Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi torque wrench - likely to be any good?

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...ys3_15822.htm?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2010 18:22, Jim K wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...ys3_15822.htm?

Many years ago, I was asked to test a domestic torque loader on our
calibrated instrument that we set them to, before torque loading
something on the aircraft. It was in a clean condition and I was
surprised at the accuracy of it. Just as good as the ones we used.

If you need it, my recommendation would to buy it and keep it clean and dry.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Oct, 18:22, Jim K wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...ys3_15822.htm?

Why do you need one? There are few things (collapsible one-shot
collars is one) that require to be assembled to an accurate torque.
Mostly the function of a torque wrench is to assemble a number of
fasteners to a _consistent_ torque. Short-term repeatability matters,
but accuracy isn't really that big a deal for most tasks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 10:22:40 -0700 (PDT), Jim K wrote:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...ys3_15822.htm?

I have one, seems to work. I use it for torqueing up wheel nuts when
swapping between the winter and summer sets. The wheels haven't
fallen off, yet. B-) They need something silly that is hard to
apply with a normal length ratchet, bar or, worse, the vechicle
supplied thing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Oct, 19:54, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 4 Oct, 18:22, Jim K wrote:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...ys3_15822.htm?

Why do you need one?

er....the most obvious use ;)

I have an oldskool "bend the bar whilst watching the scale" one which
is a pain in confined spaces and has been easily knocked out of
adjustment over the years...

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 4 Oct, 18:22, Jim K wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...ys3_15822.htm?

Why do you need one? There are few things (collapsible one-shot
collars is one) that require to be assembled to an accurate torque.
Mostly the function of a torque wrench is to assemble a number of
fasteners to a _consistent_ torque. Short-term repeatability matters,
but accuracy isn't really that big a deal for most tasks.

A lot of mechanics are very strong and a lot of the nuts and bolts -
especially when alloy cases came into common use - are easily broken or
stripped. Hence the other bike repairers friends, the helicoil and broken
stud extractor...

Well worth using a torque wrench so long as you make sure to set the gauge
properly, and, if in doubt, pull it with a spring balance just to make sure.

Mind you, some cylinder head bolts just feel silly tight when one tries to
get them to the figs you may find in a typically translated manual, so some
discretion and common sense may save you the odd embarrassing snap or strip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 4, 6:22*pm, Jim K wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...ys3_15822.htm?

Jim K

I much prefer the bar that bends type, they really cant go wrong. The
pointer can be bent out of position, but even then its obvious enough
and you just subtract the offset.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2010 21:22, Spamlet wrote:
"Andy wrote in message
On 4 Oct, 18:22, Jim wrote:
[...]

I had to get a tyre changed in an emergency some time ago and the
apprentice did it. He got the impact gun and removed the wheel, changed
the tyre and fitted the wheel back using the impact gun. Went to get the
torque loader and checked the nuts without turning them, as the impact
gun had tightened the nuts up far higher than the recommended torque
load. I had them checked very urgently.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spamlet wrote:

Well worth using a torque wrench so long as you make sure to set the gauge
properly, and, if in doubt, pull it with a spring balance just to make sure.

And check, check, check that you have the correct torque. I checked the
wheel hub to knuckle torque settings for my car several times, used a
torque wrench and ... broke the bolt because some numpty had added 70NM
to the correct torque setting when they wrote the service manual[1].

I found the correct torque setting of 100NM on line.

[1] I sometimes wonder if they do this for a little joke.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Oct, 22:19, Dave wrote:

I had to get a tyre changed in an emergency some time ago and the
apprentice did it. He got the impact gun and removed the wheel, changed
the tyre and fitted the wheel back using the impact gun.

I haven't seen that happen in the last 10 years. Maybe it's going to a
decent tyre fitter, but I think they have generally got the message on
that one.

Time used to be that you needed a big long torque wrench to change
tyres. You didn't need to use it, just stood behind the guy with the
air wrench and swung it menacingly...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy wrote in message
On 4 Oct, 18:22, Jim wrote:
[...]

I always used to keep a metre odd of steel pipe in the boot to fit over my
socket set wrench, for just that reason. I often had to stand on it -
pushing downward so as not to lift the car off the ground - in changing
wheels that had been last put on by the tyre changing lads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tabby" wrote in message
On Oct 4, 6:22 pm, Jim K wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...ys3_15822.htm?

Jim K

I much prefer the bar that bends type, they really cant go wrong. The
pointer can be bent out of position, but even then its obvious enough
and you just subtract the offset.

NT

The trouble with them is that they tend to be on the long side and you
either can't get at them at all or you can't look at the dial at the same
time as you are heaving - and my one certainly did bend on some of those
wheel bolts. Once I had used a click stop one and torqued all up nicely,
just by listening for the click, with no skinned knuckles, the bendy bar
type was largely relegated to just another extension bar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Oct, 11:23, "Spamlet" wrote:

I always used to keep a metre odd of steel pipe in the boot to fit over my
socket set wrench, for just that reason. I often had to stand on it -
pushing downward so as not to lift the car off the ground - snip

reliant robin?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Spamlet" wrote in message

I always used to keep a metre odd of steel pipe in the boot to fit over my
socket set wrench, for just that reason. I often had to stand on it -
pushing downward so as not to lift the car off the ground - in changing
wheels that had been last put on by the tyre changing lads.

