Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to remove handle on bathroom sink tap?

Hello,

Here's a picture of a bathroom sink tap. I think it's by Pegler.

http://i31.tiny-pic.com/10i9njt.jpg
(Delete the hyphen in tiny-pic above, needed to get past local
anti-spam uribl.com, sorry.)

I'm struggling to find out how to remove the headgear. Pulling the
handle hasn't worked, although I'm wary of using too much force in case
that's the wrong thing. There's no retaining screw visible. It's not
obvious that the end cap pops off where the gold rings start. Can
anyone suggest what to try and the level of force to use?

I want to get to the innards because it's dripping... It's quarter-turn
on a typical domestic combi-boiler installation, the output is divided;
hot water comes out the left half of the spout, cold the right half.

The hot side of the tap has started to drip. The frequency has slowly
increased, I'd say it's now faster than a drip a second, although it
varies a little through the day. Sometimes the tap will start a
high-pitched whistling. That can continue for about a minute and will
then be replaced by a fast noisy vibration in the tap and pipework as if
it's some kind of water hammer. It can be quelled by twisting and
holding the handle in the off direction, even though it's already fully
off, but if you let go the whistling/hammering noise returns instantly.

So instead I have to heat up the body of the tap where the handle joins
it by turning the tap on for a bit, the handle then becomes stiffer to
turn, presumably due to expansion somewhere, and when returned to off
the noises will have stopped and the dripping will have slowed. The
dripping soon returns to normal as the tap cools. Obviously, a dripping
hot tap and a combi boiler is a bad combination, the boiler is firing up
every twenty minutes.

This is my first faulty ceramic disc tap. Is this typical of a failing
cartridge? Can I temporarily swap the hot and cold cartridges to check
the fault also moves, even though that means the taps will need to be
turned the other way to normal?

Thanks, Jack.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 July, 13:40, J. Tailor wrote:
[...]

expect the handles will come off by pulling in line - axially

We have similar tho seperate upright bathroom taps with no grub screws
or other visible means and that's how ours come off - i.e. for us
straight up with a fair bit of wiggling! For you straight out but
sideways IYSWIM.

ISTR there can be a lot of agro getting the proper cermaic cartridge
to replace the faulty one as there are loads of subtly different sizes/
specs/fitments etc. Usual advise is go to (posss several) plumbers
merchants armed with what you take off and ensure you buy the correct
"hand" replacement (else as you note the tap will work fine but
"backwards" when fixed).

There's a UK shop website with pics etc with loads of different
cartridges for sale - if you can be certain what you want.....

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

expect the handles will come off by pulling in line - axially

Just to add my 2p, I'd be expecting the silver caps to unscrew at the
gold section. (The top is then held to the cartridge by a grubscrew.)

Usual advise is go to (posss several) plumbers
merchants armed with what you take off and ensure you buy the correct
"hand" replacement (else as you note the tap will work fine but
"backwards" when fixed)

A left hand cartridge can easily be converted into a right hand
cartridge by realigning the discs inside. Did this myself recently.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 July, 16:49, Scott M wrote:

A left hand cartridge can easily be converted into a right hand
cartridge by realigning the discs inside. Did this myself recently.

sounds interesting - can you describe plse?

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
expect the handles will come off by pulling in line - axially

Right, I've tried that a bit but will give it a bit more wiggle welly.
Thanks.

ISTR there can be a lot of agro getting the proper cermaic cartridge
to replace the faulty one as there are loads of subtly different
sizes/ specs/fitments etc. Usual advise is go to (posss several)
plumbers merchants armed with what you take off and ensure you buy the
correct "hand" replacement (else as you note the tap will work fine
but "backwards" when fixed).

Will do. That also suggests I can swap existing hot and cold and make
sure the drip swaps too.

Jack.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:
Just to add my 2p, I'd be expecting the silver caps to unscrew at the
gold section. (The top is then held to the cartridge by a grubscrew.)

This had occurred to me, but nothing happened when I gave it a quick
try. Do you think the join is such so the cap is the silver bit, or
does the cap have any of the gold rings too?

I can see what looks like a join where silver meets gold, and can get
the blade of a knife to sit in the groove, but working it round doesn't
widen the groove, just removes some limescale, so perhaps you're right
and it unscrews rather than pops off. I'll purloin some Marigolds and
see if the extra grip helps.

