Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Magna Booster - Do I need One??

Hi

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking
up'. The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW
London - the water is quite hard.

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick? My mum has a
Potterton conventional gas bolier fitted about four years ago and is
on a service contract with BG.

Thanks for you advice.

Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
swiggers writes
Hi

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking
up'. The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW
London - the water is quite hard.

If she believes in magic and is trying to get rid of excess money, then
yes

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick? My mum has a
Potterton conventional gas bolier fitted about four years ago

Conventional as opposed to condensing ?

That would most likely be illegal

and is
on a service contract with BG.

There's a mistake for a start

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 May 2010 12:17:16 -0700, swiggers wrote:

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking up'.
The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW London -
the water is quite hard.

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick? My mum has a
Potterton conventional gas bolier fitted about four years ago and is on
a service contract with BG.

Useless gimmick IMO. Dr Drivel will no doubt differ, but he's a nutter
(really).

If you do decide to go ahead, get quotes from local plumbers. Will be a
LOT cheaper than BG, and the workmanship will be better.

Example: I asked BG to quote for a boiler replacement a couple of years
ago. I also asked for a quote from a local, trusted plumber/heating
engineer. The local chap's quote actually included some additional bits,
as it turned out.

BG (with £600 discount included) - about £3250.
Local man - £1900.

And that was with a better boiler as well.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

swiggers wrote:
Hi

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking
up'. The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW
London - the water is quite hard.

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick? My mum has a
Potterton conventional gas bolier fitted about four years ago and is
on a service contract with BG.

Useless gimmick at a rip off price. Get rid of the BG service contract,
they have a nasty habit of claiming the boiler needs replacing because
spares are unavailable - when they are.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 May 2010 20:44:50 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

swiggers wrote:
Hi

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking up'.
The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW London -
the water is quite hard.

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick? My mum has a
Potterton conventional gas bolier fitted about four years ago and is on
a service contract with BG.

Useless gimmick at a rip off price. Get rid of the BG service contract,
they have a nasty habit of claiming the boiler needs replacing because
spares are unavailable - when they are.

Aftre my previous followup - they rendered our old boiler unserviceable
and were surprised when I got the new one from soemone else.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 May 2010 12:17:16 -0700 (PDT), swiggers wrote:

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking
up'.

Utter bull****. With a conventional boiler and indeed with a
condensing one the central heating water just circulates. The system
should have inhibitor(*) in this water to prevent corrosion. Even in
a very hard water area the amount of lime bought in for filling the
system is not remotely anywhere near being problem.

The only problem is if fresh water has to be introduced regulary to
counter leaks but even then the problem will be mainly from the
oxgyen in the fresh water leading to increased corrosion not any
lime.

The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW London -
the water is quite hard.

Tell 'em to go take a running jump.

(*) But as this system is under a BG "service" contract I wouldn't
like to be on that.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember swiggers
saying something like:

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating

250quid for snake oil. I bet the so-called 'engineer' is on a bonus for
recommending such ****e.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 8:17*pm, swiggers wrote:
Hi

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking
up'. The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW
London - the water is quite hard.

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick? My mum has a
Potterton conventional gas bolier fitted about four years ago and is
on a service contract with BG.

From the Daily Telegraph "However, recent industrial unrest has led to
many engineers posting their experiences on internet forums, including
the “Gas Leak” forum on the GMB Union website, and on the Telegraph
website [in response to Harry Wallop’s report of March 23]. They claim
British Gas management will not admit that its engineers are given
commission for selling, but prefers to describe the process as
“earning time bonuses” for “giving best advice”. If an engineer “gives
best advice” that a customer should buy a new boiler, for example, he
is allegedly rewarded with a time bonus equivalent to £12, and is
given a management target to give this kind of advice at least 24
times a year. If he “gives best advice” that a customer needs a
powerflush, or to buy a magnaclean filter or carbon monoxide detector,
the alleged time bonus is equivalent to £9 or £10 each time."

Avoid BG engineers like the plague.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've heard water conditioning magnets can help too,
so has anyone any advice on these, cheap emough to try I guess.http://www.first4magnets.com/water-c...gnets-33-c.asp

but it is worth the effort ?
and long term would this build up a potential blockage in the pipe,
if the water is 'well 'ard' as in East ludun init !

I thought these magnet-based water softeners were pure snake oil - but
this report from Southern Water says the effect is real (e.g. less
crusting), though very variable:

http://www.southernwater.co.uk/pdf/E...ersWRCnote.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"swiggers" wrote in message
Hi

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking
up'. The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW
London - the water is quite hard.

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick? My mum has a
Potterton conventional gas bolier fitted about four years ago and is
on a service contract with BG.

Thanks for you advice.

Well worth it and they do work. They protect the system.
http://www.magnabooster2.co.uk/

Take no notice of the amateur idiots on this group.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 May 2010 12:17:16 -0700, swiggers wrote:

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking up'.
The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW London -
the water is quite hard.

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick? My mum has a
Potterton conventional gas bolier fitted about four years ago and is on
a service contract with BG.

Useless gimmick IMO. Dr Drivel will no doubt differ,

You are a ****ing idiot!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
swiggers wrote:
Hi

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking
up'. The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW
London - the water is quite hard.

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick? My mum has a
Potterton conventional gas bolier fitted about four years ago and is
on a service contract with BG.

Useless gimmick at a rip off price.

This dope and handyman who puts doors on cupboards. Take no notice of him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 31 May 2010 12:17:16 -0700 (PDT), swiggers wrote:

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking
up'.

Utter bull****. With a conventional boiler and indeed with a
condensing one the central heating water just circulates. The system
should have inhibitor(*) in this water to prevent corrosion. Even in
a very hard water area the amount of lime bought in for filling the
system is not remotely anywhere near being problem.

The only problem is if fresh water has to be introduced regulary to
counter leaks but even then the problem will be mainly from the
oxgyen in the fresh water leading to increased corrosion not any
lime.

You really do not know what you are talking about and should not give advice
on these matters. When the inhibitor wears off the magna booster catches the
magnetite and other solids that would have blocked the heat exchanger. The
solids bake onto the inside on the small tubed heat exchanger. Most use the
spiralled tubed Giovanni.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 31/05/2010 20:17, swiggers wrote:
Hi

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking
up'. The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW
London - the water is quite hard.

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick? My mum has a
Potterton conventional gas bolier fitted about four years ago and is
on a service contract with BG.

Thanks for you advice.

Could that have been "Magnaclean" rather than booster? If so, it only
really seems to treat a symptom rather than a cause of a problem anyway.

It protects the heat exchanger as it is on the return. It also prevents
radiators sludging up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/06/2010 15:19, wrote:

I've heard water conditioning magnets can help too,
so has anyone any advice on these, cheap emough to try I
guess.
http://www.first4magnets.com/water-c...gnets-33-c.asp

but it is worth the effort ?
and long term would this build up a potential blockage in the pipe,
if the water is 'well 'ard' as in East ludun init !

I thought these magnet-based water softeners were pure snake oil - but
this report from Southern Water says the effect is real (e.g. less
crusting), though very variable:

http://www.southernwater.co.uk/pdf/E...ersWRCnote.pdf

Seems kind of pointless - the water in a heating system is stagnant - once
all the scale has precipitated out there is no more to come.

The inhibitor wears off and water is reintroduced at various time. If using
a vented F&E tank, fresh water is introduced regularly,.

Scale in hard water areas affects the domestic hot water side of the
system where the supply of water is fresh and ever changing. These devices
could only collect scale on the sealed primary side of the system.

They collect magnetite from the corrosion process. Sludge can ruin a
system. many system are running very inefficiently because the rads are
full of sludge. The sludge collects in the rads and the heat exchanger.

There is some argument for having a particulate trap on the return to the
boiler to prevent any debris reaching it (and the magnabooster appears to
include one of these - although at many times the price of a basic
strainer), but the primary requirement is to prevent the generation of
corrosion products in the first place by proper flushing and cleaning
followed by regular maintenance with inhibitor. Letting the system rust
and mopping up the result seems like its solving the wrong problem.

Basic strainers are not good enough. The Magna Booster collects the harmful
magentite and solids in the system. Most systems are not flushed well
enough on a boiler change and sludge ends up in the new boiler's heat
exchanger. They are "essential on a boiler change using existing rads.

I have seen sludge and solids collect in a Magna Booster filter after a
year, in a flushed new system with the correct amount of inhibitor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 10:29:10 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

It protects the heat exchanger as it is on the return. It also prevents
radiators sludging up.

