Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Computer External Drive

On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 20:07:01 +0100, "John"
wrote:

I took my external hard drive to my daughter's house to 'lift' a video and
some music of her note book PC which has Windows 7.

I assumed that I would be able to just plug into the USB port - but the note
book would identify the external drive - but wouldn't open it or even
acknowledge anything was on it.

Any ideas what was the issue - would I need to install the drivers onto the
notebook?

With W7 you just plug the usb in and after "installing device", it
works.

Is your drive one of those ones that takes its power from the usb
port?

A notebook may not have enough power spare to at the port to spin an
external drive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I took my external hard drive to my daughter's house to 'lift' a video and
some music of her note book PC which has Windows 7.

I assumed that I would be able to just plug into the USB port - but the
note
book would identify the external drive - but wouldn't open it or even
acknowledge anything was on it.

Any ideas what was the issue - would I need to install the drivers onto
the
notebook?

With W7 you just plug the usb in and after "installing device", it
works.

Is your drive one of those ones that takes its power from the usb
port?

A notebook may not have enough power spare to at the port to spin an
external drive.

It is NTFS and has a proper power supply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I took my external hard drive to my daughter's house to 'lift' a video
and
some music of her note book PC which has Windows 7.

I assumed that I would be able to just plug into the USB port - but the
note
book would identify the external drive - but wouldn't open it or even
acknowledge anything was on it.

Any ideas what was the issue - would I need to install the drivers onto
the
notebook?

With W7 you just plug the usb in and after "installing device", it
works.

Is your drive one of those ones that takes its power from the usb
port?

A notebook may not have enough power spare to at the port to spin an
external drive.

It is NTFS and has a proper power supply.

It may just need a drive letter assigning in disk manager...

Control Panel - Administrative tools - Computer Management - Storage -
Disk Management
Then do you see the drive listed here without a drive letter?
If so, you can assign it a drive letter here, and bob is your father's
brother.

Toby...

OT Computer External Drive OG UK diy 0 September 6th 10 08:49 PM
OT Computer External Drive Jeff Gaines UK diy 0 September 6th 10 08:21 PM
Anyone have an External Hard drive available? [email protected] Metalworking 0 April 7th 10 04:22 PM
Anyone have an External Hard drive available? [email protected] Metalworking 3 April 7th 10 03:08 AM
No open-drain in V5 to drive an external LED? ratztafaz Electronics 0 July 16th 08 11:07 AM