DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How do you use crutches? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/306659-how-do-you-use-crutches.html)

Tony Bryer July 20th 10 05:21 PM

How do you use crutches?

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:15:37 +0100 Grimly Curmudgeon wrote :
It's absolutely mental. I distinctly recall my first big bike
accident and the crutches that came with it. I was encouraged to
hand them back, as they would be checked and re-issued. That was
back in the days when such things were normal.

My sympathies to Adam. I had my first taste of Australian health
care a year ago when I came off my bike and fractured my pelvis,
not seriously fortunately (no op necessary) but was on crutches for
six weeks. Fortunately I live in a high-rise with shops at ground
floor level, no steps, and a big walk-in shower where I was able to
put a plastic chair. And I found out that I had some great friends
after just nine months of being in Melbourne.

When you find yourself in this position it does give you a
completely new understanding of disabled access issues. There were
shops I walked by as soon as I looked at the steps. After a week or
two I could use our new low-floor trams, but not the older ones
with high steps. Fortunately I live in the city centre with taxi
rank across the road - they did quite well out of me for those six
weeks.

As for crutches here, no issues with returns. You get billed by the
hospital, $40 about UKP23.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.eurobeam.co.uk www.greentram.com

ARWadsworth July 20th 10 05:23 PM

How do you use crutches?

"Clot" wrote in message
Clot wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message _Q31o.3$ja2.0@hurricane, Clot
writes
geoff wrote:
In message ,
Andy Burns writes
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the
stairs?

Didn't the hospital give you lessons?

I have not been to hospital.

So who gave you the crutches then?

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Simple-Crutches

Doesn't that require a certain amount of mobility in order to
create them?

I have my crutches up in the loft - from a skiing accident 25 years
ago

How are you going to get them when you next need them? ;)

I'll ask Adam how to climb stairs when you're a crip - he'll be an
expert by then

that caused me some mirth :)

Hmm? Sorry about the echo.

And also apologies to you Adam at having a laugh at your expense!

None taken. I got a little light exercice today (the walking sort not the
horizontal sort).

I walked from the hospital carpark to the oral surgery unit and then from
the oral surgery unit to the x-ray department and back to the oral surgery
department before walking back to the car park. All done with just one
crutch so I did put some weight on the damaged foot.

I am actually going back to work tommorrow.

Cheers

Adam

clot July 20th 10 08:00 PM

How do you use crutches?

ARWadsworth wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

that caused me some mirth :)

Hmm? Sorry about the echo.

And also apologies to you Adam at having a laugh at your expense!

None taken. I got a little light exercice today (the walking sort not
the horizontal sort).

I walked from the hospital carpark to the oral surgery unit and then
from the oral surgery unit to the x-ray department and back to the
oral surgery department before walking back to the car park. All done
with just one crutch so I did put some weight on the damaged foot.

I am actually going back to work tommorrow.

Good to hear, but try to be careful!

geoff July 20th 10 08:15 PM

How do you use crutches?

In message vnm1o.235772$sD7.8299@hurricane, Clot
writes

ARWadsworth wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

that caused me some mirth :)

Hmm? Sorry about the echo.

And also apologies to you Adam at having a laugh at your expense!

None taken. I got a little light exercice today (the walking sort not
the horizontal sort).

I walked from the hospital carpark to the oral surgery unit and then
from the oral surgery unit to the x-ray department and back to the
oral surgery department before walking back to the car park. All done
with just one crutch so I did put some weight on the damaged foot.

I am actually going back to work tommorrow.

Good to hear, but try to be careful!

When I was a contractor in Germany, one of the other expats had a skiing
accident. He tried to go back to work too soon, which ended up with the
doctors having to break his leg again as it hadn't knitted properly

--
geoff

ARWadsworth July 20th 10 08:28 PM

How do you use crutches?

ARWadsworth wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

that caused me some mirth :)

Hmm? Sorry about the echo.

And also apologies to you Adam at having a laugh at your expense!

None taken. I got a little light exercice today (the walking sort not
the horizontal sort).

I walked from the hospital carpark to the oral surgery unit and then
from the oral surgery unit to the x-ray department and back to the
oral surgery department before walking back to the car park. All done
with just one crutch so I did put some weight on the damaged foot.

I am actually going back to work tommorrow.

Good to hear, but try to be careful!

When I was a contractor in Germany, one of the other expats had a skiing
accident. He tried to go back to work too soon, which ended up with the
doctors having to break his leg again as it hadn't knitted properly

Are you sure that he had filled his sick form in correctly?

Adam

geoff July 20th 10 08:36 PM

How do you use crutches?

In message , Tony Bryer
writes
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:15:37 +0100 Grimly Curmudgeon wrote :
It's absolutely mental. I distinctly recall my first big bike
accident and the crutches that came with it. I was encouraged to
hand them back, as they would be checked and re-issued. That was
back in the days when such things were normal.

My sympathies to Adam. I had my first taste of Australian health
care a year ago when I came off my bike and fractured my pelvis,
not seriously fortunately (no op necessary) but was on crutches for
six weeks. Fortunately I live in a high-rise with shops at ground
floor level, no steps, and a big walk-in shower where I was able to
put a plastic chair. And I found out that I had some great friends
after just nine months of being in Melbourne.

Tying this thread in with the one about the privvy ...

better watch yer bum down under

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-10693553

--
geoff

geoff July 20th 10 08:56 PM

How do you use crutches?

In message ANm1o.235867$sD7.152199@hurricane, ARWadsworth
writes

ARWadsworth wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

that caused me some mirth :)

Hmm? Sorry about the echo.

And also apologies to you Adam at having a laugh at your expense!

None taken. I got a little light exercice today (the walking sort not
the horizontal sort).

I walked from the hospital carpark to the oral surgery unit and then
from the oral surgery unit to the x-ray department and back to the
oral surgery department before walking back to the car park. All done
with just one crutch so I did put some weight on the damaged foot.

I am actually going back to work tommorrow.

Good to hear, but try to be careful!

When I was a contractor in Germany, one of the other expats had a skiing
accident. He tried to go back to work too soon, which ended up with the
doctors having to break his leg again as it hadn't knitted properly

Are you sure that he had filled his sick form in correctly?

Sick form ?

contractors are paid by the hour

no show, no dough

--
geoff

Andy Champ[_2_] July 20th 10 08:59 PM

How do you use crutches?

geoff wrote:
Tying this thread in with the one about the privvy ...

better watch yer bum down under

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-10693553

That's not why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR0qyslUeD8