Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY stands for Draw It Yourself, right?

Recommendations, please, for photo software which is as easy to use as
Picture it! 7, which is what I use now, but with more features and not as
mind-numbing to learn as Photoshop, the manual for which is an excellent
cure for insomnia.

I'd get Picture It! Publishing but it's no longer available, which is a
shame as it looks to have the extra features that 7 is missing.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
o.uk...
Recommendations, please, for photo software which is as easy to use as
Picture it! 7, which is what I use now, but with more features and not as
mind-numbing to learn as Photoshop, the manual for which is an excellent
cure for insomnia.

I'd get Picture It! Publishing but it's no longer available, which is a
shame as it looks to have the extra features that 7 is missing.

Si

I personally use Paint Shop Photo Pro X2 Ultimate. But if Picture It is what
you are used to, would this fit the bill:
http://bnozama.ecrater.com/p/5252552...-photo-premium ?

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:40:18 +0100, Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot wrote:

Recommendations, please, for photo software which is as easy to use as
Picture it! 7, which is what I use now, but with more features and not
as mind-numbing to learn as Photoshop, the manual for which is an
excellent cure for insomnia.

I'd get Picture It! Publishing but it's no longer available, which is a
shame as it looks to have the extra features that 7 is missing.

I've no experience of Picture it! but I've used this:

Photofiltre
http://photofiltre.en.softonic.com/
or
http://photofiltre.free.fr/frames_en.htm

There are free and paid versions available. It runs on linux under wine
too. :-)

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug, 21:40, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:
Recommendations, please, for photo software which is as easy to use as
Picture it! 7, which is what I use now, but with more features and not as
mind-numbing to learn as Photoshop, the manual for which is an excellent
cure for insomnia.

I'd get Picture It! Publishing but it's no longer available, which is a
shame as it looks to have the extra features that 7 is missing.

Si

Suggest you look here

http://www.techsupportalert.com/

under Image View and Edit

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Recommendations, please, for photo software which is as easy to use as
Picture it! 7, which is what I use now, but with more features and not as
mind-numbing to learn as Photoshop, the manual for which is an excellent
cure for insomnia.

I'd get Picture It! Publishing but it's no longer available, which is a
shame as it looks to have the extra features that 7 is missing.

Si

Nah! Photoshop is far out in front. You need the right third party
book.
I find the "****** in easy steps" to be the best.
A lot of these books are too full of Geekspeak to be coherant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
wrote:
Recommendations, please, for photo software which is as easy to use as
Picture it! 7, which is what I use now, but with more features and not as
mind-numbing to learn as Photoshop, the manual for which is an excellent
cure for insomnia.

I'd get Picture It! Publishing but it's no longer available, which is a
shame as it looks to have the extra features that 7 is missing.

Si

Nah! Photoshop is far out in front. You need the right third party
book.
I find the "****** in easy steps" to be the best.
A lot of these books are too full of Geekspeak to be coherant.

Well besides being expensive, Photoshop is way more complicated than the
general user needs or wants.

Never used Picture it, so not sure what it's like. What do you want toa
actually do with the photos?

But mostly here we use Photoshop Elements (basically a cut down PS that
is easier to use, whilst still being as powerful as most peopel will
ever need.) - it has two parts an editor, which is very good - it has
simpler views, which is good for when you just want to tweak some
photos. The full editor does loads more.

It also has an Organiser, which is the bit that we use most. As it's
much easier to manage 1000's of photos via this than via just stickign
them in folders.

You can download trial version from Adobe, Morgan often have old version
going cheap.

The editor bit of Googles Picasa is not bad either, and simple to use.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Recommendations, please, for photo software which is as easy to use as
Picture it! 7, which is what I use now, but with more features and not as
mind-numbing to learn as Photoshop, the manual for which is an excellent
cure for insomnia.

I'd get Picture It! Publishing but it's no longer available, which is a
shame as it looks to have the extra features that 7 is missing.

