DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/305521-ot-cheeky-bastard-pt2.html)

Adrian July 8th 10 12:48 PM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

Tim Streater gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

Despite the fact that closing speeds are VERY unlikely to be higher
than 10mph or so when it's busy - precisely BECAUSE it's busy...?

There was a case of a woman and children burnt to death because the
lorry driver didn't stop. Just because he's only got a closing speed of
10mph or so didn't stop him crushing her car into the lorry in front.

Assuming you're thinking of http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7878605.stm
then considerably higher speed than that.

Yes, indeed. But what's the relevance to the situation we were discussing?

Momentum.

Inattention and ****wittery.

A lorry is a lot bigger than I am so I really don't like
sitting next to one (or a coach, come to that) at 70mph.

All the more reason to get past it as quickly as possible, no?
Accelerate, pull out, accelerate past, pull in and decelerate.

Again, though, that just reinforces the suggestion that the wagon is a
lower risk than the car you may have missed seeing coming from behind
fast. He's just going to bimble along merrily nose-to-tail with the one
in front. If he's going to pull out, then you can see that - because
you can see him closing on the one in front. Wagon drivers tend not to
do unpredictable things.

Mostly not. But I give the foreign-plated ones the biggest berth anyway.

Make sure you spend as little time in his blind-spot as possible.

Adrian July 8th 10 12:49 PM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

The Natural Philosopher gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

I think we should ensure that cyclists are not allowed to speed
anywhere!

They aren't, they are subject to the same speed limits as cars.

Almost all speed limits only legally apply to motor vehicles. (In
practice of course almost all cyclists keep below the limits anyway.)

I think you are actually wrong. Speed limits apply to everything.

No, they don't. They are explicitly only applicable (with some
exceptions) to motor vehicles.

Tim Downie[_3_] July 8th 10 12:51 PM

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
"Clot" wrote in message

I think we should ensure that cyclists are not allowed to speed
anywhere!

They aren't, they are subject to the same speed limits as cars.

As there is no legal requirement for bicycles to have speedometers
cyclists cannot be charged with speeding.

They can.
And they have been

Um, "Furious riding" perhaps but unless you can quote a specific example I
think you'll find that the specific charge isn't for "speeding".

See
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...promenade.html

Tim

Alan Braggins July 8th 10 12:53 PM

No. See http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content...tDocId=2223981

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] July 8th 10 12:54 PM

Alan Braggins wrote:
In article , Tim Streater wrote:
"Tim Downie" wrote:
I think we should ensure that cyclists are not allowed to speed
anywhere!
They aren't, they are subject to the same speed limits as cars.
As there is no legal requirement for bicycles to have speedometers cyclists
cannot be charged with speeding.

Wrong. There was a loony cyclist in Cambridge who got done. And quite
right too - it's about expectations.

He was done for "riding furiously", not for exceeding the speed limit,
because not only does the speed limit not apply to cyclists, he wasn't
exceeding it: http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newslette...article14.html

This one caught my eye.

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/To...ing.3681474.jp

91mph for a cyclist? shirly shome mishtake :-)

This is more sobering..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-20636756/

dennis@home July 8th 10 01:10 PM

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:
"Clot" wrote in message

I think we should ensure that cyclists are not allowed to speed
anywhere!

They aren't, they are subject to the same speed limits as cars.

As there is no legal requirement for bicycles to have speedometers
cyclists cannot be charged with speeding.

There are cars with no legal requirement for a speedo but they can still be
done.
You can drive a car (under limited circumstances) with a broken speedo, you
can still be done.
What makes you think a cycle is different?

dennis@home July 8th 10 01:11 PM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

"cynic" wrote in message

I had a plod point a radar gun at me whilst on horseback but when I
asked what speed I was doing he said I wouldn't register on radar and
nor would the horse unless we carried something reflective to a radar
signal. Shame really as my horses (Icelandics) can cover ground at a
high rate of knots and the speed would have been interesting

Ask him to use a laser gun then.

