DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   what are the odds on that happening? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/301333-what-odds-happening.html)

bof April 12th 10 07:33 PM

what are the odds on that happening?

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual
dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually
turn these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did that today
and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from different
manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds on that happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent bulbs
gone.

--

bof at bof dot me dot uk

Graham.[_2_] April 12th 10 07:38 PM

what are the odds on that happening?

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual
dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually turn these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did
that today and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from different manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds
on that happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent bulbs gone.

You should do as I do.
Wait for the zero crossing point, then switch on ;-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

bof April 12th 10 07:44 PM

what are the odds on that happening?

In message , Huge
writes
On 2010-04-12, bof wrote:

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent bulbs
gone.

Still available on eBay. I bought some for my M-I-L a few weeks ago.

Ah thanks, off there now

--

bof at bof dot me dot uk

[email protected] April 12th 10 09:20 PM

On 2010-04-12, bof wrote:

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual
dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually
turn these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did that today
and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from different
manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds on that happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent bulbs
gone.

Still available on eBay. I bought some for my M-I-L a few weeks ago.

--
* * * * * * Politicians always run out of other people's money.
* * * *email me, if you must, at huge {at} huge (dot) org dot uk]

Also available from Toolstation

mike[_7_] April 12th 10 09:50 PM

On 2010-04-12, bof wrote:

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent bulbs
gone.

Still available on eBay. I bought some for my M-I-L a few weeks ago.

Seems like a fair exchange.

Andrew Gabriel April 12th 10 10:04 PM

what are the odds on that happening?

In article ,
On 2010-04-12, bof wrote:

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual
dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually
turn these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did that today
and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from different
manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds on that happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent bulbs
gone.

Still available on eBay. I bought some for my M-I-L a few weeks ago.

They're available in many shops.
The law which banned them is apparently unenforcible.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel April 12th 10 10:09 PM

bof writes:

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual
dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually
turn these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did that today
and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from different
manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds on that happening?

Higher than you might think as they were probably not independent
events. Due to inherent inductance in the supply (cabling, and
some other devices), when the flashover arc terminates in the first
one, a voltage spike is generated which would stress the other one,
and if it was near end of life, could trigger it to fail too.
I've seen this happen too.

--
Andrew Gabriel

John April 12th 10 11:18 PM

what are the odds on that happening?

In article ,
On 2010-04-12, bof wrote:

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual
dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually
turn these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did that today
and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from different
manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds on that happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent bulbs
gone.

Still available on eBay. I bought some for my M-I-L a few weeks ago.

They're available in many shops.
The law which banned them is apparently unenforcible.

--
Andrew Gabriel

......and get into the habit of turning down the dimmer as you switch off -
then when you hit the switch to turn them on they will have a softer
(dimmed) start, or get a touch dimmer that uses soft start circuitry.

Steve Walker April 12th 10 11:26 PM

what are the odds on that happening?

In article ,
On 2010-04-12, bof wrote:

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual
dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually
turn these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did that
today and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from
different manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds on that
happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent
bulbs gone.

Still available on eBay. I bought some for my M-I-L a few weeks ago.

They're available in many shops.
The law which banned them is apparently unenforcible.

Damn, I've been hoarding them in the loft like some demented survivalist...

ARWadsworth April 12th 10 11:33 PM

what are the odds on that happening?

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
In article ,
On 2010-04-12, bof wrote:

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual
dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually
turn these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did that
today and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from
different manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds on that
happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent
bulbs gone.

Still available on eBay. I bought some for my M-I-L a few weeks ago.

They're available in many shops.
The law which banned them is apparently unenforcible.

Damn, I've been hoarding them in the loft like some demented
survivalist...

But they are no longer 10 for a quid:-)

Adam

The Medway Handyman[_2_] April 12th 10 11:33 PM

what are the odds on that happening?

Steve Walker wrote:
In article ,
On 2010-04-12, bof wrote:

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a
dual dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I
habitually turn these on by pressing both switches at the same
time; did that today and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the
bulbs are from different manufs, of different ages. So what are
the odds on that happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent
bulbs gone.

Still available on eBay. I bought some for my M-I-L a few weeks ago.

They're available in many shops.
The law which banned them is apparently unenforcible.

Damn, I've been hoarding them in the loft like some demented
survivalist...

"Broke into the goddam wrong rec room this time..."

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

spamlet April 12th 10 11:39 PM

"bof" wrote in message

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual
dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually turn
these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did that today and
both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from different manufs,
of different ages. So what are the odds on that happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent bulbs
gone.

--

bof at bof dot me dot uk

In my experience it is more likely to be both dimmers blowing than the
bulbs. I got so fed up looking for replacement dimmer internals (usually
salvaged from the end of line or 'seconds' bins or even dust bins) as not
wanting to keep buying brass surrounds all the time, that in the end I just
ripped out the dimming bit and used them as nice 'brass' push on and off
switches, with ordinary cfl lamps. No more blows since.

