Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cat spraying - how to deter?

I normally like cats but this one is trying my patience! Scabby feral
tom cat is spraying right next to our side door. A mixture of bleach
and bio washing powder shifts the smell OK ish, but it just seems to
encourage it to re-mark its 'territory'. Any way to deter?

TIA.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon C. wrote:
I normally like cats but this one is trying my patience! Scabby feral
tom cat is spraying right next to our side door. A mixture of bleach
and bio washing powder shifts the smell OK ish, but it just seems to
encourage it to re-mark its 'territory'. Any way to deter?

TIA.

lion ****. Or a lion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 8:00*pm, Simon C. . wrote:
I normally like cats but this one is trying my patience! Scabby feral
tom cat is spraying right next to our side door. A mixture of bleach
and bio washing powder shifts the smell OK ish, but it just seems to
encourage it to re-mark its 'territory'. Any way to deter?

TIA.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Cat

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:32:40 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Cat

Some interesting ideas, ta.

Anyone tried; water bottles, toy snakes, orange peel?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon C." . wrote in message
I normally like cats but this one is trying my patience! Scabby feral
tom cat is spraying right next to our side door. A mixture of bleach
and bio washing powder shifts the smell OK ish, but it just seems to
encourage it to re-mark its 'territory'. Any way to deter?

TIA

'Tin' foil plus one of those capacitors Harry was keeping for zapping his
old batteries...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

spamlet used his keyboard to write :
"Simon C." . wrote in message
I normally like cats but this one is trying my patience! Scabby feral
tom cat is spraying right next to our side door. A mixture of bleach
and bio washing powder shifts the smell OK ish, but it just seems to
encourage it to re-mark its 'territory'. Any way to deter?

TIA

'Tin' foil plus one of those capacitors Harry was keeping for zapping his old
batteries...

No, no - you will need the high voltage low capacity, low leakage ones
and charged up to a suitable voltage.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon C. . gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

I normally like cats but this one is trying my patience! Scabby feral
tom cat is spraying right next to our side door. A mixture of bleach and
bio washing powder shifts the smell OK ish, but it just seems to
encourage it to re-mark its 'territory'. Any way to deter?

A vet with two bricks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon C. . wrote in
:

I normally like cats but this one is trying my patience! Scabby feral
tom cat is spraying right next to our side door. A mixture of bleach
and bio washing powder shifts the smell OK ish, but it just seems to
encourage it to re-mark its 'territory'. Any way to deter?

TIA.

Air pistol/rifle, catapult, 230 volts, dog (most sizes) size 7 or over
boot, the answers go on and on

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:27:31 +0000 (UTC), Heliotrope Smith
wrote:

Air pistol/rifle, catapult, 230 volts, dog (most sizes) size 7 or over
boot, the answers go on and on

Oh don't worry, I've had all these thoughts, plus 'weedburner' which
has so many uses beyond burning weeds.

In future I guess I'll have to put 'serious replies only please'

But do carry on, joking or otherwise.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon C." . wrote in message
I normally like cats but this one is trying my patience! Scabby feral
tom cat is spraying right next to our side door. A mixture of bleach
and bio washing powder shifts the smell OK ish, but it just seems to
encourage it to re-mark its 'territory'. Any way to deter?

A bit of calcium carbide ground up and covered in beef dripping would
probably discourage it with extreme prejudice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2010 21:41, Simon C. wrote:
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:27:31 +0000 (UTC), Heliotrope Smith
wrote:

Air pistol

Hmm...
rifle,

Hmm...
catapult,

Hmm...
230 volts,

Hmm...
dog (most sizes)

Hmm...
size 7 or over boot,

Hmm...
'weedburner' which

Hmm,
Mornington Crescent!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:00:47 +0100, Simon C. wrote:

I normally like cats but this one is trying my patience! Scabby feral
tom cat is spraying right next to our side door. A mixture of bleach and
bio washing powder shifts the smell OK ish, but it just seems to
encourage it to re-mark its 'territory'. Any way to deter?

