external and it is BS4800 00-A13. The
company that I am trying to order from wants to know an RAL value
instead. I cannot find any conversion tables, can anyone please help?
I would be happy with an approximation as I understand conversion is
not precise.

Many thanks

Jonathan

You really need to compare up-to-date swatches under daylight conditions
to get the closest match.

If you go he -

http://www.e-paint.co.uk/Lab_values....ef=00%20A%2013

It gives Cie-LAB-1964 values for your BS 4800 00 A 13 colour.

L=38.853 A=-0.252 B=-0.587 D65

If you then plug the LAB values he -

http://www.easyrgb.com/index.php?X=CALC

Insert the following values:

Color space = Cie-L*ab

#1 = 38.853 #2=-0.252 #3=-0.587

K=leave blank

Illuminant=D65
Observer =1964

Click "start"

Then in the bottom RH corner of the black box, click "get commercial tints"

Leave the top two boxes and set the target color collection to RAL colors

Click start. Your BS colour is in the middle and the nearest RAL options
are round the outside.

By my reckoning, RAL 7010 is the closest match.

However, if you look he

http://www.icomsps.co.uk/colour_chart.htm

BS4800 00-A-13 is more like RAL 7015 than 7010, which just goes to show
that you *can't* really do this stuff looking at a computer monitor.

If you call in at your friendly local industrial paints supplier, they
may let you have a look at the swatches. Alternatively, you could buy
the swatches online.

HTH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
I am trying to order a Juliette balcony. We have been using a dark
grey paint for everything external and it is BS4800 00-A13. The
company that I am trying to order from wants to know an RAL value
instead. I cannot find any conversion tables, can anyone please help?
I would be happy with an approximation as I understand conversion is
not precise.

there may well be something better but I tried to do a vaguely similar
match last year. The site I found then shows 00-A13 is close to (but of
course not the same as) RAL 7016, 7026, 7024 & 7022: see
http://www.perbang.dk/rgb/515556/

Ooh, nice website. I see it gives different results again. According to
my monitor, RAL 7024 is now the closest match!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
Jonathan wrote:

I am trying to order a Juliette balcony. We have been using a dark
grey paint for everything external and it is BS4800 00-A13. The
company that I am trying to order from wants to know an RAL value
instead. I cannot find any conversion tables, can anyone please help?
I would be happy with an approximation as I understand conversion is
not precise.

Many thanks

Jonathan

00 A13 in the BS-4800 colour range is called Storm Grey and the
nearest match in RAL is either Slate Grey (7015) or Granite Grey
(7026) but I can't positively confirm which one until I view the
colour charts in true light tomorrow.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Oct, 19:57, wrote:
In message
* * * * * Jonathan wrote:

[...]

Thank you for all your help.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
Jonathan wrote:

On 15 Oct, 19:57, wrote:
In message
* * * * * Jonathan wrote:

I am trying to order a Juliette balcony. We have been using a dark
grey paint for everything external and it is BS4800 00-A13. The
company that I am trying to order from wants to know an RAL value
instead. I cannot find any conversion tables, can anyone please help?
I would be happy with an approximation as I understand conversion is
not precise.

Many thanks

Jonathan

00 A13 in the BS-4800 colour range is called Storm Grey and the
nearest match in RAL is either Slate Grey (7015) or Granite Grey
(7026) but I can't positively confirm which one until I view the
colour charts in true light tomorrow.

Stephen.

Thank you for all your help.

Jonathan

According to my colour charts, Slate Grey is a slightly lighter
grey than Storm Grey and Granite Grey has a touch of blue, neither
colours are an exact match, however Graphite Grey (7024) is a
close colour match looking at it in the correct light, Graphite
Gray possesses the same blackness as Slate grey so would in my
opinion be the closest colour match.

There are certain colours that cannot be matched by comparison
(RAL to BS etc) as there is no exact colour match only close
comparisons but the Graphite Grey is very close indeed.

Stephen.