Bob Eager April 13th 10 12:04 AM

what are the odds on that happening?

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 23:26:41 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

In article , Huge
On 2010-04-12, bof wrote:

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual
dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually
turn these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did that
today and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from
different manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds on that
happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent
bulbs gone.

Still available on eBay. I bought some for my M-I-L a few weeks ago.

They're available in many shops.
The law which banned them is apparently unenforcible.

Damn, I've been hoarding them in the loft like some demented
survivalist...

Same here! .-)

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

[email protected] April 13th 10 12:40 AM

On 12 Apr, 23:12, Owain wrote:
On 12 Apr, 22:04, *(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Still available on eBay. I bought some for my M-I-L a few weeks ago.

They're available in many shops.
The law which banned them is apparently unenforcible.

What, Ms-i-L? * ;-)

Owain

The odds on "women of a certain age" serving is shops being Ms-i-L
must be quite high, yes.

I noticed incandescent bulbs in the local "end-of-line" shop[*] the
other day, but didn't look at the price as I have a sufficient stock.
I've now got used to fumbling my way around rooms in the gloom on
first entering and only use incandescents in places where it matters.
[*] There must be a proper name for this kind of shop -- they have a
fairly constant line of household items but augment it with once-only
supplies of cut-price things that clearly came from somewhere poaher's
closing down sale. They tend to sprout in high streets once the "real"
shops have moved into the new shopping centre.

Chris

bof April 13th 10 09:20 AM

what are the odds on that happening?

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
On 2010-04-12, bof wrote:

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual
dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually
turn these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did that today
and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from different
manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds on that happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent bulbs
gone.

Still available on eBay. I bought some for my M-I-L a few weeks ago.

They're available in many shops.
The law which banned them is apparently unenforcible.

In what way? There's a loophole, or something else?

--

bof at bof dot me dot uk

Dave Plowman (News) April 13th 10 09:59 AM

On 2010-04-12, bof wrote:

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual
dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually
turn these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did that
today and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from
different manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds on that
happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent
bulbs gone.

Still available on eBay. I bought some for my M-I-L a few weeks ago.

That would be exploding ones, then?

--
*One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Willy Eckerslyke April 13th 10 10:44 AM

bof wrote:

They're available in many shops.
The law which banned them is apparently unenforcible.

In what way? There's a loophole, or something else?

A couple. Only household ones are banned, those for "industrial use" are
still allowed. And the ban only fully effects frosted lightbulbs - clear
ones are being phased out over a longer period.

Richard Tobin April 13th 10 12:14 PM

bof wrote:
Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent bulbs
gone.

Get the 70W halogen equivalents. They're just as good (though more
expensive of course).

I see there are now 100W (150W equivalents) available.

-- Richard

bof April 13th 10 12:26 PM

what are the odds on that happening?

In message , Richard Tobin
writes
In article ,
bof wrote:
Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent bulbs
gone.

Get the 70W halogen equivalents. They're just as good (though more
expensive of course).

Ta, not seen those before, I'll give them a try when the box of 20
standard bulbs I've just ordered runs out, or maybe there'll be LEDs by
then . . .

Anyone comment on the quality of the light from the 70W halogens?

--

bof at bof dot me dot uk

®óñ© © ²°¹° April 13th 10 01:57 PM

what are the odds on that happening?

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:20:02 -0700 (PDT),

On 2010-04-12, bof wrote:

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual
dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually
turn these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did that today
and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from different
manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds on that happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent bulbs
gone.

Still available on eBay. I bought some for my M-I-L a few weeks ago.

--
* * * * * * Politicians always run out of other people's money.
* * * *email me, if you must, at huge {at} huge (dot) org dot uk]

Also available from Toolstation

Anyway, even the energy-saving bulbs will be out of date before you
can turn round.

LEDs are the future, just keep your incandescents going a bit longer.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Richard Tobin April 13th 10 03:56 PM

bof wrote:

Anyone comment on the quality of the light from the 70W halogens?

Seems much the same as from traditional bulbs to me.

-- Richard

bof April 13th 10 04:27 PM

what are the odds on that happening?

In message , Sn!pe
writes
bof wrote:

Anyone comment on the quality of the light from the 70W halogens?

They're bright point sources, subjectively a higher colour temperature
than traditional incandescents. IMO Halogens are not quite so flattering
as trad. but they're MUCH better than CFLs. I haven't yet tried them
with a dimmer.

Maybe I'll give them a go, I seem to see better at a higher colour temp

--

bof at bof dot me dot uk

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] April 13th 10 04:50 PM

®óñ© © ²°¹° wrote:

Anyway, even the energy-saving bulbs will be out of date before you
can turn round.

LEDs are the future, just keep your incandescents going a bit longer.

