Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bell rings when garden gate opens?

My small city garden has a standard Victorian railing
on the street, with the gate as part of the railing.
A few days ago someone came in the garden and stole
a (locked) bike.

This made me wonder if there is any simple way
to make a bell ring when the gate is opened?

Also, is there a standard spring which will
keep the gate closed?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

This made me wonder if there is any simple way
to make a bell ring when the gate is opened?

Attach a bell to it.

You know - one of those bell shaped things - with the clanger bit
swinging about inside.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 17, 7:11 pm, " wrote:
This made me wonder if there is any simple way
to make a bell ring when the gate is opened?

Attach a bell to it.

You know - one of those bell shaped things - with the clanger bit
swinging about inside.

er...and remain within earshot at all times? sat on the bike maybe?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 17, 6:29 pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
My small city garden has a standard Victorian railing
on the street, with the gate as part of the railing.
A few days ago someone came in the garden and stole
a (locked) bike.

This made me wonder if there is any simple way
to make a bell ring when the gate is opened?

Also, is there a standard spring which will
keep the gate closed?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

ISTR adam was rigging up something similar very recently - google on
uk.d-i-y for "reed switch changeover" and see if it comes up if not
ask Adam (ARWadsworth) for an update?

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:

My small city garden has a standard Victorian railing
on the street, with the gate as part of the railing.
A few days ago someone came in the garden and stole
a (locked) bike.

This made me wonder if there is any simple way
to make a bell ring when the gate is opened?

Also, is there a standard spring which will
keep the gate closed?

yes micro-switch and a bell and a battery

--
---
zaax

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
On Jun 17, 6:29 pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
My small city garden has a standard Victorian railing
on the street, with the gate as part of the railing.
A few days ago someone came in the garden and stole
a (locked) bike.

This made me wonder if there is any simple way
to make a bell ring when the gate is opened?

Also, is there a standard spring which will
keep the gate closed?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

ISTR adam was rigging up something similar very recently - google on
uk.d-i-y for "reed switch changeover" and see if it comes up if not
ask Adam (ARWadsworth) for an update?

Cheers
Jim K

Yep.

I cannot finish the job as the lucky ******* has gone to South Africa to
watch England.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 17, 7:52 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

[...]

be back soon.......;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 17, 6:29*pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
My small city garden has a standard Victorian railing
on the street, with the gate as part of the railing.
A few days ago someone came in the garden and stole
a (locked) bike.

This made me wonder if there is any simple way
to make a bell ring when the gate is opened?

Also, is there a standard spring which will
keep the gate closed?

If you can arrange a switch to close as the gate opens, connect it
from battery/wallwart to bell via a big capacitor (eg 4700uF) so the
bell only gets a pulse of power when the gate opens.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
On Jun 17, 7:52 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

[...]

Not till the semifinals.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

"Jim K" wrote in message
On Jun 17, 7:52 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

[...]

We are not French after all. Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
My small city garden has a standard Victorian railing
on the street, with the gate as part of the railing.
A few days ago someone came in the garden and stole
a (locked) bike.

This made me wonder if there is any simple way
to make a bell ring when the gate is opened?

Not exactly the same, but I have an external PIR sensor on the garden path
which wirelessly triggers a battery powered doorbell which I keep with me if
I am in the garden, workshop, etc. That way I can hear visitors if I am out
of range of the rather feeble doorbell. The PIR is wired up to an old
wall-wart to save faffing around with batteries. eBay for PIR bell. Might be
useful if you don't have convenient wiring runs to the gate (like me). But
it can get triggered by birds occasionally

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:

My small city garden has a standard Victorian railing
on the street, with the gate as part of the railing.
A few days ago someone came in the garden and stole
a (locked) bike.

This made me wonder if there is any simple way
to make a bell ring when the gate is opened?

Also, is there a standard spring which will
keep the gate closed?

yes micro-switch and a bell and a battery

Why two?

Siu

Because my gate bell played three blind mice and then I added another
bell to play God Save the Queen. Then I used the timers for another
project.

--
---
zaax
Frustration casues accidents: allow faster traffic to overtake.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 18:29:28 +0100, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

My small city garden has a standard Victorian railing
on the street, with the gate as part of the railing.
A few days ago someone came in the garden and stole
a (locked) bike.

This made me wonder if there is any simple way
to make a bell ring when the gate is opened?

Fit a padlock or something similar to the gate, and a nelectric bell
for bona fide callers.

If you do want a "gate-operated" bell, I'd suggest a reed switch and
magnet rather than a microswitch from the point of view of weathering.
Hamlin do enclosed-type reed switches (e.g 59065-020) and associated
magnets; it should be trivial to knock up a suitable circuit (well,
sub O-level) to ring a bell as you wish.

Also, is there a standard spring which will
keep the gate closed?

Yes. A standard torsion gate spring is easy to fit (and only a bit
fiddlier to adjust!)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
wrote:

[...]

Just think of the useful energy in that

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Far too simple..

Crank connected to a hydraulic cylinder..
cylinder to a hydraulic motor..
output to a receiver.
Pre pressurise the receiver to keep the gate closed.
Connect genny to motor..
connect bell to genny.

Z Bar Garden gate no name UK diy 3 October 10th 07 06:31 PM
Garden gate samson Woodworking 2 July 2nd 07 05:33 AM
WTB: O-rings for garden hose fittings? [email protected] UK diy 5 October 6th 05 12:02 AM
Automatic gate opens spontaneously Tim UK diy 1 August 16th 05 09:34 AM
Garden Gate David Lang UK diy 1 July 13th 05 11:44 PM