The tyre place I use always uses a torque wrench and they adjust it to match
the car.
On a car I borrowed once I had to put the jack under the wheel wrench to
undo a nut, saves having to carry a long bar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
: Spamlet wrote:
:
: Well worth using a torque wrench so long as you make sure to
set the gauge
: properly, and, if in doubt, pull it with a spring balance
just to make sure.
:
: And check, check, check that you have the correct torque. I
checked the
: wheel hub to knuckle torque settings for my car several times,
used a
: torque wrench and ... broke the bolt because some numpty had
added 70NM
: to the correct torque setting when they wrote the service
manual[1].
:
: I found the correct torque setting of 100NM on line.
:

Well that is what come of some numpty idiot messing with what
they do not understand, any experienced mechanic would spotted
the error when either checking the manual or by the 'feel' when
applying the torque...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Spamlet" wrote in message

I always used to keep a metre odd of steel pipe in the boot to fit
over my socket set wrench, for just that reason. I often had to
stand on it - pushing downward so as not to lift the car off the
ground - in changing wheels that had been last put on by the tyre
changing lads.

The tyre place I use always uses a torque wrench and they adjust it
to match the car.
On a car I borrowed once I had to put the jack under the wheel wrench
to undo a nut, saves having to carry a long bar.

I remember watching a tyre place put two new tyres on my car, refit the nuts
with the air wrench and then "test" the nuts with a torque wrench. I made
them slacken the nuts off and do the job properly.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerry wrote:

Well that is what come of some numpty idiot messing with what
they do not understand, any experienced mechanic would spotted
the error when either checking the manual or by the 'feel' when
applying the torque...

Back to troll eh, you brainless ****wit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:
"Spamlet" wrote in message

I always used to keep a metre odd of steel pipe in the boot to fit
over my socket set wrench, for just that reason. I often had to
stand on it - pushing downward so as not to lift the car off the
ground - in changing wheels that had been last put on by the tyre
changing lads.

The tyre place I use always uses a torque wrench and they adjust it
to match the car.
On a car I borrowed once I had to put the jack under the wheel wrench
to undo a nut, saves having to carry a long bar.

I remember watching a tyre place put two new tyres on my car, refit the
nuts with the air wrench and then "test" the nuts with a torque wrench. I
made them slacken the nuts off and do the job properly.

These guys back off with the torque wrench and then tighten it.
The do use the air wrench to put them on but it doesn't do them up tight,
they are usually adjustable to stop them over tightening.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
: Jerry wrote:
:
: Well that is what come of some numpty idiot messing with what
: they do not understand, any experienced mechanic would
spotted
: the error when either checking the manual or by the 'feel'
when
: applying the torque...
:
: Back to troll eh, you brainless ****wit.

Talking about yoreuyself Firth again, after all you [1] were the
numpty who "broke the bolt", not me - all I was did was state a
fact that only numpty would manage to snap a bolt.

[1] quote
"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .

And check, check, check that you have the correct torque. I
checked the
wheel hub to knuckle torque settings for my car several times,
used a
torque wrench and ... broke the bolt because some numpty had
added 70NM
to the correct torque setting when they wrote the service
manual[1].

I found the correct torque setting of 100NM on line.
/quote

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Spamlet" wrote in message

[...]

You shouldn't back off with a torque wrench, they were never designed
for that.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Spamlet" wrote in message

[...]

Fair enough. But the ones I made do the job properly certainly complained
about me making them do their job properly.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2010 20:21, Steve Firth wrote:
wrote:

Well that is what come of some numpty idiot messing with what
they do not understand, any experienced mechanic would spotted
the error when either checking the manual or by the 'feel' when
applying the torque...

Back to troll eh, you brainless ****wit.

Jerry is right about the feel. I have worked on tools most of my life
and it is right, you do get a feel for the torque you are applying with
a spanner or ratchet. I've probably lost it since I have been off the
tools too long now.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Jerry wrote:

Well that is what come of some numpty idiot messing with what
they do not understand, any experienced mechanic would spotted
the error when either checking the manual or by the 'feel' when
applying the torque...

Back to troll eh, you brainless ****wit.

Jerry is just the village idiot. HE claims that I am a troll because I used
a gmail address for the weekend when I was using someone elses computer.

Didn't you know that our Jerry is a domestic wiring expert, a computer
expert and now it seems an expert on torque wrenches and car manuals? The
guy is a ****ing undiscovered genius.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh indeed, when he posts he reveals that he knows 10% of **** all.

HE claims that I am a troll because I used a gmail address for the
weekend when I was using someone elses computer.

To a moronic troll like Jerky, everyone has to be a troll. It's all he
knows.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

Jerry is right about the feel. I have worked on tools most of my life
and it is right, you do get a feel for the torque you are applying with
a spanner or ratchet. I've probably lost it since I have been off the
tools too long now.