That spaceship from "Aliens" + suitable thermonuclear device. Nuke the
******* from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Cat

Some interesting ideas, ta.

Anyone tried; water bottles, toy snakes, orange peel?

They don't work. What I did with the Tom cat that was about to spray our
new bedroom carpet, was to corner it, pick it up and do a rugby drop
kick out of the house. That was over two years ago and it has only
ventured back once and scrammed quickly when it saw me.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Crosland wrote:
"Simon C." . wrote in message
I normally like cats but this one is trying my patience! Scabby feral
tom cat is spraying right next to our side door. A mixture of bleach
and bio washing powder shifts the smell OK ish, but it just seems to
encourage it to re-mark its 'territory'. Any way to deter?

Lead!

What, as an ear tablet?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Apr, 00:02, Dave wrote:

Lead!

What, as an ear tablet?

No! Fired at the "tea tow holder" with an air-gun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 00:00:48 +0100, Dave wrote:

What I did with the Tom cat that was about to spray our new bedroom
carpet, was to corner it, pick it up and do a rugby drop kick out of the
house.

More or less what I did with a tom that was coming into our house. I
still have the scars... This was a semi-wild farm cat tom so it
"wasn't happy" about being caught, half strangled in a scruff of the
neck, sat on and finally lobbed 15' out of the front door. Haven't
seen it since. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Air pistol/rifle, catapult, 230 volts, dog (most sizes) size 7 or over
boot, the answers go on and on

Oh don't worry, I've had all these thoughts, plus 'weedburner' which
has so many uses beyond burning weeds.

In future I guess I'll have to put 'serious replies only please'

But do carry on, joking or otherwise.

Joking apart a pressure washer, or even a large water pistol can be very
effective.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Apr, 20:00, Simon C. . wrote:
I normally like cats but this one is trying my patience! Scabby feral
tom cat is spraying right next to our side door. A mixture of bleach
and bio washing powder shifts the smell OK ish, but it just seems to
encourage it to re-mark its 'territory'. Any way to deter?

TIA.

As well as lion ****, garden shops also sell large containers of
pepper dust - one of the items mentioned in the diyfaq. Try spreading
that around regularly (assuming you don't have your own dog/pets which
use the garden). And strictly, according to the law ands as explained
on the tin, its use has to be confined to your own private property.

Toom
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon C. wrote:
I normally like cats but this one is trying my patience! Scabby feral
tom cat is spraying right next to our side door. A mixture of bleach
and bio washing powder shifts the smell OK ish, but it just seems to
encourage it to re-mark its 'territory'. Any way to deter?

TIA.

The bravest of my cats, capable of seeing off a large German Shepherd
dog, had one phobia. Couldn't stand the eyes of a predator bird. I found
this out with a card model owl that I hung from the ceiling (don't
ask!). The cat was terrified and refused to come out of hiding until I
got rid of the model. I wonder if you might be able to get a plastic
version to hang over the target? It needs no attention or repeat doses.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 01:38:52 -0700 (PDT), Toom Tabard
wrote:

On 29 Apr, 20:00, Simon C. . wrote:
I normally like cats but this one is trying my patience! Scabby feral
tom cat is spraying right next to our side door. A mixture of bleach
and bio washing powder shifts the smell OK ish, but it just seems to
encourage it to re-mark its 'territory'. Any way to deter?

TIA.

As well as lion ****, garden shops also sell large containers of
pepper dust - one of the items mentioned in the diyfaq. Try spreading
that around regularly (assuming you don't have your own dog/pets which
use the garden). And strictly, according to the law ands as explained
on the tin, its use has to be confined to your own private property.

Anything like this is only going to last a short time. A day or two
at most.

If you can catch the cat then scaring it out of its skin is the only
long term solution IME.

Trouble is you get rid of one cat an another will appear in its place.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-04-30, Mark wrote:

If you can catch the cat then scaring it out of its skin is the only
long term solution IME.

