Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheap Cardboard shredder

Increasing bureaucracy being what it is, I am having to solve the problem of
dealing with cardboard waste but with very limited storage space. The waste
collection company has stopped taking all the waste and now strictly only takes
what is in the bin.

So, instead of taking calls and generating work for the staff, I am having to
spend time ripping up the waste boxes so they fit into the bin. It just doesn't
seem right in a business to have to spend time doing this.

I have looked for compactors but they all look expensive. So first question is
does anyone know of any cheap compactors or shredders for cardboard. The other
question is what are the thought of the panel on the idea of a DIY shredder -
possibly made from an old electric lawn mower.

ng_786.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"S R" wrote in message
Increasing bureaucracy being what it is, I am having to solve the problem
of dealing with cardboard waste but with very limited storage space. The
waste collection company has stopped taking all the waste and now strictly
only takes what is in the bin.

So, instead of taking calls and generating work for the staff, I am having
to spend time ripping up the waste boxes so they fit into the bin. It just
doesn't seem right in a business to have to spend time doing this.

I have looked for compactors but they all look expensive. So first
question is does anyone know of any cheap compactors or shredders for
cardboard. The other question is what are the thought of the panel on the
idea of a DIY shredder - possibly made from an old electric lawn mower.

ng_786.

Leave it out in the rain, or spray with a garden hose. Unless it is plastic
or wax coated it goes soft when wet and then is easy to squash into the bin.

Goats will eat them too...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message SPH5o.12309$7Z3.4870@hurricane, S R
writes
Increasing bureaucracy being what it is, I am having to solve the
problem of dealing with cardboard waste but with very limited storage
space. The waste collection company has stopped taking all the waste
and now strictly only takes what is in the bin.

So, instead of taking calls and generating work for the staff, I am
having to spend time ripping up the waste boxes so they fit into the
bin. It just doesn't seem right in a business to have to spend time
doing this.

I have looked for compactors but they all look expensive. So first
question is does anyone know of any cheap compactors or shredders for
cardboard. The other question is what are the thought of the panel on
the idea of a DIY shredder - possibly made from an old electric lawn
mower.

Our Local council is making noises in the cardboard collection direction

Phone yours up and ask

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Aug, 23:41, S R wrote:

I have looked for compactors but they all look expensive. So first question is
does anyone know of any cheap compactors or shredders for cardboard.

The trick is to dismantle boxes, rather than shredding them. They're
far weaker along the ready-made fold lines and will easily dismantle
into flat sheets that stack pretty well in a dumpster. When I had to
last deal with this problem in bulk:

* There's a box-cutting knife, one with a shrouded knife blade
although it took a few goes to find one with a big enough jaw to take
a thickness or two of heavy box cardboard. This is kept handy by the
dumpster and isn't used or removed for any other jobs. You can't tear
cardboard boxes as there's always some tape or something in the way.
You can't use a Stanley knife or someone will manage to cut themselves
before long.

* There's a cardboard dumpster. Nothing else goes in it, only
cardboard goes in it, only flat cardboard goes in it. This then
becomes pretty much self-compacting. Any unflattened boxes in there
are taken out, flattened and put back.

* Cardboard is kept dry. Damp cardboard is weak and unpleasant to
handle, so no-one then wants to tidy it up and it gets left.

Everyone needs to be aware of the first two and it becomes a hanging
offence to breach them. You do need that segregated dumpster.

Shredders and compactors need power, which is where the money goes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 3, 11:51 am, geoff wrote:

Our Local council is making noises in the cardboard collection direction

Phone yours up and ask

My Council is happy to deliver several recycling bins if needed.
Into these we can put a mixture of cardboard, paper, tins, glass and
plastic bottles. Clearly they are able to sort out everything
automatically. So the technogy is clearly now available, in first
world countries!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Aug 3, 11:51 am, geoff wrote:

Our Local council is making noises in the cardboard collection direction

Phone yours up and ask

My Council is happy to deliver several recycling bins if needed.
Into these we can put a mixture of cardboard, paper, tins, glass and
plastic bottles. Clearly they are able to sort out everything
automatically. So the technogy is clearly now available, in first
world countries!

Technology costs .... and the price for recycled cardboard prevents most
people investing in the sorting Technology ....... I have a friend who owns
a waste paper company, he only takes the cardboard as a sweetener to get the
paper ...
His resale cost of the cardboard does not even break even on collection
cost.

I did some work with a logistics company, they invested in a machine that
turns waste corrugated cardboard into packing material ... and very
effective it is.
Gets rid of most of the cardboard waste and also saves them on buying
'polystyrene peanuts' for packing.

The product comes out like an expanded mat ... here is a pic of typical
machine:

http://www.elmstok.co.uk/cardshredder.html#pace

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

My Council is happy to deliver several recycling bins if needed.
Into these we can put a mixture of cardboard, paper, tins, glass and
plastic bottles.

