Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing stains on an acrylic bath?

On Sep 24, 11:18 pm, ".newman" wrote:
My champagne coloured acrylic bath has a couple of dark stains, probably
caused by hair dye. I have tried bleach and other household cleaners
without success. Anything else I could try?

I polish my acrylic handbasin and shower base with Brasso.
But you'd better wait for more comments in case there's a better way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 24, 12:18*pm, ".newman" wrote:
My champagne coloured acrylic bath has a couple of dark stains, probably
caused by hair dye. I have tried bleach and other household cleaners
without success. Anything else I could try?

Regards

If you really cant find any info on google, the following clean many
things off:
paraffin
ammonia
caustic soda
various acids, eg sulphuric, HCl, etc
cream cleaner

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 04:14:40 -0700 (PDT), Tabby
wrote:

On Sep 24, 12:18*pm, ".newman" wrote:
My champagne coloured acrylic bath has a couple of dark stains, probably
caused by hair dye. I have tried bleach and other household cleaners
without success. Anything else I could try?

Regards

If you really cant find any info on google, the following clean many
things off:
paraffin
ammonia
caustic soda
various acids, eg sulphuric, HCl, etc
cream cleaner

Angle grinder.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Sep 24, 11:18 pm, ".newman" wrote:
My champagne coloured acrylic bath has a couple of dark stains, probably
caused by hair dye. I have tried bleach and other household cleaners
without success. Anything else I could try?

I polish my acrylic handbasin and shower base with Brasso.
But you'd better wait for more comments in case there's a better way.

Interesting technique to have discovered, Matty.

I seem to recall 'making' 'brasso' with just cotton wool damped in white
spirit with a dash of ammonia. I'd have thought you'd typically need
something acidic on those items - unless you are in a soft water area I
suppose, but if there is a little mild 'grinding paste' in the real Brasso
as well, that might explain it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

".newman" wrote in message
news
My champagne coloured acrylic bath has a couple of dark stains, probably
caused by hair dye. I have tried bleach and other household cleaners
without success. Anything else I could try?

Regards

Thinking about it: don't people treat their hair with peroxide first? In
which case you may find that will bleach your dye stains too. Our 'pound
shop' seems to have surprisingly large amounts of peroxide in all
strengths - some of which I thought were explosive! - next to its range of
hair dyes, so I reckon it would be worth a try.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 6:21 am, "Spamlet" wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

On Sep 24, 11:18 pm, ".newman" wrote:
My champagne coloured acrylic bath has a couple of dark stains, probably
caused by hair dye. I have tried bleach and other household cleaners
without success. Anything else I could try?

I polish my acrylic handbasin and shower base with Brasso.
But you'd better wait for more comments in case there's a better way.

Interesting technique to have discovered, Matty.

I seem to recall 'making' 'brasso' with just cotton wool damped in white
spirit with a dash of ammonia. I'd have thought you'd typically need
something acidic on those items - unless you are in a soft water area I
suppose, but if there is a little mild 'grinding paste' in the real Brasso
as well, that might explain it.

I used to make patterns out of Perspex. I would make the desired shape
by gluing pieces of perspex together, and machine and sand into shape.
Then I would polish with Brasso to get a high gloss and pour two-part
moulding rubber over the pattern. I could then cast epoxy in the mould
and got a very polished finish.
So, I assume Perspex is the same as acrylic.
What I do know is that if you polish an acylic shower base with
Brasso, it will resist dirt for a long time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

[...]

Hmm,
Wonder if it's worth trying to polish my ancient plastic spectacle lenses
with it...

Cheers,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Spamlet" wrote in message

".newman" wrote in message
news
My champagne coloured acrylic bath has a couple of dark stains, probably
caused by hair dye. I have tried bleach and other household cleaners
without success. Anything else I could try?

Regards

Thinking about it: don't people treat their hair with peroxide first? In
which case you may find that will bleach your dye stains too. Our 'pound
shop' seems to have surprisingly large amounts of peroxide in all
strengths - some of which I thought were explosive! - next to its range of
hair dyes, so I reckon it would be worth a try.

Brasso's the best thing m8, do the whole bath with some elbow grease,
you'll think
you have a new one

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A Plumber" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Spamlet" wrote in message

".newman" wrote in message
news
My champagne coloured acrylic bath has a couple of dark stains, probably
caused by hair dye. I have tried bleach and other household cleaners
without success. Anything else I could try?

Regards

Thinking about it: don't people treat their hair with peroxide first? In
which case you may find that will bleach your dye stains too. Our 'pound
shop' seems to have surprisingly large amounts of peroxide in all
strengths - some of which I thought were explosive! - next to its range
of hair dyes, so I reckon it would be worth a try.

Brasso's the best thing m8, do the whole bath with some elbow grease,
you'll think
you have a new one

And will it work on plastic spectacle lenses too?

PS: as it happens, the missus had left some shoe dye in the bath, so I put
some peroxide on it. One, it would not wet the dye, and two, even when
scrubbed with it, it did not bleach - but that was shoe dye not hair dye, so
may be OT. Will try the Brasso next.

Cheers,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Silver polish is actually finer than brasso - at least where
spectacles are concerned.

If you have a stuffed anti-reflection (AR) coating, Etch All can
remove it with care. Silver polish Brasso polish Toothpaste re
spectacles.