Si

Suggest you look here

http://www.techsupportalert.com/

under Image View and Edit

Rob

Oh, well suggested! I've never seen that site before so I can spend half the
day downloading freebies now instead of getting cold and wet walking the
dogs. Good chap!

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Recommendations, please, for photo software which is as easy to use as
Picture it! 7, which is what I use now, but with more features and not as
mind-numbing to learn as Photoshop, the manual for which is an excellent
cure for insomnia.

I'd get Picture It! Publishing but it's no longer available, which is a
shame as it looks to have the extra features that 7 is missing.

Si

Nah! Photoshop is far out in front. You need the right third party
book.
I find the "****** in easy steps" to be the best.
A lot of these books are too full of Geekspeak to be coherant.

I know Photoshop is good but the manual... I just can't read it!

"You can use tools or alpha channels to freeze areas of the preview image to
protect them from further changes, or to thaw the frozen areas. If you make
a selection before using the Liquify command, any unselected areas that
appear in the preview image are initially frozen. Certain reconstruction
modes change unfrozen areas in relation to the distortions in frozen areas.
(See Reconstructing distortions.) You can hide or show the mask for frozen
areas, change the mask color, and use a Brush Pressure option to create
partial freezes and thaws."

If you fell asleep then, I'm sorry.

I'm sure I've got a 'Photoshop for idiots with a seriously short attention
span' pdf on here somewhere. Maybe I should try again...

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Recommendations, please, for photo software which is as easy to use as
Picture it! 7, which is what I use now, but with more features and not
as
mind-numbing to learn as Photoshop, the manual for which is an excellent
cure for insomnia.

I'd get Picture It! Publishing but it's no longer available, which is a
shame as it looks to have the extra features that 7 is missing.

Si

Suggest you look here

http://www.techsupportalert.com/

under Image View and Edit

Rob

Oh, well suggested! I've never seen that site before so I can spend half
the day downloading freebies now instead of getting cold and wet walking
the dogs. Good chap!

Si

Seconded - great site. Another bookmark added! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Recommendations, please, for photo software which is as easy to use as
Picture it! 7, which is what I use now, but with more features and not as
mind-numbing to learn as Photoshop, the manual for which is an excellent
cure for insomnia.

I'd get Picture It! Publishing but it's no longer available, which is a
shame as it looks to have the extra features that 7 is missing.

Si

Nah! Photoshop is far out in front. You need the right third party
book.
I find the "****** in easy steps" to be the best.
A lot of these books are too full of Geekspeak to be coherant.

I've tried to use Photoshop many times. But I always fall foul of a few
things. Like where is a standard undo button, for instance? Why oh why can
they not just stick to some standard Windows interface concepts. Nothing
ever seems clear with Photoshop. In PSPX2, I can perform easy perspective
correction, on, say, some stained glass that was above eye level in a
church, by selecting 'perspective correction', and then clicking the four
points that I want to form my rectangle. With Photoshop, for some reason, I
have to use the crop command. But I don't want to crop!

And then, of course, there's the expense of full Photoshop (proper
perspective correction isn't in PE). I know that many people just pirate
Photoshop - but seeing as I have PSPX2, fully licensed, and easy to use, I
prefer to stick with it. Granted, Photoshop gives the best, most
professional results - but it just needs too much investment of time to
learn, when I can get good enough results with what I know already.

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

If you are clever enough for photoshop then use gimp, it is free and
almost the same.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Recommendations, please, for photo software which is as easy to use as
Picture it! 7, which is what I use now, but with more features and not as
mind-numbing to learn as Photoshop, the manual for which is an excellent
cure for insomnia.

I'd get Picture It! Publishing but it's no longer available, which is a
shame as it looks to have the extra features that 7 is missing.

Si

I like Photoscape, its free, not fully featured but has some of the
most useful ones

http://www.photoscape.org

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:

wrote:
[...]

...until it gets a BIG graphic object, when the whole computer dies for
ten minutes while it rearranges its memory.

I advise Corel Photopaint. Lots of older versions available cheap.