Thanks, Jack.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wrote:
This had occurred to me, but nothing happened when I gave it a quick
try. Do you think the join is such so the cap is the silver bit, or
does the cap have any of the gold rings too?

No matter. The Marigolds and the extra welly paid off. Yes, I am still
on topic. The whole handle pulled off with quite a bit of wiggle, as
Jim K suggested. It has Pegler imprinted on the inside of the handle
which confirms what I suspected.

Thanks to both of you for the help. Onwards now to the next stumbling
block. :-) No doubt I will return.

Thanks, Jack.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

sounds interesting - can you describe plse?

Ooh, now you're asking me something. It was one of those "know it's
possible, do it, forget it" things! IIRC, the ceramic disc that rotates
can be realigned by 90 degrees. This then makes, of the pattern of holes
in the discs, what was open, closed and vice-versa. It becomes fairly
obvious when you've got it in bits.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

J. Tailor wrote:

The whole handle pulled off with quite a bit of wiggle, as
Jim K suggested.

Y'know I wouldn't have thought anyone would have relied on that
considering the relative number of instances where the splines wear out.

While I think of it; according to something I read in my Collins DIY
book t'other day but have never seem mentioned here, the blue rubbery
seal in the end of the cartridge can cause the tap to drip if it's
damaged or worn. I have no idea if these are any easier to obtain than
whole cartridges[1] but would be interesting to try as all of the leaky
ceramic cartridges I've looked at have never shown wear or damage to the
discs.

[1] I foolishly tried Plumbase for one once - the confused reaction on
producing it was as if I'd asked for a sandwich or a prostitute.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

J. Tailor wrote:
I wrote:
This had occurred to me, but nothing happened when I gave it a quick
try. Do you think the join is such so the cap is the silver bit, or
does the cap have any of the gold rings too?

No matter. The Marigolds and the extra welly paid off. Yes, I am
still on topic. The whole handle pulled off with quite a bit of
wiggle, as Jim K suggested. It has Pegler imprinted on the inside of
the handle which confirms what I suspected.

Thanks to both of you for the help. Onwards now to the next stumbling
block. :-) No doubt I will return.

I wos going to say they unscrew cos I've come across them before!

The cartridge may be in a recess so you might nee a box spanner or socket.
When you go to your 'real' plumbers merchant take the cartridge, top/handle
and the securing screw - they vary.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 July, 18:26, Scott M wrote:
J. Tailor wrote:
The whole handle pulled off with quite a bit of wiggle, as
Jim K suggested.

Y'know I wouldn't have thought anyone would have relied on that
considering the relative number of instances where the splines wear out.

just goes to show ;)

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott M" wrote in message
Jim K wrote:

sounds interesting - can you describe plse?

Ooh, now you're asking me something. It was one of those "know it's
possible, do it, forget it" things! IIRC, the ceramic disc that rotates
can be realigned by 90 degrees. This then makes, of the pattern of holes
in the discs, what was open, closed and vice-versa. It becomes fairly
obvious when you've got it in bits.

--
Scott

Try this:

http://www.lunns.net/tapspares/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 July, 21:44, "John" wrote:
"Scott M" wrote in message

Jim K wrote:

sounds interesting - can you describe plse?

Ooh, now you're asking me something. It was one of those "know it's
possible, do it, forget it" things! IIRC, the ceramic disc that rotates
can be realigned by 90 degrees. This then makes, of the pattern of holes
in the discs, what was open, closed and vice-versa. It becomes fairly
obvious when you've got it in bits.

--
Scott

Try this:

http://www.lunns.net/tapspares/

that's the one cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

Y'know I wouldn't have thought anyone would have relied on that
considering the relative number of instances where the splines wear out.

just goes to show ;)

Far too often in life I end up thinking "They'd never be so daft as to
do *this* *that* way." And, of course, they are!

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 July, 10:29, Scott M wrote:
Jim K wrote:
Y'know I wouldn't have thought anyone would have relied on that
considering the relative number of instances where the splines wear out.

just goes to show ;)

Far too often in life I end up thinking "They'd never be so daft as to
do *this* *that* way." And, of course, they are!

KISS applies sometimes!

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

KISS applies sometimes!

I think they actually apply MIOS - Make It Overly Simple! :-)

--
Scott