IME, the cat ends up scared of *you* rather than the place. Our neighbours
semi-feral cat likes our bird table, but flees at a rate of knots when it
sees me (catapult+gravel saw to that). But ... it still comes back when it
can't see me.

That makes it a two-stage process. Local cats have learned to flee at
a rate of knots when my wife enters the garden, and later throw
themselves under the wheels of buses when she walks down the street.

Toom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:05:36 -0700 (PDT), Toom Tabard
wrote:

Local cats have learned to flee at
a rate of knots when my wife enters the garden, and later throw
themselves under the wheels of buses when she walks down the street.

Does she have a similar effect on people?

I ask because she could be deployed to solve the immigration problem.

;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-04-29, Dave wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote:
"Simon C." . wrote in message
I normally like cats but this one is trying my patience! Scabby feral
tom cat is spraying right next to our side door. A mixture of bleach
and bio washing powder shifts the smell OK ish, but it just seems to
encourage it to re-mark its 'territory'. Any way to deter?

Lead!

What, as an ear tablet?

I suspect Peter means about an ounce of it, finely divided and travelling
at approximately 1000fps.

I was told any years ago, that that was what an ear tablet was :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-04-29, Dave wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote:
"Simon C." . wrote in message
I normally like cats but this one is trying my patience! Scabby feral
tom cat is spraying right next to our side door. A mixture of bleach
and bio washing powder shifts the smell OK ish, but it just seems to
encourage it to re-mark its 'territory'. Any way to deter?
Lead!
What, as an ear tablet?
I suspect Peter means about an ounce of it, finely divided and travelling
at approximately 1000fps.

I was told any years ago, that that was what an ear tablet was :-)

Blimey, despite shooting clays for many years, I've never heard that
before. That's todays thing learned - I can go for a beer now.

I sometimes drink with a couple of clay shooters, but I didn't pick the
expression up from them. It must have been about 1981 when I first heard
of it, but the person who told me lives in Oz now and when I knew him,
he didn't have a local (Lancashire) accent.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Local cats have learned to flee at
a rate of knots when my wife enters the garden, and later throw
themselves under the wheels of buses when she walks down the street.

Does she have a similar effect on people?

I ask because she could be deployed to solve the immigration problem.

;-)

large fly in the ointment - she's an immigrant :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ron Lowe" wrote in message
On 29/04/2010 20:00, Simon C. wrote:
I normally like cats but this one is trying my patience! Scabby feral
tom cat is spraying right next to our side door. A mixture of bleach
and bio washing powder shifts the smell OK ish, but it just seems to
encourage it to re-mark its 'territory'. Any way to deter?

TIA.

Angle Grinder...?

Angle grinder works well but by the time you have put the cat in a vice to
hold it steady, it is just as good to clamp its head very securely. They
preferred my lawn which I criss-crossed with fine green fishing line. This
drove them onto my neighbours area so they have the smell. Anybody tried
rabbit snares?
Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 29 April 2010 21:00:47 UTC+2, Simon C. wrote:
I normally like cats but this one is trying my patience! Scabby feral
tom cat is spraying right next to our side door. A mixture of bleach
and bio washing powder shifts the smell OK ish, but it just seems to
encourage it to re-mark its 'territory'. Any way to deter?

TIA.

I'm sorry for bumping this old thread, but I really feel like I have some advice to offer you - and you seemed to really need it at the time

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked. He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at.

How to deter dogs jives11 UK diy 6 March 11th 08 12:06 PM
Does amonia deter cats... The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 54 April 22nd 06 08:06 PM
Spraying conundrum todd Woodworking 21 January 6th 06 02:15 AM
[?] Looking for ideas on how to 'deter' grey squirrels. David Chapman UK diy 35 April 13th 05 06:09 PM
Dishwasher not spraying David Micklem UK diy 9 August 5th 03 07:39 PM