Alan Braggins July 8th 10 01:15 PM

Yes, the 200m record is only 82.33mph: http://www.ihpva.org/hpvarec3.htm#nom01

This is more sobering..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-20636756/

Where by "speeding" they mean doing "about 17mph", so however bad his behaviour
was, it wasn't actually relevent to speed limits.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...ts/7496757.stm

Invisible Man[_2_] July 8th 10 02:38 PM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

On 08/07/2010 10:45, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"Tim Downie" wrote:

dennis@home wrote:
"Clot" wrote in message

I think we should ensure that cyclists are not allowed to speed
anywhere!

They aren't, they are subject to the same speed limits as cars.

As there is no legal requirement for bicycles to have speedometers
cyclists cannot be charged with speeding.

Wrong. There was a loony cyclist in Cambridge who got done. And quite
right too - it's about expectations.

If I'm stooging along the motorway at 65, look in the mirror, and decide
to overtake as the klod behind is a long way off, my expectation is that
he will still be a long way behind after I've moved to the fast lane. I
don't expect to find him up my exhaust because the **** was doing 110.

Equally an old granny crossing the road is not going to expect to be
knocked over by the 35mph cyclist as she steps into the road.

I always wait until I have an idea of the speed of a vehicle coming up
behind before pulling into one of the OVERTAKING lanes. Plod might be
approaching at well over 100 in an unmarked car. On a dual carriageway
you are well aware of what is coming up behind and will have noticed how
fast a vehicle is catching up.

I am a grandad and I watch for cycles gong the wrong way down one way
streets let alone gong too fast.

Nowadays the old grandma is probably more likely to be hit by a cycle
(or a mobility scooter) when she steps ON to the pavement!

Googling Furious cycling offence brings up some interesting legal links.

Tim Downie[_3_] July 8th 10 03:08 PM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Alan Braggins wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
"Tim Downie" wrote:
I think we should ensure that cyclists are not allowed to speed
anywhere!
They aren't, they are subject to the same speed limits as cars.
As there is no legal requirement for bicycles to have speedometers
cyclists cannot be charged with speeding.
Wrong. There was a loony cyclist in Cambridge who got done. And
quite right too - it's about expectations.

He was done for "riding furiously", not for exceeding the speed
limit, because not only does the speed limit not apply to cyclists, he
wasn't exceeding it:
http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newslette...article14.html

This one caught my eye.

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/To...ing.3681474.jp

91mph for a cyclist? shirly shome mishtake :-)

Read again, "in a car".

This is more sobering..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-20636756/

Not charged with speeding but for "cycling dangerously".

Tim

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] July 8th 10 03:37 PM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

Wader of Doom wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

[...]

Where by "speeding" they mean doing "about 17mph", so however bad his
behaviour
was, it wasn't actually relevent to speed limits.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...ts/7496757.stm

You're not a lawyer, by any chance, are you? Angels, meet Mr Pinhead.

Furrfu, are these argumentative cyclists in *every* newsgroup?

Every Cambridge and every uk transport one definitely.

Some of them have strayed into Uk.d-i-y

I really do wish they'd save it for urc or urcm. They're even infesting
unnc and unn.mod now.

Its the cycling that does it. Very bad for people with anger management
problems. Makes em worse. Its also penis envy. That's why the saddles
are the shape they are of course.

dave July 8th 10 06:07 PM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

On 08/07/2010 01:24, Clot wrote:

Please find your humour gene.

I recall that once you were helpful to me regarding glasses but most times
you knock folk and have shown that you are completely virtuous! Killing
cats!

ARW found a highly suitable way to try to resolve a situation. I'm sure that
even the police would have found the approach amusing.

Were you perchance a civil servant that had "out of the box" attitudes
drummed out of you? It sounds like it.

I think we should ensure that cyclists are not allowed to speed anywhere!

Was that last sentence written as bait?

Cyclists can't be prosecuted for speeding.

Dave

dave July 8th 10 07:23 PM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

On 08/07/2010 12:22, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Adrian wrote:

Tim Streater gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

If I'm stooging along the motorway at 65, look in the mirror,
and decide to overtake as the klod behind is a long way

off, my
expectation is that he will still be a long way behind after
I've moved to the fast lane. I don't expect to find him up my
exhaust because the **** was doing 110.

If you're "looking", but not for long enough to gauge their rate
of approach, then you're not looking properly.