Seems to vary around the country here, some have myriad bins for
different types of recycling, others just have one recycling bin.

But fill them to overflowing and they'll refuse to empty the contents
and stick nasty warning stickers on them threatening to fine you if you
repeat the "offence".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 00:51:53 +0100, geoff wrote:

Our Local council is making noises in the cardboard collection direction

Ours (round the corner from yours) has recently taken to allowing a
very (seemingly) mixed range of stuff in the big recycling bin. This
includes (only shredded) paper, cardboard, cooked / uncooked fish,
meats, bones etc, grass, hedge cuttings and fallen leaves, tea coffee
etc. [1]

What do they do with that then, bio fuel / gas?

Paper, tin, glass, plastic bottles go in the other (smaller) bin.

Cheers, T i m

[1] They suggest you place all leftover food in an old cereal box or
on some newspaper before putting in the big bin. We don't eat enough
cereal and have a sign on the door saying 'no free papers' ... ;-(
Having said that we don't waste much food either. ;-)

p.s. My missus remembers reading somewhere that they don't want the
tin lids in with the tins (or plastic bottle tops)? She proved this by
putting a couple in the box and they were left by the collectors? To
save space I was considering cutting the bottom off the tins (as well)
and then flattening them with my size 10 but then that would be the
top /and/ the bottom they wouldn't take? It can't be because it's a
different material and you wouldn't think it's because they have a
sharp edge (some openers leave the tin with a sharper edge) so anyone
know why please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Aug, 14:19, T i m wrote:
[...]

Know somone in the wast...recyclable collection business.

He dosen`t have a yard, his vans go out empty and return empty, as he
says he is not interested in rubbish , everything he collects is
recycled and he gets paid to collect and paid for the materials he
delivers to recyclers.

Offices are his best customers, lot of young staff not keen on land
fill, give them different bins and they even self sort the plastics
for him.

It`s all got a value if you have enough of it sorted;

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/paper/

Guessing food waste ,along with shredded paper which is too short
fibre to recycle, could be for composting.

Dunno about tins of bottle tops though , have wondered myself.

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 07:11:46 -0700 (PDT), Adam Aglionby
wrote:

Offices are his best customers, lot of young staff not keen on land
fill, give them different bins and they even self sort the plastics
for him.

It really ****es me off when you see at these (typically smaller)
communal recycling places the small wheelie bins, 'filled' by one
upturned TV box ... or the 'plastic bottles only' cage littered with
yogurt and other prohibited plastic containers, just because they are
'plastic'. What part of 'plastic bottles only' can be confused with a
polystyrene food tray?

I wonder if with the TV boxes it has done it's stint outside their
house for a few weeks, showing off the fact they have a new TV (that's
probably bigger than their lounge) so now it has to continue that
role, of telling everyone they have one by bunging up the recycling
place. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 00:51:53 +0100, geoff wrote:

Our Local council is making noises in the cardboard collection direction

Ours (round the corner from yours) has recently taken to allowing a
very (seemingly) mixed range of stuff in the big recycling bin. This
includes (only shredded) paper, cardboard, cooked / uncooked fish,
meats, bones etc, grass, hedge cuttings and fallen leaves, tea coffee
etc. [1]

What do they do with that then, bio fuel / gas?

It is composted. We can put in similar, though don't think cardboard.

Paper, tin, glass, plastic bottles go in the other (smaller) bin.

p.s. My missus remembers reading somewhere that they don't want the
tin lids in with the tins (or plastic bottle tops)? She proved this by
putting a couple in the box and they were left by the collectors? To
save space I was considering cutting the bottom off the tins (as well)
and then flattening them with my size 10 but then that would be the
top /and/ the bottom they wouldn't take? It can't be because it's a
different material and you wouldn't think it's because they have a
sharp edge (some openers leave the tin with a sharper edge) so anyone
know why please?

Never heard of the tin lids thing, other than safety reason I can't
think of a reason why. Bottle tops because they presumably it is a
different plastic that isn't recycled yet , or can be of different
types, some of which aren't but makes it difficult to identify?

We can only recycle types 1,2 and 3 here (PET, HDPE and PVC).
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Matty F writes
On Aug 3, 11:51 am, geoff wrote:

Our Local council is making noises in the cardboard collection direction

Phone yours up and ask

My Council is happy to deliver several recycling bins if needed.
Into these we can put a mixture of cardboard, paper, tins, glass and
plastic bottles. Clearly they are able to sort out everything
automatically. So the technogy is clearly now available, in first
world countries!

