Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what was it?

Hi Group
I am sure the brain trust here can answer my simple question.
We recently had a new tiled floor put in our kitchen. During the
process the chap doing the work had to take a bit off the bottom of
one of the doors. He did this using some kind of machine which he just
pushed under the door without removing it. The qustion is what was
this machine as I want to buy one.
Thanks for any answers.
Graham
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham" wrote in message
Hi Group
I am sure the brain trust here can answer my simple question.
We recently had a new tiled floor put in our kitchen. During the
process the chap doing the work had to take a bit off the bottom of
one of the doors. He did this using some kind of machine which he just
pushed under the door without removing it. The qustion is what was
this machine as I want to buy one.
Thanks for any answers.
Graham

door trimmer?
http://www.woodenflooringsales.com/s...Door%20Trimmer
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Several tools that will do this. An oscillating multitool like the
Fein multimaster will do it (though not ideally), as will some biscuit
joiners (mine says it will in the manual - haven't tried it though).
But there's also some handheld circular saws designed to do this as an
extra function - Maffell do them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham" wrote in message
Hi Group
I am sure the brain trust here can answer my simple question.
We recently had a new tiled floor put in our kitchen. During the
process the chap doing the work had to take a bit off the bottom of
one of the doors. He did this using some kind of machine which he just
pushed under the door without removing it. The qustion is what was
this machine as I want to buy one.
Thanks for any answers.
Graham

I've done this sucessfully several times with a Fein Multimaster.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AlanD wrote:
"Graham" wrote in message
Hi Group
I am sure the brain trust here can answer my simple question.
We recently had a new tiled floor put in our kitchen. During the
process the chap doing the work had to take a bit off the bottom of
one of the doors. He did this using some kind of machine which he just
pushed under the door without removing it. The qustion is what was
this machine as I want to buy one.
Thanks for any answers.
Graham

I've done this sucessfully several times with a Fein Multimaster.

A circular saw and a batten works well if you're prepared to spend 5
minutes taking the door off. No point spending a load of money on a
dedicated tool. How many doors is one likely to need to trim?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
AlanD wrote:
"Graham" wrote in message
Hi Group
I am sure the brain trust here can answer my simple question.
We recently had a new tiled floor put in our kitchen. During the
process the chap doing the work had to take a bit off the bottom of
one of the doors. He did this using some kind of machine which he
just pushed under the door without removing it. The qustion is what
was this machine as I want to buy one.
Thanks for any answers.
Graham

I've done this sucessfully several times with a Fein Multimaster.

A circular saw and a batten works well if you're prepared to spend 5
minutes taking the door off. No point spending a load of money on a
dedicated tool. How many doors is one likely to need to trim?

I looked at getting one, trimming doors is a regular job - I love carpet
fitters :-)

Piggin expensive! I use a sawboard & a circ saw as you suggest.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the suggestions. Once I had seen the reply from Vass I
recognised the device. Also once I had seen the price I took the
advice to remove said door and put the circular saw to work.

Thanks for all replies.
Graham
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Graham wrote:
I am sure the brain trust here can answer my simple question.
We recently had a new tiled floor put in our kitchen. During the
process the chap doing the work had to take a bit off the bottom of
one of the doors. He did this using some kind of machine which he just
pushed under the door without removing it. The qustion is what was
this machine as I want to buy one.

My guess is if you got a man in to tile, it's just for DIY use. And is
likely to be very expensive. Unless using it to make a living with.
What's the problem with removing a door and using a circular saw?

--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.