Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rad Rad is offline

Default programmable (?) individual TRV to act as 'zone valve' for one room(of 14). Does this exist?

Dear All,
As I write I am putting in a new boiler Remeha Avanta 24V to replace
my old Clyde Combustion. I have 17 rads one of which is going. Most
of the time when SWMBO is out, I work from home in one room so do not
want the whole house heated. It is on the first floor and would be a
PITA to put in a zone system which I won't do. I want to avoid having
to turn on and off a TRV, the present system, and wondered if there
was a (?) programmable thermostatic valve that wirelessly turned on
the system for only that radiator. Maybe it would have to have its own
motor? and some how open the CH zone valve? How it would avoid sending
heat to the other rads set to be open is difficult to imagine but
presumably if the motor is only on that rad it will predominantly
circulate to it bypassing the others mostly? Can't see this myself but
have been told that such a system exists and am relying on collective
wisdom to tell me if this is wrong as I think of if some wizard has
thought up a way to do this.
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rad" wrote

[...]

Can't see it either TBH.
Either a separate zone for that rad from the heating circuit, or teed into
the hot water side instead.
Still need some jiggery pokery to over-ride the cylinder stat though - maybe
a local room stat would do it.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Rad
writes
[...]

There are rad stats that can be programmed and controlled remotely, and
which will switch the system on and off but as you say, it won't be any
good having just one of them, you'd need them on all the rads. Otherwise
the HW will just circulate around all the rest of the rads.

Unless there were zone valves to control the flow to other parts of the
system, which you don't want to do.

Maybe just have the CH off and use electric heating in the room for
those times you use it?
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug, 11:38, Rad wrote:
[...]

Have you had a look at Honeywell Hometronic?

http://www.hwch.co.uk/plumbing.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:

There are rad stats that can be programmed and controlled remotely, and
which will switch the system on and off but as you say, it won't be any
good having just one of them, you'd need them on all the rads. Otherwise
the HW will just circulate around all the rest of the rads.

Honeywell CM-Zone http://www.cm-zone.com/application.php?language=en but
to fit them to 16 radiators could cost about £1,200 (£480 for a starter
pack including controllers and 6 TRV's plus 10 more remote TRV's at £75
each). Possibly a bit less by shopping around.

[snip]

Maybe just have the CH off and use electric heating in the room for
those times you use it?

Yes, it could take several years for the extra running costs of electric
heating in one room to match the £1,200 cost of the CM-Zone system. Taking
an example of a 1 KW heater running on a 50% duty cycle 8 hours per working
day with electricity costing an extra 5.5p per KWh compared to gas that's
only 22p per day or nearly 5,500 day payback period! Also I'm not sure how
much a gas boiler's efficiency would would drop with just a single radiator
to feed.

--
Mike Clarke