Old May 3rd 10, 04:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best 'instant on' CFL bulbs?

Getting a bit tired of CFL bulbs that take up to a minute to warm up
too 100% brightness, so can anyone recommend any 'instant on' 60 Watt
(13 Watt CFL?) equivalent bulbs please?

Thanks

Old May 3rd 10, 06:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 May 2010 17:44:34 +0100, Derek Geldard
wrote:

Oh dear, that bad huh?

So we've had these poor quality CFL bulbs foisted upon us and, to make
matters worse, can no longer buy the old 60w non-CFL bulbs.

What a shambles.

Old May 3rd 10, 07:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 3, 4:35*pm, (jamma-plusser) wrote:
Getting a bit tired of CFL bulbs that take up to a minute to warm up
too 100% brightness, so can anyone recommend any 'instant on' 60 Watt
(13 Watt CFL?) *equivalent bulbs please?

Thanks

best go up to at least 15w for a 60w equivalent.

NT
Old May 3rd 10, 07:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 May 2010 11:03:33 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

On May 3, 4:35=A0pm, (jamma-plusser) wrote:
Getting a bit tired of CFL bulbs that take up to a minute to warm up
too 100% brightness, so can anyone recommend any 'instant on' 60 Watt
(13 Watt CFL?) =A0equivalent bulbs please?

Thanks

best go up to at least 15w for a 60w equivalent.

Noted, ta for the tip.

Old May 3rd 10, 09:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Derek Geldard writes:
On Mon, 03 May 2010 15:35:09 GMT,
(jamma-plusser) wrote:

Getting a bit tired of CFL bulbs that take up to a minute to warm up
too 100% brightness, so can anyone recommend any 'instant on' 60 Watt
(13 Watt CFL?) equivalent bulbs please?

There aren't any, sorry.

Trouble is, the run-up time is necessary for the high efficiency.
For fittings I make myself, the 2D compact fluorescents are about
the best in this respect, but that's also because they are slightly
less efficient.

They are better than they were in the dear old days but the best of
the current (No pun intended) crop are still about 30% - 50% down at
1 minute, and another 30% down after 12 month's service.(All except
"Dynamo" Hansen's, they positively coruscate within seconds of being
energised).

IMV Feit lamps from Costco (& others) are the3 best of a bad bunch

Agreed. They are the only CFLs I've seen which actually have the
correct filament equivalency printed on them (with 23W = 100W).
They also seem to last very well, including in enclosed (hot)
fittings. The 23W CFL lamps are bigger than 100W lamps, but are
probably the shortest 23W CFL you'll find, and fit in more
existing fittings than any other make I've found.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old May 3rd 10, 09:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On May 3, 4:35=A0pm, (jamma-plusser) wrote:
Getting a bit tired of CFL bulbs that take up to a minute to warm up
too 100% brightness, so can anyone recommend any 'instant on' 60 Watt
(13 Watt CFL?) =A0equivalent bulbs please?

Thanks

best go up to at least 15w for a 60w equivalent.

Noted, ta for the tip.

Also, go for the 'warm' colour temperatu the high colour temp ones make a
room look cold and dark however bright they are when you look right at them.
And our ones (the only kind we could get to fit in the narrow screw size at
the time) rapidly became so dim as to be pretty well unusable.

Old May 4th 10, 08:05 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 May 2010 15:35:09 GMT someone who may be
(jamma-plusser) wrote this:-

Getting a bit tired of CFL bulbs that take up to a minute to warm up
too 100% brightness, so can anyone recommend any 'instant on' 60 Watt
(13 Watt CFL?) equivalent bulbs please?

If you want "instant" starting then you need to buy LEDs.

I have been using compact fluorescent lamps for many decades. Some
of the older ones were noticeably slow to start, especially the old
glass bulb ones, as are some newer ones. These take time to warm up.
However, despite long and loud assertions from some that it is
impossible, I use Philips and General Electric compact fluorescent
lamps in places like stairs and toilets where rapid light is
necessary. These lamps are not noticeably slow to start. As the
lamps last a long time it is not possible for me to say anything
about the lamps now on sale, the ones on the stairs and in the
toilet are at least a decade old.

The exception is the bottom of the stairs. The SES reflector lamp I
tried there was a little too slow to start (another poster has
explained why), so I replaced it with a LED version.

I use the slower starting lamps in places where a slow startup is
not a problem.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Old May 4th 10, 10:48 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 May 2010 08:05:33 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

I have been using compact fluorescent lamps for many decades. Some
of the older ones were noticeably slow to start, especially the old
glass bulb ones, as are some newer ones.

Correct.

These take time to warm up.
However, despite long and loud assertions from some that it is
impossible, I use Philips and General Electric compact fluorescent
lamps in places like stairs and toilets where rapid light is
necessary. These lamps are not noticeably slow to start.

All a bit empirical that, especially from such a biased source. Please
show us your measurements.

As the
lamps last a long time it is not possible for me to say anything
about the lamps now on sale, the ones on the stairs and in the
toilet are at least a decade old.

Ditto.

The exception is the bottom of the stairs. The SES reflector lamp I
tried there was a little too slow to start (another poster has
explained why), so I replaced it with a LED version.

I use the slower starting lamps in places where a slow startup is
not a problem.

Where do you use the dim ones and what for ?

Derek