Isn't a drivers priority to expect other drivers to obey the rules?
Looking back for long enough to determine the speed of cars behind
approaching you is a lengthy job and there may well have been a big
change in front of you. Rememeber, if you tail end a car, you are
automaticaly responsible. Just as the speeding car would be if he tail
ended you.

There is that, but if their rate of approach is low you may have
to look for too long.

Umm, you'd be able to tell their rate of approach was slow enough
not to be an issue, wouldn't you...?

Normally yes, but if the clown is going really fast then he may not
be that visible when you look.

If your eyesight is so poor that you are unable to see somebody

closing
at a difference of 45mph (20 metres per second), then I wonder how you
cope with pulling out of a side junction onto an NSL road?

That is a totally different scenario. You are stopped and observing the
cars that are approaching you.

Sigh.

Maths snipped

If he's "not in sight", then he's not going to be right up on your
arse THAT quickly, is he?

He could have entered the motorway at that junction you just passed and
only at the last minute got into the outside lane at 110 MPH

Dave

Adrian July 8th 10 07:31 PM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

dave gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Isn't a drivers priority to expect other drivers to obey the rules?

Your driving instructor clearly failed to pass on one of the more
important pieces of advice that mine (ex-Class 1 Police instructor) made
sure I took in.

Every other person on the road IS an incompetent lunatic and they ARE
trying to kill you.

Looking back for long enough to determine the speed of cars behind
approaching you is a lengthy job

Balls.

Look in mirror, look forward again, look in mirror again - how much has
their position changed?
If your eyesight is so poor that you are unable to see somebody
closing at a difference of 45mph (20 metres per second), then I
wonder how you cope with pulling out of a side junction onto an
NSL road?

That is a totally different scenario. You are stopped and observing the
cars that are approaching you.

Fine. shrug
You're doing 25mph. A car coming towards you is doing 25mph. Closing
speed 50mph. Faster than Tim's scenario.

If he's "not in sight", then he's not going to be right up on your
arse THAT quickly, is he?

He could have entered the motorway at that junction you just passed and
only at the last minute got into the outside lane at 110 MPH

He could have just parachuted straight into L3 from that passing
transport plane, too.

Jim K[_2_] July 8th 10 07:44 PM

On 8 July, 19:31, Adrian wrote:
[...]

with a tail wind he'd be doing more than 110 then.....;)

Jim K

geoff July 8th 10 08:01 PM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Tell him it was all Dennis' idea - I am sure there are plenty here
who will back you up!

You do remember that this group is archived?

FFS Dennis

Are you really so humourless and stupid

There is no humour in these posts, the fact that you think there is
just shows that you are warped.

As usual, your lack of comprehension lets you down

I am referring to your lack of humour and stupidity

In my years in uk.d-i-y I have never come across anyone so determined to
prove what an idiot they are as you seem to be obsessed with doing

I suppose that you never made anything of your life might part of the
problem, and no longer being employed has put time on your hands, but
that's no reason to inflict your deficiencies on others here

--
geoff

dennis@home July 8th 10 08:08 PM

"Adrian" wrote in message
dave gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Isn't a drivers priority to expect other drivers to obey the rules?

Your driving instructor clearly failed to pass on one of the more
important pieces of advice that mine (ex-Class 1 Police instructor) made
sure I took in.

That's odd, mine was too and he said the same.

Every other person on the road IS an incompetent lunatic and they ARE
trying to kill you.

Of course once you start driving you soon realise he was telling the truth.

geoff July 8th 10 08:13 PM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"Tim Downie" wrote:

dennis@home wrote:
"Clot" wrote in message

I think we should ensure that cyclists are not allowed to speed
anywhere!

They aren't, they are subject to the same speed limits as cars.

As there is no legal requirement for bicycles to have speedometers
cyclists cannot be charged with speeding.

Wrong. There was a loony cyclist in Cambridge who got done. And
quite right too - it's about expectations.
If I'm stooging along the motorway at 65, look in the mirror, and
decide to overtake as the klod behind is a long way off, my
expectation is that he will still be a long way behind after I've
moved to the fast lane. I don't expect to find him up my exhaust
because the **** was doing 110.

Then you had better watch out in Germany.

