Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Whole House fans - where can I buy one?

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Would one of those not be rather noisy?

No reason why it should be any more noisy than aircon.

I thought heat pumps were the in thing these days performing the job of
cooling and heating.

Those cost a lot more to buy and to run in spades.

wrote in message
On Friday, May 28, 2010 at 4:42:14 PM UTC+1, Pyriform wrote:
I've decided these are a good idea, and I'd like to fit one. The trouble
is
that the only suitable products I've found using google are from US
companies, designed for 110V. Does anyone know of a UK supplier for this
sort of thing?

[For anyone who doesn't know what I'm on about, a whole house fan is a
fairly powerful fan that vents hot air from the house into the attic
space
(and thence outside), and draws cool air in through open windows etc. The
idea is that you run it when the house is too hot, and the outside
temperature is significantly cooler - typically to cool things down at
night
after a very hot day.]

Pyriform, did you ever get a useful reply to this? I know what you mean,
having lived in the US we had one of these whole house fans in our house
and it was fantastic, meant we did not need to have air conditioning
installed. With hotter summer days on the increase here in the U.K., I'm
interested to get one put in the house here. Our loft is already
ventilated, but I can't find the right kind of fan. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 18:37:44 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2020 08:57, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 01/07/20 10:17, wrote:
On Friday, May 28, 2010 at 4:42:14 PM UTC+1, Pyriform wrote:
I've decided these are a good idea, and I'd like to fit one. The
trouble is
that the only suitable products I've found using google are from US
companies, designed for 110V. Does anyone know of a UK supplier for this
sort of thing?

[For anyone who doesn't know what I'm on about, a whole house fan is a
fairly powerful fan that vents hot air from the house into the attic
space
(and thence outside), and draws cool air in through open windows etc.
The
idea is that you run it when the house is too hot, and the outside
temperature is significantly cooler - typically to cool things down
at night
after a very hot day.]

Pyriform, did you ever get a useful reply to this?Â* I know what you
mean, having lived in the US we had one of these whole house fans in
our house and it was fantastic, meant we did not need to have air
conditioning installed.Â* With hotter summer days on the increase here
in the U.K., Im interested to get one put in the house here.Â* Our
loft is already ventilated, but I cant find the right kind of fan.
Thanks.

Try here https://www.johnsonandstarley.co.uk/products/ventilation.

Of course the issue is in the statement that: "and draws cool air in
through open windows etc."

Where did you see that statement? My understanding of the J&S system is
that it feeds the house rooms with warm air in winter and cold air in
summer using the same ducting. It uses the same heat-exchanger "in the
box" but working in reverse when it needs to cool rather than heat.
Anyway, even if the OP doesn't need air-conditioning, the point is that
J&S have a vast amount of experience with fans for whole-house
ventilation, so might well have a fan for the OP's requirements.

Only if your house has extreme solar gain and no roof insulation is it
going to be warmer inside than out

In hot summer here with 30C outside it is rare to see the inside go
aboven15. At night I open the windows., By day I close the windows and
draw the curtains

15?! I assume you meant 25. Or maybe you have a really high-powered A/C
unit... :-)

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/20 10:17, wrote:
[...]

I meant 25.. :-)

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/20 10:17, wrote:
[...]

Nonsense. Virtually all houses built since the 1960's will have ended up
with internal temperatures well above 20C after a couple of days of 30C+
outside. Mine was up to 26C in Sussex, and that's with all south-facing
windows shut and curtains drawn.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

By day I close the windows and draw the curtains

No surprises there, then.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2020 16:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Simple way to keep a house cool, at least for several hot days, is to
keep windows closed and pull down blinds, during the heat of the day. On
an evening, once the outdoors cools down some, open the windows.

During the hot spell of last week, indoors it never exceeded a
comfortable 23.5C, when I was recording 31.5C outdoors.

About what we got in the house. Why does nobody (1) in the UK know this?

In my office down the garden which has stuff generating heat I had to
open the door and let the heat out to keep it down to 30. Just for once
I missed the trip into work, where the aircon is sized for the computers
we have.

Andy
--
(1) OK, almost nobody
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 01/07/2020 13:44, Bev wrote:
On Wed, 01 Jul 2020 12:21:43 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

With hotter summer days on the increase here in the U.K.
********

Back in the 50s and early 60s IÂ* remember headlines of 90-100F
temperatures

I haven't seen it over 30°C in the last 20 years

June 2017 and 2019 were not 20 years ago but maybe you were in the wrong
location to experience them.

they weren't as hot as things were in the 50s and 60s

When you were at your peak?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Look up "Soler & Palau whole house".

I put in one of their axial silent fans to duct fresh air into the rooms in the to floor bedrooms and have been delighted with it. It is REALLY quiet and connected to a variable thermostat that turns it on at the required temperature.

They also make whole house systems with or without heat recovery. Their product are top grade. You get what you pay for.