Makes good use of the hardware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chris French" wrote in message
In message
, harry
writes
wrote:
Recommendations, please, for photo software which is as easy to use as
Picture it! 7, which is what I use now, but with more features and not
as
mind-numbing to learn as Photoshop, the manual for which is an excellent
cure for insomnia.

I'd get Picture It! Publishing but it's no longer available, which is a
shame as it looks to have the extra features that 7 is missing.

Si

Nah! Photoshop is far out in front. You need the right third party
book.
I find the "****** in easy steps" to be the best.
A lot of these books are too full of Geekspeak to be coherant.

Well besides being expensive, Photoshop is way more complicated than the
general user needs or wants.

That was my impression.

Never used Picture it, so not sure what it's like. What do you want toa
actually do with the photos?

It's not at all bad for fairly simple photo manipulation but still easy to
use. I'd like to be able to alter perspective though, and blur, darken,
lighten, smudge etc., none of which this version does. I can do this in
Photoshop but I have to keep remembering how, and which keyboard button to
press in conjunction with the mouse to do certain things, and it just gets
annoying. It's not intuitive, to me. Picture It doesn't need to be *much*
better than it is, which is why I was looking for a newer version.

I like to do things like this:
http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/rr149/gytha_ogg/Now%20and%20Then/ and I
feel that a few more tools wouldn't hurt. I only just discovered that I can
easily remove a section of a layer to reveal the layer underneath in Picture
it!

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Whitworth" wrote in message

I've tried to use Photoshop many times. But I always fall foul of a few
things. Like where is a standard undo button, for instance?

Yes! That sort of thing really annoyed me too, and when I selected a part of
a photo to move it or alter it in some way it was far from obvious how I got
rid of the horrible moving outline. Deselect in the menu bar apparently.
There's probably yet another keyboard 'shortcut', but it's not a shortcut if
you have to keep referring to a printed list of instructions.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
o.uk...

"John Whitworth" wrote in message

I've tried to use Photoshop many times. But I always fall foul of a few
things. Like where is a standard undo button, for instance?

Yes! That sort of thing really annoyed me too, and when I selected a part
of a photo to move it or alter it in some way it was far from obvious how
I got rid of the horrible moving outline. Deselect in the menu bar
apparently. There's probably yet another keyboard 'shortcut', but it's not
a shortcut if you have to keep referring to a printed list of
instructions.

Si

'Undo' in Photoshop is the same as in any softwa
Ctrl-Z with the keyboard.
Or with the mouse: Edit/Undo

Deselect :- Ctrl-D

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
o.uk...

"John Whitworth" wrote in message

I've tried to use Photoshop many times. But I always fall foul of a few
things. Like where is a standard undo button, for instance?

Yes! That sort of thing really annoyed me too, and when I selected a part
of a photo to move it or alter it in some way it was far from obvious how
I got rid of the horrible moving outline. Deselect in the menu bar
apparently. There's probably yet another keyboard 'shortcut', but it's
not a shortcut if you have to keep referring to a printed list of
instructions.

Si

'Undo' in Photoshop is the same as in any softwa
Ctrl-Z with the keyboard.
Or with the mouse: Edit/Undo

Isn't this exactly my point? In Picture It undo and redo are on the top bar,
a curved arrow to the left to undo and another to the right to redo.
Simples.

Deselect :- Ctrl-D

Well, yes, a keyboard shortcut for me to remember. One of a thousand others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

JW- Hide quoted text -

On the old versions of PS you can only undo the last operation.
Later versions have multiple undo but it needs hugely increased
computer memory and disk space as every version (between each
operation is stored in temorary files) There's a dropdown "history"
feature that controls this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
o.uk...

I like to do things like this:
http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/rr149/gytha_ogg/Now%20and%20Then/ and
I feel that a few more tools wouldn't hurt. I only just discovered that I
can easily remove a section of a layer to reveal the layer underneath in
Picture it!

Si

Great idea. When is the book coming out? :-) Far better than the usual 'old
postcard on left, new photo on right' format!

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Whitworth" wrote in message
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
o.uk...

I like to do things like this:
http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/rr149/gytha_ogg/Now%20and%20Then/
and I feel that a few more tools wouldn't hurt. I only just discovered
that I can easily remove a section of a layer to reveal the layer
underneath in Picture it!

Si

Great idea. When is the book coming out? :-) Far better than the usual
'old postcard on left, new photo on right' format!

JW

Not a bad idea, although the audience might be somewhat limited. Having said
that there is an excellent local history bookshop in Ramsgate...

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2010 21:40, Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Recommendations, please, for photo software which is as easy to use as
Picture it! 7, which is what I use now, but with more features and not as
mind-numbing to learn as Photoshop, the manual for which is an excellent
cure for insomnia.

I'd get Picture It! Publishing but it's no longer available, which is a
shame as it looks to have the extra features that 7 is missing.

Si

http://www.gimp.org/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Devany" wrote in message
On 16/08/2010 21:40, Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Recommendations, please, for photo software which is as easy to use as
Picture it! 7, which is what I use now, but with more features and not as
mind-numbing to learn as Photoshop, the manual for which is an excellent
cure for insomnia.

I'd get Picture It! Publishing but it's no longer available, which is a
shame as it looks to have the extra features that 7 is missing.

Si

http://www.gimp.org/

Oh, you sneaked that in at the end there, didn't you? Downloaded and playing
with that right now and I like it a lot so far - very configurable but still
simple enough to learn.

Thanks!

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Devany" wrote:

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Recommendations, please, for photo software which is as easy to use as
Picture it! 7,

http://www.gimp.org/

Oh, you sneaked that in at the end there, didn't you?

Sorry I would have mentioned it except when people ask for "graphics
package EASIER than xyz" there's usually a barrage of complaints if
someone recommends GIMP ... I use it all the time, it's close enough to
the bits of photoshop that I remember ... and finally the next version
is going to allow single window mode!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Devany" wrote:

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Recommendations, please, for photo software which is as easy to use as
Picture it! 7,

http://www.gimp.org/

Oh, you sneaked that in at the end there, didn't you?

Sorry I would have mentioned it except when people ask for "graphics
package EASIER than xyz" there's usually a barrage of complaints if
someone recommends GIMP ... I use it all the time, it's close enough to
the bits of photoshop that I remember ... and finally the next version
is going to allow single window mode!!

ISTR that there's a version of GIMP that's v. like Photoshop in some ways,
so that it's easier to learn than GIMP for those used to PS - GIMPshop or
something?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

ISTR that there's a version of GIMP that's v. like Photoshop in some ways,
so that it's easier to learn than GIMP for those used to PS - GIMPshop or
something?

There is, but it's four years and two major releases behind GIMP proper,
once GIMP 2.8 is released it should be near enough for most users who
want a free photoshop equivalent, dunno if it'll have 16bit colour
support though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-08-20, Andy wrote:

the next version is going to allow single window mode!!

More's the bloody pity.

Allow ... not force (don't even think it'll be on by default). I tried
2.7.1 development version, found the single window mode OK on a large
wide monitor, but anything to do with fonts crashed it on windows, so
back to 2.6.x
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...

"Devany" wrote:

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Recommendations, please, for photo software which is as easy to use as
Picture it! 7,

http://www.gimp.org/

Oh, you sneaked that in at the end there, didn't you?

Sorry I would have mentioned it except when people ask for "graphics
package EASIER than xyz" there's usually a barrage of complaints if
someone recommends GIMP ... I use it all the time, it's close enough to
the bits of photoshop that I remember ... and finally the next version is
going to allow single window mode!!

A fair point. When it started up in three windows I thought "That's
different, therefore I like it", and I do too because it's different AND it
works. There's unusual.

Si

Candle Stands Richi Home Repair 0 January 31st 08 09:13 AM
support stands Bob Daun Woodturning 4 November 7th 07 11:13 PM
Night Stands Don Cross Woodworking 1 December 3rd 06 03:23 PM
Night Stands Don Cross Woodturning 0 December 3rd 06 03:06 PM
Car Stands from wood? jtaylor Metalworking 33 July 11th 05 09:20 PM