Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default spirit level bubbles - calibration marks/meanings?

Hello

Every spirit level I have owned (you know, the standard Stanley thigs a yard
long, with a vial filled with green liqwuid) has got two marks at each end
of the vial - two thin lines close together at one end, and the same at the
other.

Clearly when the bubble is centred the level is flat, but what's the
graduation of these two lines at eaither end? If the bubble touches the
inner line and then moves to touch the outer line, is it standard to be able
to say that the inner line is so many degrees away from horizontal, and the
second line is thus so many extra degrees?

DDS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:
Hello

Every spirit level I have owned (you know, the standard Stanley thigs a yard
long, with a vial filled with green liqwuid) has got two marks at each end
of the vial - two thin lines close together at one end, and the same at the
other.

Clearly when the bubble is centred the level is flat, but what's the
graduation of these two lines at eaither end? If the bubble touches the
inner line and then moves to touch the outer line, is it standard to be able
to say that the inner line is so many degrees away from horizontal, and the
second line is thus so many extra degrees?

It's down to drainage angles for gutters and other things.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:
Hello

Every spirit level I have owned (you know, the standard Stanley thigs a
yard long, with a vial filled with green liqwuid) has got two marks at
each end of the vial - two thin lines close together at one end, and the
same at the other.

Clearly when the bubble is centred the level is flat, but what's the
graduation of these two lines at eaither end? If the bubble touches the
inner line and then moves to touch the outer line, is it standard to be
able to say that the inner line is so many degrees away from horizontal,
and the second line is thus so many extra degrees?

It's down to drainage angles for gutters and other things.

Dave

Please expand - I'll be putting some guttering onto the summerhouse fairly
soon, and this sounds like useful knowledge.

Cheers

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:

Hello

Every spirit level I have owned (you know, the standard Stanley thigs a yard
long, with a vial filled with green liqwuid) has got two marks at each end
of the vial - two thin lines close together at one end, and the same at the
other.

Clearly when the bubble is centred the level is flat, but what's the
graduation of these two lines at eaither end? If the bubble touches the
inner line and then moves to touch the outer line, is it standard to be able
to say that the inner line is so many degrees away from horizontal, and the
second line is thus so many extra degrees?

I have always believed that the idea was that, when looking at
the bubble, you place your eye so that the four lines appear to
be symmetrical. This ensures that you are looking perpendicular
to the phial centreline, and thus minimise parallax error.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 21:30:00 +0100, "Duncan Di Saudelli"
wrote:

Hello

Every spirit level I have owned (you know, the standard Stanley thigs a yard
long, with a vial filled with green liqwuid) has got two marks at each end
of the vial - two thin lines close together at one end, and the same at the
other.

Clearly when the bubble is centred the level is flat, but what's the
graduation of these two lines at eaither end? If the bubble touches the
inner line and then moves to touch the outer line, is it standard to be able
to say that the inner line is so many degrees away from horizontal, and the
second line is thus so many extra degrees?

The angle to move from the centre to the end of a vial is dependent on
the curvature of the vial, think of a vial as a segment chopped out of
a large clear tubular ring.

The bubble in a small diameter ring say 1ft diameter will be much
more sensitive and move more with a small angle change than a bubble
in a large diameter ring of 10ft diameter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

...think of a vial as a segment chopped out of
a large clear tubular ring...

Modern ones seems to be straight bi-conical tube, rather than a
parallel-sided curved tube.

Mine will show a true level regardless of whether the level is sat on
its narrow face or wide face - now and again quite a useful thing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Whitworth wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:
Hello

Every spirit level I have owned (you know, the standard Stanley thigs
a yard long, with a vial filled with green liqwuid) has got two marks
at each end of the vial - two thin lines close together at one end,
and the same at the other.

Clearly when the bubble is centred the level is flat, but what's the
graduation of these two lines at eaither end? If the bubble touches
the inner line and then moves to touch the outer line, is it standard
to be able to say that the inner line is so many degrees away from
horizontal, and the second line is thus so many extra degrees?

It's down to drainage angles for gutters and other things.

Dave

Please expand - I'll be putting some guttering onto the summerhouse
fairly soon, and this sounds like useful knowledge.

Cheers

Will do when I get it confirmed tonight.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Apr, 12:28, The Other Mike
wrote:

The angle to move from the centre to the end of a vial is dependent on
the curvature of the vial, think of a vial as a segment chopped out of
a large clear tubular ring. *

The bubble in a small diameter ring say 1ft diameter *will be much
more sensitive and move more with a small angle change than a bubble
in a large diameter ring of 10ft diameter

Are you sure you have that the right way around?
For a given angular displacement the bubble in a large diameter tube
will move further than the bubble in the small diameter tube, giving
finer granularity when observing a small change. At the extreme, a
straight tube would be most accurate as any deviation from level would
send the bubble straight to the end of the vial.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other Mike brought next idea :
The bubble in a small diameter ring say 1ft diameter will be much
more sensitive and move more with a small angle change than a bubble
in a large diameter ring of 10ft diameter

T'other way round I think 8-o

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
John Whitworth wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:
[...]

Phoned my b.i.l. up an hour ago, he has been in the building trade since
he left school and has only ever seen levels with 2 lines and not 4, So
my original answer could be wrong. I'll keep asking and if I find
anything out I will post again.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 19:20:10 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

The Other Mike brought next idea :
The bubble in a small diameter ring say 1ft diameter will be much
more sensitive and move more with a small angle change than a bubble
in a large diameter ring of 10ft diameter

T'other way round I think 8-o

I knew what I meant, even though my fingers didn't

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 19 April 2010 17:39:42 UTC+1, pcb1962 wrote:
On 19 Apr, 12:28, The Other Mike
wrote:

The angle to move from the centre to the end of a vial is dependent on
the curvature of the vial, think of a vial as a segment chopped out of
a large clear tubular ring. Â*

The bubble in a small diameter ring say 1ft diameter Â*will be much
more sensitive and move more with a small angle change than a bubble
in a large diameter ring of 10ft diameter

Are you sure you have that the right way around?
For a given angular displacement the bubble in a large diameter tube
will move further than the bubble in the small diameter tube, giving
finer granularity when observing a small change. At the extreme, a
straight tube would be most accurate as any deviation from level would
send the bubble straight to the end of the vial.

yes I think you are right.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound was thinking very hard :
Not sure about the parallel with Chilcot but the description of vial geometry
is completely wrong, (proper) vial interiors are barrel shaped.

I agree with the barrel interior shape, but the net result is that the
curvature of the 'up side' will still form a segment of a circle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2017 21:27, newshound wrote:
the description of vial geometry is completely wrong, (proper) vial
interiors are barrel shaped.

I just checked. Both my levels have curved tubes.

If you are about to say "Then they aren't proper" I refer you to the No
True Scotsman fallacy.

Andy

What spirit level? dent[_2_] UK diy 14 September 19th 09 06:54 PM
Spirit Levels - was how level is level Jeff[_8_] UK diy 35 April 3rd 08 06:15 PM
Digital 'spirit' level Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 7 January 8th 08 06:29 PM
Electronnic Spirit Level (Lidl) jim UK diy 54 October 18th 07 10:29 PM
Spirit level question Mr360 Woodworking 9 July 20th 06 06:07 AM