DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Loose Kitchen Tap (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/302105-loose-kitchen-tap.html)

Andrew May April 26th 10 12:06 PM

Loose Kitchen Tap

Fitted a new kitchen tap at the weekend. The type with a base that goes
into a single hole in the sink with a nut on the underside. But it came
with a rubber washer to go between the nut and the sink and however much
I tighten it there is some give and the tap has a tendency to lean when
touched. I can't see the point of a rubber washer and was wondering if
there was any reason why I should not replace it with a nylon one to try
to give a bit more stability.

Andrew

The Medway Handyman[_2_] April 26th 10 07:00 PM

Loose Kitchen Tap

Andrew May wrote:
Fitted a new kitchen tap at the weekend. The type with a base that
goes into a single hole in the sink with a nut on the underside. But
it came with a rubber washer to go between the nut and the sink and
however much I tighten it there is some give and the tap has a
tendency to lean when touched. I can't see the point of a rubber
washer and was wondering if there was any reason why I should not
replace it with a nylon one to try to give a bit more stability.

Monobloc mixers usually come with a horseshoe shaped metal plate & a
matching rubber washer. Have yiu got the metal plate? You should have this
lot
http://www.plumbers-mate-sales.co.uk...-kit-212-p.asp

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

F Murtz April 27th 10 06:32 AM

Loose Kitchen Tap

Andrew May wrote:
Fitted a new kitchen tap at the weekend. The type with a base that goes
into a single hole in the sink with a nut on the underside. But it came
with a rubber washer to go between the nut and the sink and however much
I tighten it there is some give and the tap has a tendency to lean when
touched. I can't see the point of a rubber washer and was wondering if
there was any reason why I should not replace it with a nylon one to try
to give a bit more stability.

Andrew

Are you sure the rubber washer does not go on top of sink?

Andrew May April 27th 10 09:58 AM

Loose Kitchen Tap

F Murtz wrote:
Andrew May wrote:
Fitted a new kitchen tap at the weekend. The type with a base that goes
into a single hole in the sink with a nut on the underside. But it came
with a rubber washer to go between the nut and the sink and however much
I tighten it there is some give and the tap has a tendency to lean when
touched. I can't see the point of a rubber washer and was wondering if
there was any reason why I should not replace it with a nylon one to try
to give a bit more stability.

Andrew

Are you sure the rubber washer does not go on top of sink?

Well, there are no assembly instruction but there is a groove on the
underside of the tap body and a matching O Ring which I assume goes on
the top of the sink to form a waterproof seal. Then there is a wide
thread probably about 30mm which goes through the sink and a rubber
washer and a nut which I have assumed goes on the underside.

I stand to be corrected on any of this since, as I say, there are no
instructions.

Andrew

Andrew May April 27th 10 10:43 AM

Loose Kitchen Tap

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andrew May wrote:
Fitted a new kitchen tap at the weekend. The type with a base that
goes into a single hole in the sink with a nut on the underside. But
it came with a rubber washer to go between the nut and the sink and
however much I tighten it there is some give and the tap has a
tendency to lean when touched. I can't see the point of a rubber
washer and was wondering if there was any reason why I should not
replace it with a nylon one to try to give a bit more stability.

Monobloc mixers usually come with a horseshoe shaped metal plate & a
matching rubber washer. Have yiu got the metal plate? You should have this
lot
http://www.plumbers-mate-sales.co.uk...-kit-212-p.asp

Nope. Nothing like that. The tap is one of these:

http://www.tapcentre.com/en/kitchen-...itchen-tap.php

There is a rubber O ring underneath where it sits on the sink. There is
a 30mm odd diameter threaded brass tube that screws into the underside
of the tap and then goes through the hole in the sink. Then a similar
sized rubber washer with a brass nut on top. Two 10mm tap tails screw
into the underside of the tap body and connect to the water supply.

As I tighten the nut the rubber washer compresses and stops the tap
rotating in the hole but there is enough give to make the tap wobble a
bit when turned on or off.

I have thought about replacing the rubber washer with a similar sized
nylon one but given nylon's slipperiness I am not sure that that would
not make it easier to rotate the tap, thus replacing one problem with
another.

Andrew

Dave Liquorice[_2_] April 27th 10 11:28 AM

Loose Kitchen Tap

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:43:06 +0100, Andrew May wrote:

As I tighten the nut the rubber washer compresses and stops the tap
rotating in the hole but there is enough give to make the tap wobble a
bit when turned on or off.

Sure it's not "give" in the sink top allowing the tap to wobble?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Andrew May April 27th 10 11:55 AM

Loose Kitchen Tap

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:43:06 +0100, Andrew May wrote:

As I tighten the nut the rubber washer compresses and stops the tap
rotating in the hole but there is enough give to make the tap wobble a
bit when turned on or off.

Sure it's not "give" in the sink top allowing the tap to wobble?

There is a little give in the sink but not as much as the tap moves. If
that makes sense.

Grimly Curmudgeon April 27th 10 02:19 PM

Loose Kitchen Tap

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andrew May
saying something like:

Well, there are no assembly instruction but there is a groove on the
underside of the tap body and a matching O Ring which I assume goes on
the top of the sink to form a waterproof seal. Then there is a wide
thread probably about 30mm which goes through the sink and a rubber
washer and a nut which I have assumed goes on the underside.

I stand to be corrected on any of this since, as I say, there are no
instructions.

These monoblock types are notoriously wobbly if the sink is a bit on the
thin side. You can fit a load-spreading washer underneath if clearance
allows.

The Medway Handyman[_2_] April 27th 10 09:07 PM

Loose Kitchen Tap

Andrew May wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andrew May wrote:
[...]

Never seen the like - thank heavens. Who designs this stuff?

As I tighten the nut the rubber washer compresses and stops the tap
rotating in the hole but there is enough give to make the tap wobble a
bit when turned on or off.

I have thought about replacing the rubber washer with a similar sized
nylon one but given nylon's slipperiness I am not sure that that would
not make it easier to rotate the tap, thus replacing one problem with
another.

Reckon it needs a metal plate between the sink & the washer/nut.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk