DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT Computer External Drive (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/309502-re-ot-computer-external-drive.html)

Jeff Gaines September 6th 10 08:21 PM

OT Computer External Drive

On 06/09/2010 in message John wrote:

I took my external hard drive to my daughter's house to 'lift' a video and
some music of her note book PC which has Windows 7.

I assumed that I would be able to just plug into the USB port - but the
note book would identify the external drive - but wouldn't open it or even
acknowledge anything was on it.

Any ideas what was the issue - would I need to install the drivers onto
the notebook?

What file system is on the external HD? Windows will only recognise DOS
rooted filing systems and NTFS.

--
Those are my principles – and if you don’t like them, well, I have others.
(Groucho Marx)