I've worked on my cars for years now, the problem with these bolts is
that the torque is high anyway and there's very little movement between
sufficient and broken. Jerky is talking crap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

: Jerry wrote:
:
: Well that is what come of some numpty idiot messing with what
: they do not understand, any experienced mechanic would
spotted
: the error when either checking the manual or by the 'feel'
when
: applying the torque...
:
: Back to troll eh, you brainless ****wit.

Talking about yoreuyself Firth again, after all you [1] were the
numpty who "broke the bolt", not me - all I was did was state a
fact that only numpty would manage to snap a bolt.

yawn Are you that ****ing stupid that you think that I don't recall
what I wrote? And you're wrong, as ever. But go ahead fill me with your
knowledge... tell me the correct torque for the other bolts on my car...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
: Jerry wrote:
:
snip
:
: Talking about yoreuyself Firth again, after all you [1] were
the
: numpty who "broke the bolt", not me - all I was did was state
: fact that only numpty would manage to snap a bolt.
:
: yawn Are you that ****ing stupid

the rest of Firths trolling abuse snipped

Your constant bull**** and trolling is getting very tiresome.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

: Dave wrote:
:
: Jerry is right about the feel. I have worked on tools most of
my life
: and it is right, you do get a feel for the torque you are
applying with
: a spanner or ratchet. I've probably lost it since I have been
off the
: tools too long now.
:
: I've worked on my cars for years now, the problem with these
bolts is
: that the torque is high anyway and there's very little movement
between
: sufficient and broken. Jerky is talking crap.

So how come everyone else, who has a clue, is able to work on the
same make and model of your car and they don't break such bolts,
the fact is only a total numtpy would do as you did Mr Firth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .

snip
:
: To a moronic troll like Jerky, everyone has to be a troll. It's
all he
: knows.

Well at least I'm not a numpty who breaks bolts...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Oct, 21:45, "ARWadsworth" wrote:

Jerry is just the village idiot.

Didn't you know that our Jerry is a domestic wiring expert, a computer
expert and now it seems an expert on torque wrenches and car manuals? The
guy is a ****ing undiscovered genius.

Do you know which village is missing its idiot? It's not one in North
Somerset by any chance? Fond of celebrating on the 5th of November?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerry wrote:
"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .

snip

To a moronic troll like Jerky, everyone has to be a troll. It's all
he knows.

Well at least I'm not a numpty who breaks bolts...

Just stick to being a moronic troll. You do it so well.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2010 22:41, Steve Firth wrote:
wrote:

Jerry is right about the feel. I have worked on tools most of my life
and it is right, you do get a feel for the torque you are applying with
a spanner or ratchet. I've probably lost it since I have been off the
tools too long now.

I've worked on my cars for years now, the problem with these bolts is
that the torque is high anyway and there's very little movement between
sufficient and broken. Jerky is talking crap.

When you are into torque numbers above single figures I would agree. The
wing pylons that supported the drop tanks and the missiles has to be
torqued up we had to do it by putting your heals into the wing slats to
gain the torque.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 5 Oct, 21:45, "ARWadsworth" wrote:

Jerry is just the village idiot.

Didn't you know that our Jerry is a domestic wiring expert, a
computer expert and now it seems an expert on torque wrenches and
car manuals? The guy is a ****ing undiscovered genius.

Do you know which village is missing its idiot? It's not one in North
Somerset by any chance? Fond of celebrating on the 5th of November?

Jerry lives in Swindon. He might have relatives in Somerset.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerry wrote:

So how come everyone else, who has a clue, is able to work on the
same make and model of your car and they don't break such bolts,

What make and model do you refer to?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Jerry lives in Swindon.

I think you mean "Jerry infests Swindon".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:

These guys back off with the torque wrench and then tighten it.
The do use the air wrench to put them on but it doesn't do them up tight,
they are usually adjustable to stop them over tightening.

some of these places use torque sockets - there is a longer stem between
gun and socket that twists. Idea is it's impossible to over torque it
(assuming they use the correct socket...).

We were sceptical but when tested, they worked everytime.

things like http://www.torqstik.com/ - my dad has a set of snapon ones
but I suspect they are all similar. Wouldn't rely on somewhere like ****fit
using such a thing though - just that it's possible.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 5, 11:03*pm, "Jerry" wrote:
"Steve Firth" wrote in message

.. .: Jerry wrote:

:
snip
:
: Talking about yoreuyself Firth again, after all you [1] were
the
: numpty who "broke the bolt", not me - all I was did was state
: fact that only numpty would manage to snap a bolt.
:
: yawn *Are you that ****ing stupid

the rest of Firths trolling abuse snipped

Your constant bull**** and trolling is getting very tiresome.

Talking about yourself again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Oct, 23:42, "ARWadsworth" wrote:

Jerry lives in Swindon.

In which case: Sorry Jerry.

Impact wrench torque mark Metalworking 38 February 25th 08 01:49 PM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Don Foreman Metalworking 0 January 23rd 08 08:30 AM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 0 January 21st 08 11:51 PM
Torque wrench nthng2snet UK diy 10 April 3rd 05 11:29 AM
What's a torque wrench? Claudia Home Repair 30 June 1st 04 04:28 AM