To sweetheart - as noted, this is the nutter I mentioned. Ignore him.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 10:29:10 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

It protects the heat exchanger as it is on the return. It also prevents
radiators sludging up.

To sweetheart

**** off amateur idiot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"swiggers" wrote in message
Hi

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking
up'. The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW
London - the water is quite hard.

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick? My mum has a
Potterton conventional gas bolier fitted about four years ago and is
on a service contract with BG.

Thanks for you advice.

Simon

It is best you do not go to a DIY group for this info. It is full of
amateurs who do not know too much at all. A pro forum will tell you the same
as me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"swiggers" wrote in message
Hi

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking
up'. The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW
London - the water is quite hard.

They cost around £110 to £120.they are best filters. They can also be
emptied by the homeowner, being so simple and well designed. £250 to fit
sounds OK.

Would you buy a £50,000 car and put cheap £7 a can oil in it? You buy oil
with superior protection. You buy and expensive boiler so protect it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 10:29:10 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

It protects the heat exchanger as it is on the return. It also prevents
radiators sludging up.

To sweetheart - as noted, this is the nutter I mentioned. Ignore him.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Did you mean "To swiggers?" - or is there something we need to know?

I'll second the idiot bit though.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 16:07:55 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 10:29:10 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

It protects the heat exchanger as it is on the return. It also
prevents radiators sludging up.

To sweetheart - as noted, this is the nutter I mentioned. Ignore him.

Did you mean "To swiggers?" - or is there something we need to know?

You're right - that was another thread....

I'll second the idiot bit though.

Thanks!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.co.uk...
[...]

Which brochure did you lift that straight out of ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
news
In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
hill.co.uk...
[...]

Maxie, it was a brochure that had turned down wellies and donkey jackets in
it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 10:29:10 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

It protects the heat exchanger as it is on the return. It also prevents
radiators sludging up.

To sweetheart - as noted, this is the nutter I mentioned. Ignore him.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Did you mean "To swiggers?" - or is there something we need to know?

I'll second the idiot bit though.

Yes he is an idiot - much like yourself. I know-it-all who knows ****-all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 June, 10:27, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:

When the inhibitor wears off the magna booster catches the
magnetite and other solids that would have blocked the heat exchanger.

Has anyone opened up a Magna booster and found this pile of mythical
sludge?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

I know-it-all who knows ****-all.

Says it all really.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel"
saying something like:

I know-it-all who knows ****-all.

*Quality* typo.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Useless gimmick IMO. Dr Drivel will no doubt differ, but he's a nutter
(really).

He's now trolling uk.legal using the nym "Facts". He can't seem to
understand how he gets spotted so quickly when he changes his nym.

Dimmer than a 1W CFL is Drivel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

swiggers wrote:

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick?

The second one, useless gimmick.

We live on the South Downs. The water is harder than in London. THe CH
system has been in place for 25 years with only a change in boiler to
get a more modern unit a few years ago. There's no sludge in the pipes
or radiators. I know because runs of pipework were taken to pieces for
checking when the new boiler was installed.

As others have said, the water in the CH system does not get changed,
hence there's no problem with limescale or sludge.

Ignore Drivel, he really is a drooling retard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
swiggers wrote:

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick?

The second one, useless gimmick.

This pervo needs locking up. Tagging is too good for him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Useless gimmick IMO. Dr Drivel will no doubt differ, but he's a nutter
(really).

He's

This pervo needs locking up. Tagging is too god for him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 3 June, 10:27, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:

When the inhibitor wears off the magna booster catches the
magnetite and other solids that would have blocked the heat exchanger.

Has anyone opened up a Magna booster and found this pile of mythical
sludge?

It is not mythical, it collects magentite on the magnet. The Magna Boost is
the best, catching magnetic "sludge" and other solids. It is easy to remove
the sludge, in the annual service.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 June, 08:45, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Has anyone opened up a Magna booster and found this pile of mythical
sludge?

It is not mythical, it collects magentite on the magnet. *The Magna Boost is
the best, catching magnetic "sludge" and other solids. It is easy to remove
the sludge, in the annual service.

If you're de-sludging annually, your inhibition needs looking at!

Does an inhibited system generate enough sludge to warrant a magnetic
trap?

Is the Magna booster a reasonable trap? (seems likely enough, although
massively over-priced) Is BG installation fee reasonable? (seems
equally massive, IMHO).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 4 June, 08:45, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Has anyone opened up a Magna booster and found this pile of mythical
sludge?