Where you're stuck behind some doddery **** doing maybe 120 on the
autobahn , you're totally blocked in by traffic in the middle lane - you
still get some fat arschloch in a big merc riding up your rear bumper
flashing you to get out of the way

I found that a good solid tow bar and good hand brake work wonders in
this situation

--
geoff

dennis@home July 8th 10 08:16 PM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Tell him it was all Dennis' idea - I am sure there are plenty here who
will back you up!

You do remember that this group is archived?

FFS Dennis

Are you really so humourless and stupid

There is no humour in these posts, the fact that you think there is just
shows that you are warped.

As usual, your lack of comprehension lets you down

I am referring to your lack of humour and stupidity

In my years in uk.d-i-y I have never come across anyone so determined to
prove what an idiot they are as you seem to be obsessed with doing

I suppose that you never made anything of your life might part of the
problem, and no longer being employed has put time on your hands, but
that's no reason to inflict your deficiencies on others here

Still making stuff up I see.
Is lying a habit to you?

geoff July 8th 10 08:19 PM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article ,
Adrian wrote:

Tim Streater gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

If I'm stooging along the motorway at 65, look in the mirror,

decide to overtake as the klod behind is a long way off, my
expectation is that he will still be a long way behind after I've
moved to the fast lane. I don't expect to find him up my exhaust
because the **** was doing 110.

If you're "looking", but not for long enough to gauge their rate

approach, then you're not looking properly.

There is that, but if their rate of approach is low you may have to
look
for too long.

Umm, you'd be able to tell their rate of approach was slow enough
not to be an issue, wouldn't you...?

Normally yes, but if the clown is going really fast then he may not be
that visible when you look. And then I'd rather focus on the lorry I'm
overtaking, thanks.

What's this "rather" ?

You really should have a feeling for all your surroundings. I don't
think - oh there's a lorry, I'd better concentrate on that, it's "lorry
ahead, car closing from behind, taxi coming the other way, crossroad
approaching.

And it should all be subconscious

--
geoff

geoff July 8th 10 08:32 PM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

In message , Alan Braggins
writes
In article , The Natural Philosopher wrote:
This one caught my eye.
http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/To...ing.3681474.jp

91mph for a cyclist? shirly shome mishtake :-)

Yes, the 200m record is only 82.33mph: http://www.ihpva.org/hpvarec3.htm#nom01

This is more sobering..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...-as-speeding-c
yclist-jason-howard-is-fined-2-200-for-killing-teenager-115875-20636756/

Where by "speeding" they mean doing "about 17mph", so however bad his behaviour
was, it wasn't actually relevent to speed limits.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...ts/7496757.stm

Does somebody want to do the maths on this article ?

--
geoff

ARWadsworth July 8th 10 08:35 PM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Clot" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Tell him it was all Dennis' idea - I am sure there are plenty here
who will back you up!

You do remember that this group is archived?

FFS Dennis

Are you really so humourless and stupid

There is no humour in these posts, the fact that you think there is
just shows that you are warped.

Please find your humour gene.

I recall that once you were helpful to me regarding glasses but most
times you knock folk and have shown that you are completely virtuous!
Killing cats!

I don't kill cats, I grow flowers.
You may notice that the web site I posted is a cat lovers site and gave
details of the symptoms and advised on what to do if the cat has them.
What others choose to do with that information is up to them.

ARW found a highly suitable way to try to resolve a situation. I'm sure
that even the police would have found the approach amusing.

If you are so sure go and tell them so they can enjoy the joke.
Tell the victim too so he can have a good laugh.
Its only a joke because it isn't being done to you.
Harassing neighbours will never be a joke.
People that think its a joke need treatment.

ARW doesn't have the balls to go talk to him all he thinks about is how
can I get even.
Even in his warped judgement I add.

Were you perchance a civil servant that had "out of the box" attitudes
drummed out of you? It sounds like it.

Wrong again, I just don't like bullies like ARW.
Yes, sneaking about harassing people anonymously is bullying.
Its not being funny even if the neighbour actually did what ARW said.
I wouldn't trust what he said in the first place, there are always two
sides to a story and you are a clot for thinking there isn't.

It was funny. And the two neighbours that were in on it also thought so.

I would have prefered it if had he not parked infront of a driveway blocking
me in and that he had not called me a ****.

