DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Trailing Socket with USB Ports (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/303529-trailing-socket-usb-ports.html)

Stephen2 May 23rd 10 08:19 PM

Trailing Socket with USB Ports

Anyone know of a good extension cable/trailing socket that includes
usb sockets as well as 3 pin electrical sockets? Thanks.

Andrew Gabriel May 23rd 10 09:38 PM

Trailing Socket with USB Ports

In article ,
Stephen2 writes:
Anyone know of a good extension cable/trailing socket that includes
usb sockets as well as 3 pin electrical sockets? Thanks.

What are the USB sockets connected to?
or is this just for 5V power?

Max length of a USB cable is only a few metres (5, I think)
before the data signal degrades too much.
You can get longer by daisy-chaining hubs, and there are
USB extension leads which consist of a 1-port hub with a 5m
lead.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Stephen2 May 23rd 10 09:41 PM

Trailing Socket with USB Ports

On May 23, 9:38*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Stephen2 writes:

Anyone know of a good extension cable/trailing socket that includes
usb sockets as well as 3 pin electrical sockets? Thanks.

What are the USB sockets connected to?
or is this just for 5V power?

Max length of a USB cable is only a few metres (5, I think)
before the data signal degrades too much.
You can get longer by daisy-chaining hubs, and there are
USB extension leads which consist of a 1-port hub with a 5m
lead.

--
Andrew Gabriel

I thought it could be used for charging things like mobile phone,
spare battery and stuff like that. Maybe not a good idea though.
Thanks for the info.

Rod May 23rd 10 09:59 PM

On 23/05/2010 21:41, Stephen2 wrote:
On May 23, 9:38 pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In ,
writes:

Anyone know of a good extension cable/trailing socket that includes
usb sockets as well as 3 pin electrical sockets? Thanks.

What are the USB sockets connected to?
or is this just for 5V power?

Max length of a USB cable is only a few metres (5, I think)
before the data signal degrades too much.
You can get longer by daisy-chaining hubs, and there are
USB extension leads which consist of a 1-port hub with a 5m
lead.

--
Andrew Gabriel

I thought it could be used for charging things like mobile phone,
spare battery and stuff like that. Maybe not a good idea though.
Thanks for the info.

Just plug one of these [see below] into a standard 13A extension cable.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Newlink-USB-CHRGT-Mains-to-1xUSB-UK-Travel-Charger-Black-Mobiles-PDAs-A-MUST-HAVE!!

Plenty of other versions available all over the place.

Or have a look at this search

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=13a+usb+charger

which does have extension cables with USB built-in and other products.

--
Rod

Mike Tomlinson May 24th 10 07:44 PM

Trailing Socket with USB Ports

In article
s.com, Stephen2 writes

there are
USB extension leads which consist of a 1-port hub with a 5m
lead.

They're called USB repeaters. You can daisy-chain up to five of them.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny's thinking about giving Windows 7