Nah, even LEDS will be out of date before you can turn round

Electroluminescent panels are the future..

no,....;-)

Dave April 13th 10 06:25 PM

bof wrote:

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual
dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually
turn these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did that today
and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from different
manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds on that happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent bulbs
gone.

I asked at my local electrical supplier, not many weeks ago, about how
much longer I could buy real bulbs and they told me that it would be as
long as they could order them. Coupled with this is something I picked
up last year, that industry can still buy them after they are removed
from the shed shelves.

Dave

Prai Jei[_2_] April 13th 10 09:14 PM

what are the odds on that happening?

bof set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time continuum:

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual
dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually
turn these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did that today
and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from different
manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds on that happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent bulbs
gone.

It's a conspiracy. They know you got 'em and They'll keep pumping power
glitches down the line (obviously, that's what happened to the two bulbs in
question) until your entire stock have all popped. They'll get you in the
end, They'll force you to comply.
--
ξ:) Proud to be curly

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply

Grimly Curmudgeon April 14th 10 02:20 AM

what are the odds on that happening?

drugs began to take hold. I remember Willy Eckerslyke
saying something like:

A couple. Only household ones are banned, those for "industrial use" are
still allowed.

Like 'rough service lamps'. They last for ever, too.

bof April 14th 10 09:29 AM

what are the odds on that happening?

In message , Prai Jei
writes
bof set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time continuum:

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual
dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually
turn these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did that today
and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from different
manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds on that happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent bulbs
gone.

It's a conspiracy. They know you got 'em and They'll keep pumping power
glitches down the line (obviously, that's what happened to the two bulbs in
question) until your entire stock have all popped. They'll get you in the
end, They'll force you to comply.

Ah that explains the van with the blacked out windows and the big cables
out the back, that was parked outside at the time

--

bof at bof dot me dot uk

Andrew Gabriel April 14th 10 10:49 AM

what are the odds on that happening?

In article ,
bof writes:
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
On 2010-04-12, bof wrote:

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual
dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually
turn these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did that today
and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from different
manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds on that happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent bulbs
gone.

Still available on eBay. I bought some for my M-I-L a few weeks ago.

They're available in many shops.
The law which banned them is apparently unenforcible.

In what way? There's a loophole, or something else?

A loophole. It's bloody difficult to read (amendment upon amendment),
but I'm told that if you actually put it all together, there's no
valid offence for the light bulbs part because they screwed it up.
However, IANAL.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Andy Dingley April 14th 10 10:58 AM

what are the odds on that happening?

On 13 Apr, 16:50, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Nah, even LEDS will be out of date before you can turn round

Electroluminescent panels are the future..

AMOLED

geoff April 14th 10 09:04 PM

what are the odds on that happening?

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
bof writes:
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
On 2010-04-12, bof wrote:

I have two ceiling light fittings in the living room fed from a dual
dimmer wall plate which also push for an on/off switch. I habitually
turn these on by pressing both switches at the same time; did that today
and both bulbs blew as they switched on, the bulbs are from different
manufs, of different ages. So what are the odds on that happening?

Annoyingly that's two of my dwindling supply of 100W incandescent bulbs
gone.

Still available on eBay. I bought some for my M-I-L a few weeks ago.

They're available in many shops.
The law which banned them is apparently unenforcible.

In what way? There's a loophole, or something else?

A loophole. It's bloody difficult to read (amendment upon amendment),
but I'm told that if you actually put it all together, there's no
valid offence for the light bulbs part because they screwed it up.

So that's just for ES and not bayonet connections then

--
geoff

Dave Liquorice[_2_] April 16th 10 10:26 PM

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 14:59:20 +0100, Sn!pe wrote:

Anyone comment on the quality of the light from the 70W halogens?

They're bright point sources, subjectively a higher colour temperature
than traditional incandescents. IMO Halogens are not quite so flattering
as trad. but they're MUCH better than CFLs.

Halogen is cold and harsh compared to incandescant.

I haven't yet tried them with a dimmer.

Should be OK provided you don't dim them to much or run them dimmed
for long periods. Halogens need to run hot to keep the tungsten cycle
going, if run too cold the tungsten deposits on the inside of the
envelope.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Plowman (News) April 16th 10 11:36 PM

what are the odds on that happening?

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Should be OK provided you don't dim them to much or run them dimmed
for long periods. Halogens need to run hot to keep the tungsten cycle
going, if run too cold the tungsten deposits on the inside of the
envelope.

I've read that many times - but doesn't seem to have happened here.

--
*Life is hard; then you nap

Dave Liquorice[_2_] April 20th 10 10:51 AM

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 23:36:03 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Should be OK provided you don't dim them to much or run them

dimmed
for long periods. Halogens need to run hot to keep the tungsten

cycle
going, if run too cold the tungsten deposits on the inside of the
envelope.

I've read that many times - but doesn't seem to have happened here.

I've seen halogens with a decidedly silver grey film on the inside of
the envolope. These would have been on heavyly dimmed for 12hrs day
in a studio control room though.

--
Cheers
Dave.