Adam

Jim K[_2_] July 8th 10 08:40 PM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

"Clot" wrote in message
> [...]
dennis@home wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message

[...]

move on Adam, let the spiders and the dustmites deal with this - your
work here is done ;)))

Cheers
Jim K

Adrian July 8th 10 09:42 PM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

"dennis@home" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Isn't a drivers priority to expect other drivers to obey the rules?

Your driving instructor clearly failed to pass on one of the more
important pieces of advice that mine (ex-Class 1 Police instructor)
made sure I took in.

That's odd, mine was too and he said the same.

Wasn't Bob H, in Bakewell, was it?

Every other person on the road IS an incompetent lunatic and they ARE
trying to kill you.

Of course once you start driving you soon realise he was telling the
truth.

Breaking you in gently, if anything.

geoff July 8th 10 09:50 PM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Tell him it was all Dennis' idea - I am sure there are plenty
here who will back you up!

You do remember that this group is archived?

FFS Dennis

Are you really so humourless and stupid

There is no humour in these posts, the fact that you think there is
just shows that you are warped.

As usual, your lack of comprehension lets you down

I am referring to your lack of humour and stupidity

In my years in uk.d-i-y I have never come across anyone so determined
to prove what an idiot they are as you seem to be obsessed with doing

I suppose that you never made anything of your life might part of the
problem, and no longer being employed has put time on your hands, but
that's no reason to inflict your deficiencies on others here

Still making stuff up I see.
Is lying a habit to you?

Making what up ?

--
geoff

dennis@home July 8th 10 11:29 PM

"Adrian" wrote in message
"dennis@home" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Isn't a drivers priority to expect other drivers to obey the rules?

Your driving instructor clearly failed to pass on one of the more
important pieces of advice that mine (ex-Class 1 Police instructor)
made sure I took in.

That's odd, mine was too and he said the same.

Wasn't Bob H, in Bakewell, was it?

Not that I recall, it was a long time ago.

Every other person on the road IS an incompetent lunatic and they ARE
trying to kill you.

Of course once you start driving you soon realise he was telling the
truth.

Breaking you in gently, if anything.

He also said that passing your test doesn't mean you can drive, just that
you can go and learn by yourself.
Its a shame so many don't learn anything later.
I think compulsory re-tests every 5 years would be a good idea to sort out
the drivers that don't improve.

geoff July 8th 10 11:56 PM

"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

And how are you going to achieve that braniac ?

they can't even cope with the first timers and if you hadn't noticed,
money is short in the public sector, cutbacks and redundancies are being
made across the public sector

**** me you're a retard

Mind you, if it got you off the road it would be worth it

--
geoff

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] July 9th 10 12:02 AM

dave wrote:

Isn't a drivers priority to expect other drivers to obey the rules?

No a dr8ivers priority is to exept the unexpected and assume that th
eclot who is indicatng to pull into teh side raod you are waiting to
leave is

- actually turning into te drive just past it
- is a dozy **** who has had his indicator on for the last 20 miles
- is on a scam trying to get you to have an accident with him.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] July 9th 10 12:03 AM

geoff wrote:
In message , "dennis@home"

There is no humour in these posts, the fact that you think there is
just shows that you are warped.

In my years in uk.d-i-y I have never come across anyone so determined to
prove what an idiot they are as you seem to be obsessed with doing

Good grief! most groups have at least one resident idiot. This group has
two.

Grimly Curmudgeon July 9th 10 12:05 AM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian
saying something like:

Your driving instructor clearly failed to pass on one of the more
important pieces of advice that mine (ex-Class 1 Police instructor) made
sure I took in.

Beware of smug old gits sticking rigidly to the limits?

Grimly Curmudgeon July 9th 10 12:08 AM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

drugs began to take hold. I remember (Alan
Braggins) saying something like:

Wrong. There was a loony cyclist in Cambridge who got done. And quite
right too - it's about expectations.

He was done for "riding furiously", not for exceeding the speed limit,
because not only does the speed limit not apply to cyclists, he wasn't
exceeding it:
http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newslette...article14.html

Blimey, that was a right waste of public money and resources. I
sincerely hope he stuck to his principles and didn't cough up. Best of
luck to him.