However polishing out scratches of any depth may affect the
prescription re distant text reading. You can pick up new glasses with
1.67 lenses (ultra thin) of non-bifocal with "traditional gold frames"
for £47.50 delivered from onestopglasses and similar places (eg, Solo
10 at that website are £12.50 for the frames, -4.50 lenses will push
you to ultrathin so £35 extra). Worth delegating an old pair for DIY
use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

[...]

I doubt that plastic lenses would polish well enough to see through. I
have used cerium oxide for polishing glass but it's hard work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2010 12:18, .newman wrote:
My champagne coloured acrylic bath has a couple of dark stains, probably
caused by hair dye. I have tried bleach and other household cleaners
without success. Anything else I could try?

Regards

Thanks to all. I tried Brasso first and the stains are much reduced. I
will continue with more treatment and hopefully the stains will be fully
removed.

Regards
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

[...]

Ah: shame - as it's the only pair I have that work (ish) I'll leave that
experiment for now.

Cerium oxide is not something I've come across: how did you come to be
working with that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"js.b1" wrote in message
Silver polish is actually finer than brasso - at least where
spectacles are concerned.

If you have a stuffed anti-reflection (AR) coating, Etch All can
remove it with care. Silver polish Brasso polish Toothpaste re
spectacles.

However polishing out scratches of any depth may affect the
prescription re distant text reading. You can pick up new glasses with
1.67 lenses (ultra thin) of non-bifocal with "traditional gold frames"
for £47.50 delivered from onestopglasses and similar places (eg, Solo
10 at that website are £12.50 for the frames, -4.50 lenses will push
you to ultrathin so £35 extra). Worth delegating an old pair for DIY
use.

Yes I've used toothpaste as a mild grinding paste on other things.
It is about time I got some new glasses (actually has been for a number of
years - but we've all been through that thread before. I'll get around to
it; probably some time after I get around to seeing the dentist... ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

[...]

I use it to polish windows. I can polish out the scratches caused by a
missing windscreen wiper, and some of the scratches caused by morons
who use sandpaper near the edges of the windows of heritage vehicles.
It's not easy - it could take half an hour to polish a small area
using an electric drill with a leather pad. And then that area could
heat up and crack.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

Cerium oxide is not something I've come across: how did you come to be
working with that?

I use it to polish windows. I can polish out the scratches caused by a
missing windscreen wiper, and some of the scratches caused by morons
who use sandpaper near the edges of the windows of heritage vehicles.
It's not easy - it could take half an hour to polish a small area
using an electric drill with a leather pad. And then that area could
heat up and crack.

You can buy it from telescope manufacturing suppliers.
I have used it in the past to polish mirrors after grinding them with
carborundum (sp?) grit in grades from 60 to 1000+.
The pitch lap with a nylon shirt on it works wonders for polishing mirrors,
knocks hours off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Matty F" wrote in message

Cerium oxide is not something I've come across: how did you come to be
working with that?

I use it to polish windows. I can polish out the scratches caused by a
missing windscreen wiper, and some of the scratches caused by morons
who use sandpaper near the edges of the windows of heritage vehicles.
It's not easy - it could take half an hour to polish a small area
using an electric drill with a leather pad. And then that area could
heat up and crack.

You can buy it from telescope manufacturing suppliers.
I have used it in the past to polish mirrors after grinding them with
carborundum (sp?) grit in grades from 60 to 1000+.
The pitch lap with a nylon shirt on it works wonders for polishing
mirrors, knocks hours off.

Very impressed with the dedicated d-i-y of the pair of you!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

For anyone looking at this now and needing help, This is what worked for me when I stained my white acrylic bath with pink clothes dye (which leaked from a scarf I'd left to soak).

*Put in plug.
*Threw half a pot of baking powder on the stained area.
*Half a bottle of lemon juice.
*Left for 10 secs
*Scrubbed with a typical kitchen sponge (with the green soft scourer - do not use anything too scratchy).
*added water and scrubbed again.
*drained and rinsed (much better but still pink)
*repeated the baking powder and lemon juice
*filled water to cover the stained area and scrubbed more.
*left for 2-3 hours
*scrubbed with the water still in
*drained and rinsed (tiny bit pink)
*Bathroom bleach spray, scrub, rinse.
*99% back to normal!
*Phew!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:16:32 PM UTC+1, wrote:
For anyone looking at this now and needing help, This is what worked for me when I stained my white acrylic bath with pink clothes dye (which leaked from a scarf I'd left to soak).
*Put in plug.
*Threw half a pot of baking powder on the stained area.
*Half a bottle of lemon juice.
*Left for 10 secs
*Scrubbed with a typical kitchen sponge (with the green soft scourer - do not use anything too scratchy).
*added water and scrubbed again.
*drained and rinsed (much better but still pink)
*repeated the baking powder and lemon juice
*filled water to cover the stained area and scrubbed more.
*left for 2-3 hours
*scrubbed with the water still in
*drained and rinsed (tiny bit pink)
*Bathroom bleach spray, scrub, rinse.
*99% back to normal!
*Phew!

I suspect you could have saved time by just bunging bleach in.

NT

Acrylic Bath Waste Thomarse UK diy 2 June 16th 08 08:36 AM
Cutting holes in acrylic bath LaserMark[_2_] UK diy 11 September 12th 07 01:14 PM
steel or acrylic bath? andy UK diy 24 January 10th 07 10:38 AM
Acrylic bath scuff-marks Bruce Hall UK diy 6 July 27th 06 07:15 AM
acrylic vs cast iron bath tub pat Home Repair 10 May 8th 05 07:43 PM