Depend son the council as to how they do it, ours all goes in one bin
and is then taking to a sorting place, others it's more separate bins.

and this is for commercial collection, which isn't the same as for
domestic waste.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

Don't cut all the way round the top and bottom. Leave a few mm then fold
the two ends inside the tin and flatten with them inside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 18:00:34 +0100, "Spamlet"
wrote:

p.s. My missus remembers reading somewhere that they don't want the
tin lids in with the tins (or plastic bottle tops)? She proved this by
putting a couple in the box and they were left by the collectors? To
save space I was considering cutting the bottom off the tins (as well)
and then flattening them with my size 10 but then that would be the
top /and/ the bottom they wouldn't take? It can't be because it's a
different material and you wouldn't think it's because they have a
sharp edge (some openers leave the tin with a sharper edge) so anyone
know why please?

Don't cut all the way round the top and bottom.

Not quite so easy with an electric opener.

Leave a few mm then fold
the two ends inside the tin and flatten with them inside.

Crafty. ;-)

However, I think it's not something that's going to be /that/
convenient to do, especially with said electric opener (and the Mrs
needs that with her arthritic hands).

Maybe I could jam all the lids / bottoms in one tin and fold the top
over but not sure how any automatic sorting machine would cope with
that?

I guess we would have to really know why they don't want lids
(assuming they don't) in case any solution we come up with doesn't do
them any favours etc?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I would imagine its just health and safety - though they all have to wear
gloves, so it does sound silly. Our council (Luton) has not - as far as
I've noticed - issued any edicts on cans other than the usual 'wash and
squash'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Aug, 14:19, T i m wrote:
[...]

around these parts no-one wants plastic bottle tops and definitely NOT
on the bottles!!

My best guess is they sort them by blowing air into the bottles and?
seeing how far they go? can't think of another automated process that
would require "no lids on plastic bottles" ? anyone?

Here is the crux of all this recycling bizness - product marketeers
will emblazon their products with "recyclable" but as we cyincs know
all too well, it may well be *technically* recyclable but practically
only in India by the subsistence souls that pick over the dump for a
living....

*All* those plastics we use should be recyclable it's just so far the
economics haven't been made to work yet.....

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

around these parts no-one wants plastic bottle tops and definitely NOT
on the bottles!!

Whereas here, they recommend you remove the top, stand on the bottle to
flatten it, then replace to top, so you can fit more bottles into the
recycling bin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 20:29:53 +0100, "Spamlet"
wrote:

I guess we would have to really know why they don't want lids
(assuming they don't) in case any solution we come up with doesn't do
them any favours etc?

I would imagine its just health and safety - though they all have to wear
gloves, so it does sound silly.

Indeed, and with the tin openers that cut the lid off at the can the
lid isn't sharp at all but the can is.

Our council (Luton) has not - as far as
I've noticed - issued any edicts on cans other than the usual 'wash and
squash'.

I think we have the wash but no mention of squash (although we do with
the ally drink cans).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 12:43:32 -0700 (PDT), Jim K
wrote:

around these parts no-one wants plastic bottle tops and definitely NOT
on the bottles!!

Same here but that doesn't seem to have been taken on-board by a
majority round here (as I walk down the road and see the clear
recyclable bottle bags filled with un-flattened bottles with tops on).

My best guess is they sort them by blowing air into the bottles and?
seeing how far they go? can't think of another automated process that
would require "no lids on plastic bottles" ? anyone?

I think it's because (as has been mentioned elsewhere) the top plastic
is 'unwanted', and the bottle can't be so easily compressed (by them
or us) with it on.

Here is the crux of all this recycling bizness - product marketeers
will emblazon their products with "recyclable" but as we cyincs know
all too well, it may well be *technically* recyclable but practically
only in India by the subsistence souls that pick over the dump for a
living....

Yup. Maybe that would be an optional job for our prisoners? Might let
them earn an extra few quid?

*All* those plastics we use should be recyclable it's just so far the
economics haven't been made to work yet.....

I guess it all comes down to cost or energy (cost). Like, I think it's
less 'efficient' (overall) to re-use and deliver glass bottles than it
is to dispose of self-collected plastic ones (that are then turned
into fleeces and other plastic stuff).

Maybe, if they can't re-use plastic milk bottles we could. We could
take our empties back to the supermarkets and re-fill them there. If
we haven't cleaned them out properly that (should be) our problem. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:56:22 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Jim K wrote:

around these parts no-one wants plastic bottle tops and definitely NOT
on the bottles!!

Whereas here, they recommend you remove the top, stand on the bottle to
flatten it, then replace to top, so you can fit more bottles into the
recycling bin.

Good point. I've just looked at one of our freshly crushed milk
bottles and it's probably still 50% of it original volume.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Jim K wrote:

around these parts no-one wants plastic bottle tops and definitely NOT
on the bottles!!

Whereas here, they recommend you remove the top, stand on the bottle to
flatten it, then replace to top, so you can fit more bottles into the
recycling bin.

