Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dumb TV Socket Question

Hi all

Can someone please confirm that the socket attached is suitable for a
"standard" tv connection?
There's loads of talk of duplex this and triplex DAB that...I will be using
it for digital freeview signal (maybe freesat later) distributed from a
powered splitter - and for a phone point of course.

http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/en-GB/Pr.../K3557WHI.aspx

Thanks

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheScullster scribeth thus
Hi all

Can someone please confirm that the socket attached is suitable for a
"standard" tv connection?
There's loads of talk of duplex this and triplex DAB that...I will be using
it for digital freeview signal (maybe freesat later) distributed from a
powered splitter - and for a phone point of course.

http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/en-GB/Pr...BTsocketoutlet
s/Pages/K3557WHI.aspx

Thanks

Phil

One of the better ones. Tho some will say run the aerial lead directly
with nothing at all in the way but thats only in very marginal bad
reception areas..

Do make the flylead up yourself some of the pre made ones are absolute
rubbish 'tho they may look OK...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheScullster writes
Hi all

Can someone please confirm that the socket attached is suitable for a
"standard" tv connection?
There's loads of talk of duplex this and triplex DAB that...I will be using
it for digital freeview signal (maybe freesat later) distributed from a
powered splitter - and for a phone point of course.

http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/en-GB/Pr.../TVFMBTsocketo
utlets/Pages/K3557WHI.aspx

Given the poor description on that page, I'm not surprised you are
confused.

Yes, that is fine. It's a single so the duplex, triplexed etc
descriptions do not apply and non-isolated and screened are just what
you want.

Note the requirement for a 25mm back box and take care to avoid kinking
the cable. My pref is to use foam filled CF100 cable to reduce that risk
but have recently bought semi air cored CT100 equiv when on a budget,
used with care. Either way only use copper braid and copper foil
screened cable.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Can someone please confirm that the socket attached is suitable for a
"standard" tv connection? There's loads of talk of duplex this and
triplex DAB that...I will be using it for digital freeview signal
(maybe freesat later) distributed from a powered splitter - and for a
phone point of course.

http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/en-GB/Pr.../K3557WHI.aspx

Think you probably mean diplex? That's where you combine say a UHF TV
signal and a VHF radio one down the same co-ax. Needs a diplexer at either
end to do this. Then there are electrically isolated outlets for communal
systems. And probably lots more.

If you intend fitting a satellite system later, best get one with an
additional satellite socket too - these are different from UHF aerial ones.

--
*According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to all for reassurance.

Unfortunately, the cable I have used is not top-spec as it was routed
(literally) years ago before I had time to research satellite grade
offerings etc.
Now it would be a m-a-j-o-r exercise to replace, as it runs the length of
the inhabited house.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 21, 10:23*am, "TheScullster" wrote:
Thanks to all for reassurance.

Unfortunately, the cable I have used is not top-spec as it was routed
(literally) years ago before I had time to research satellite grade
offerings etc.
Now it would be a m-a-j-o-r *exercise to replace, as it runs the length of
the inhabited house.

Phil

The outlet's ok, though the description says male rather than female,
but perfectly usable if you've already got it.

Old cable can affect satellite reception, but sensible to try it and
see before messing with it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheScullster writes
Thanks to all for reassurance.

Unfortunately, the cable I have used is not top-spec as it was routed
(literally) years ago before I had time to research satellite grade
offerings etc.
Now it would be a m-a-j-o-r exercise to replace, as it runs the length of
the inhabited house.

Such is life, you may find it works ok, the stronger the signal the more
noise is required to interfere with it. Thus you may find it better to
use a larger aerial than a smaller one when you next change it or use a
distribution amplifier rather than a passive splitter when distributing
signals to the outlets. Bottom line, suck it and see.
--
fred

Dumb TV question oldfogie Electronics Repair 28 February 9th 08 01:41 PM
Dumb question? [email protected] Home Repair 8 August 29th 07 02:03 AM
Dumb question? anthony Home Repair 14 April 5th 07 04:04 PM
dumb question...from the new kid intuitiveart Woodworking 10 December 6th 06 12:48 PM
Dumb amplifier to feed speaker from earphone socket IanMayo UK diy 4 March 6th 06 11:31 PM