It is not mythical, it collects magentite on the magnet. The Magna Boost
is
the best, catching magnetic "sludge" and other solids. It is easy to
remove
the sludge, in the annual service.

If you're de-sludging annually, your inhibition needs looking at!

You are right. But it will catch the stuff if the inhibitor breaks down or
neglected. It also catches solids on commissioning.

Many installers use them on boiler changes to avoid the expensive poweflush.
They flush through with fresh water, and run the pump, then after 1/2 hour
empty, and then another 1/2 hour. They do this as they say do the electric
and tidy up, some plastering or whatever. Many put two does of X-100 in it
and of he homeowner is competent enough tell them to empty it every moth
until clean and top up to 1 bar. They hate call-backs.

Does an inhibited system generate enough
sludge to warrant a magnetic trap?

I theory no. In practice yes. Few are redosed at the correct time. On
boiler changes, which is most of the work these days, they are essential to
catch the sludge hanging about. A power flush never gets it all out.

Is the Magna booster a reasonable trap?
(seems likely enough, although
massively over-priced) Is BG installation
fee reasonable? (seems
equally massive, IMHO).

The unit is made by Spirovent who make industrial units as well. They make
quality products. £250, when unit costs say £110 is fine for a drain down
and refill. That is £140 for the work which can take some time depending on
the system. And you may find they put new X-100 in as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I know one installer who puts pressure reducing value on the system set to
1 bar and leaves it open. He puts 2 cans of X-100 and a Magana Boost. He
will instructs the homeowner to empty the filter using a bucket and turning
a tap until only clean water comes through. That way he has no call backs
at all and the customer has a clean system. His get out is that the PRV is
for fillup only and he left it on by mistake.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

It is not mythical, it collects magentite

Magentite? A sort of purple sludge?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 02:53:37 -0700 (PDT) Andy Dingley wrote :
If you're de-sludging annually, your inhibition needs looking at!

Does an inhibited system generate enough sludge to warrant a
magnetic trap?

Is the Magna booster a reasonable trap? (seems likely enough,
although massively over-priced) Is BG installation fee reasonable?
(seems equally massive, IMHO).

I put a Magnaclean on my mum's CH - when I swapped the boiler I spent
a long time flushing the system through, and I then followed the
Keston advice to add a Y-strainer. Every few weeks this would clog up
with something the consistency of grease. In the end I took it out
and replaced it with a Magnaclean which doesn't obstruct the flow as
it collects stuff.

The Magna Boost is a much suoperior to the Magaclean

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tony Bryer wrote:
I put a Magnaclean on my mum's CH - when I swapped the boiler I spent
a long time flushing the system through, and I then followed the
Keston advice to add a Y-strainer. Every few weeks this would clog up
with something the consistency of grease. In the end I took it out
and replaced it with a Magnaclean which doesn't obstruct the flow as
it collects stuff.

Did you clean the system properly as per the boiler maker's instructions?
The 'grease' has to be coming from somewhere and a magnaclean or other
such product ain't going to sort the source of it. And if some form of
chemical reaction is taking place sooner or later you'll end up with
having to replace everything...

--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The Magna Boost is a much suoperior to the Magaclean

That's definitely the kiss of death for Magma Boost.

Just shows the type of cowboy plumbers you hang round with if they need to
fit such a thing.

--
*It ain't the size, it's... er... no, it IS ..the size.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 09:21:29 +1000, Tony Bryer wrote:

Every few weeks this would clog up with something the consistency of
grease. In the end I took it out and replaced it with a Magnaclean which
doesn't obstruct the flow as it collects stuff.

But still requires cleaning every few weeks of the "grease" or isn't
it trapping that? The "grease" is probably bacteria. Not overly
convinced that any iron corrsion products are magnetic either.

--
Cheers
Dave.

ram booster 8.0 crack [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 20th 08 03:53 PM
Magna-Set Magnetic Jointer Knife Setting Jig Rick Woodworking 4 January 18th 08 10:58 PM
VOIP Booster? Mike Dobony Home Repair 16 September 24th 07 02:01 PM
Magna bandsaw R Hawkins Woodworking 1 July 13th 06 04:00 PM
Hot water booster [email protected] UK diy 6 January 15th 06 08:25 PM