Good point. I've just looked at one of our freshly crushed milk
bottles and it's probably still 50% of it original volume.

Cheers, T i m

I rinse out the milk bottles at the end of the wash and while still
warm wring them out by twisting the ends. They rapidly cool and stay
very compact without need to replace the cap.

Oddly different suppliers round here use two different plastics for
the caps - one acceptable and the other not. They also manage to
emboss the plactic type in 0.5 point font and I don't have an electron
microscope to hand.

With the push to recycle and with local authorities taking only
certain types, why is it not mandatory to show the symbol on all
plastics and preferably in a size that most people can easily see.
Lidl are quite good (are German rules tighter?) and Tesco are
particulary bad at marking packaging.

If we could get consistent acceptance of plastics across authorities,
then it should be an offence/attract a tax to sell products in plastic
that is not acceptable for recycling. We could also put refundable 5p
on ALL drinks containers, so the kids would not only leave less
litter, but clean up other peoples (or doesn't 5p mean anything these
days?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Aug, 10:56, peteshew wrote:

With the push to recycle and with local authorities taking only
certain types, why is it not mandatory to show the symbol on all
plastics and preferably in a size that most people can easily see.
Lidl are quite good (are German rules tighter?) and Tesco are
particulary bad at marking packaging.
If we could get consistent acceptance of plastics across authorities,
then it should be an offence/attract a tax to sell products in plastic
that is not acceptable for recycling.

machine reading seems key to this - i.e. plastics need barcodes (or
simlar) on them that recycling machinery could scan and determine what
if anything to do with it. needn't be complex theres' only X types of
plastics, Y metals etc used in retail packaging shurely?

We could also put refundable 5p
on ALL drinks containers, so the kids would not only leave less
litter, but clean up other peoples (or doesn't 5p mean anything these
days?)

if you made some "collectable" ****e from 2pence worth of recycled
plastic the youth would be rather more interested - especially if said
plastic ****e "normally" sells for a £1 and is thus "worthy" of their
attention.....or is that me being cynical again...mmmm.... still their
loss;)

cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S R wrote:

Increasing bureaucracy being what it is, I am having to solve the problem of
dealing with cardboard waste but with very limited storage space. The waste
collection company has stopped taking all the waste and now strictly only takes
what is in the bin.

I have looked for compactors but they all look expensive. So first question is
does anyone know of any cheap compactors or shredders for cardboard. The other
question is what are the thought of the panel on the idea of a DIY shredder -
possibly made from an old electric lawn mower.

Perhaps a rather cruder compactor could help, like one of these:

http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/trash-basher-wheelie-compactor-p-7274.html?source=googlebase
http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/product.asp?dept_id=200336&pf_id=DD4677D&co=fr
http://www.hardware-ironmongers.com/details.aspx?code=3920026

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Rick Hughes, Mark Ferguson wrote:
rick_hughes wrote:

"Matty F" wrote in message
Technology costs .... and the price for recycled cardboard prevents most
people investing in the sorting Technology ....... I have a friend who

owns
a waste paper company, he only takes the cardboard as a sweetener to get

the
paper ...
His resale cost of the cardboard does not even break even on collection
cost.
I did some work with a logistics company, they invested in a machine that
turns waste corrugated cardboard into packing material ... and very
effective it is.
Gets rid of most of the cardboard waste and also saves them on buying
'polystyrene peanuts' for packing.
The product comes out like an expanded mat ... here is a pic of typical
machine:
http://www.elmstok.co.uk/cardshredder.html#pace

I raise rabbits and worms so I need shredded cardboard. The commercial
machines to do this are quite expensive. I created my own and it works
quite well. Have a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9JHbRpwbwQ

Converting cardboard to worm casting is a great form of recycling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 March 2015 16:44:05 UTC, Mark Ferguson wrote:

I created my own and it works quite well.
Have a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9JHbRpwbwQ

Clean efficient and labour saving. I bet it is quiet too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

On Tuesday, 3 March 2015 16:44:05 UTC, Mark Ferguson wrote:

I created my own and it works quite well.
Have a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9JHbRpwbwQ

Clean efficient and labour saving. I bet it is quiet too.

;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It really ****es me off when you see at these (typically smaller)
communal recycling places the small wheelie bins, 'filled' by one
upturned TV box ... or the 'plastic bottles only' cage littered with
yogurt and other prohibited plastic containers, just because they are
'plastic'. What part of 'plastic bottles only' can be confused with a
polystyrene food tray?

in Warwickshire they take any rigid plastic, except polystyrene, for recycling. Interestingly, apparently polystyrene is very recyclable but because it is such low density, no councils can meet their EU recycling targets if they take it. Or so I was told.

Warwickshire also recycle road sweepings to get precious metals from catalytic converters. They claim the recycycling cost is lower than the original mining cost.

Jonathan