Grimly Curmudgeon July 9th 10 12:12 AM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

This is more sobering..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-20636756/

"Judge Terence English, in Aylesbury, Bucks, blasted Howard's "devil may
care" riding but said there was no death by dangerous cycling."

What? The arsehole was on the pavement, which is, in and of itself
inherently hazardous to pedestrians, and is a deliberate act, not just a
chance thing.

geoff July 9th 10 12:16 AM

geoff wrote:
In message , "dennis@home"

There is no humour in these posts, the fact that you think there is
just shows that you are warped.

In my years in uk.d-i-y I have never come across anyone so
determined to prove what an idiot they are as you seem to be obsessed
with doing

Good grief! most groups have at least one resident idiot. This group
has two.

Who, me or dennis ?

(I assume drivel is the other one)

--
geoff

Grimly Curmudgeon July 9th 10 12:23 AM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

drugs began to take hold. I remember (Alan
Braggins) saying something like:

Where by "speeding" they mean doing "about 17mph", so however bad his behaviour
was, it wasn't actually relevent to speed limits.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...ts/7496757.stm

Futher down that page, relating to another incident...

"Cynthia Barlow, chairwoman of safety charity RoadPeace, thinks it is
drivers who need to alter their habits to protect the growing band of
cyclists across Britain.

Her daughter Alex McVitty, 26, was killed in 2000 when a turning lorry
struck her bike in the City of London.

"The biggest problem involving the interaction between cyclists and
heavy goods vehicles is when the cyclist is going straight on and the
lorry is turning left," Mrs Barlow said."

She's still banging on about it, apparently oblivious to the fact her
daughter was somewhere she shouldn't have been and lacked the basic
observational skills to survive in city traffic.
She's so far up De Nile she's in ficking Khartoum.

dennis@home July 9th 10 08:03 AM

"geoff" wrote in message

And how are you going to achieve that braniac ?

You pay, like you do now, braniac.

they can't even cope with the first timers and if you hadn't noticed,
money is short in the public sector, cutbacks and redundancies are being
made across the public sector

**** me you're a retard

Mind you, if it got you off the road it would be worth it

Well I expect it will get you off the road.
That's why I want lots of average speed cameras, just to get you off the
road.

dennis@home July 9th 10 08:08 AM

dave wrote:

Isn't a drivers priority to expect other drivers to obey the rules?

No a dr8ivers priority is to exept the unexpected and assume that th eclot
who is indicatng to pull into teh side raod you are waiting to leave is

- actually turning into te drive just past it

95% of the drivers indicating to turn into the road I use every day drive
past and turn up the next road 50 m on.
They just don't appear to think the road is there even when there are cars
waiting to turn right.

- is a dozy **** who has had his indicator on for the last 20 miles

No, they start indicating about 40 m before, you can watch them.

- is on a scam trying to get you to have an accident with him.

Adrian July 9th 10 08:35 AM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

Grimly Curmudgeon gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

Your driving instructor clearly failed to pass on one of the more
important pieces of advice that mine (ex-Class 1 Police instructor) made
sure I took in.

Beware of smug old gits sticking rigidly to the limits?

2mph above them, because it gives him a little frisson of naughtiness?

Fortunately, they're not all like that particular one...

Adrian July 9th 10 08:36 AM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

"dennis@home" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Every other person on the road IS an incompetent lunatic and they ARE
trying to kill you.

Of course once you start driving you soon realise he was telling the
truth.

Breaking you in gently, if anything.

He also said that passing your test doesn't mean you can drive, just
that you can go and learn by yourself.
Its a shame so many don't learn anything later. I think compulsory
re-tests every 5 years would be a good idea to sort out the drivers that
don't improve.

Too many regard the driving test and MOT as the same thing - a high-water
mark rather than a bare minimum.

Adrian July 9th 10 08:37 AM

OT Cheeky Bastard Pt2 - Latest News

"dennis@home" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Well I expect it will get you off the road. That's why I want lots of
average speed cameras, just to get you off the road.

phew I can stop agreeing with you now.

Adrian July 9th 10 08:38 AM

[...]

She's right, though - it's the drivers who need to alter their habits.
More specifically, truck drivers need to stop turning left, the reckless
*******s. It achieves nothing that three right turns won't achieve, much
more safely.