DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Edging options for thick wall tiling? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/307643-edging-options-thick-wall-tiling.html)

AL_z August 5th 10 10:03 AM

Edging options for thick wall tiling?

Hi,
I've been tiling parts of my bathroom walls with some fairly thick (8mm)
marble-effect tiles. What are some options for finsihing the edges of the
work? Bullnose edging tilesare not afailable with these tiles. What wlaw
can I do? Can a good-looking edge be made with something out of a tube such
as decorator's filler?

Thanks,

Al

Stuart Noble August 5th 10 12:31 PM

On 05/08/2010 10:03, AL_z wrote:
Hi,
I've been tiling parts of my bathroom walls with some fairly thick (8mm)
marble-effect tiles. What are some options for finsihing the edges of the
work? Bullnose edging tilesare not afailable with these tiles. What wlaw
can I do? Can a good-looking edge be made with something out of a tube such
as decorator's filler?

Thanks,

Al

Various trims available, but they are normally slipped behind the tiles
while the adhesive is still wet. Try a search for "tile trim retro fit".
For that thickness I don't think you can make a neat job with anything
out of a tube

Spamlet August 5th 10 01:06 PM

"AL_z" wrote in message
Hi,
I've been tiling parts of my bathroom walls with some fairly thick (8mm)
marble-effect tiles. What are some options for finsihing the edges of the
work? Bullnose edging tilesare not afailable with these tiles. What wlaw
can I do? Can a good-looking edge be made with something out of a tube
such
as decorator's filler?

Thanks,

Al

If you are using a diamond cutting machine you could possibly cut some
strips from different tiles of a contrasting colour to make a nice border.
You could even put handy glass shelves under them. Without seeing, it is
difficult to imagine what might look good. Use your imagination and just
steer clear of things that might mould or rust.

harry August 5th 10 01:16 PM

On 5 Aug, 10:03, "AL_z" wrote:
Hi,
I've been tiling parts of my bathroom walls with some fairly thick (8mm)
marble-effect tiles. What are some options for finsihing the edges of the
work? Bullnose edging tilesare not afailable with these tiles. What wlaw
can I do? Can a good-looking edge be made with something out of a tube such
as decorator's filler?

Thanks,

Al

You csn buy plastic strip that forms an edge to the tile or for
external corners. Available in a variety of colours and metallic
finishes. Good stuff, looks very neat if a bit fiddly to fit. There
is a perforated strip goes under the tiles to hold it in position.

Phil L August 5th 10 02:39 PM

AL_z wrote:
Hi,
I've been tiling parts of my bathroom walls with some fairly thick
(8mm) marble-effect tiles. What are some options for finsihing the
edges of the work? Bullnose edging tilesare not afailable with these
tiles. What wlaw can I do? Can a good-looking edge be made with
something out of a tube such as decorator's filler?

something like these:

http://snipurl.com/108rna

They're sold everywhere, in a variety of colours and lengths

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

AL_z August 6th 10 04:25 PM

Edging options for thick wall tiling?

harry wrote in news:0395765b-42ac-4c50-8e3a-
:

You csn buy plastic strip that forms an edge to the tile or for
external corners. Available in a variety of colours and metallic
finishes. Good stuff, looks very neat if a bit fiddly to fit. There
is a perforated strip goes under the tiles to hold it in position.

Thanks. Yes, I bought some of that, when I bought the tiles. - but I forgot
to insert it before the adhesive went hard! I'll have to reasort to one of
the other suggestions kindly offered.

Al