Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How best to connect two water barrels?

The first water barrel (A) on my allotment is at the top of a slight
slope and is fed by rain water gathered from the roof of my shed. I
want to put in a second barrel (B) in a direct line (no bends involved)
from the first barrel and down a slight slope. Both are fitted with
taps, but I would always prefer to drain the water from the lower barrel
B as it is a little more accessible. How best to connect these?

I have options to run a connection pipe from the upper barrel (A) to
the lower barrel (B) as follows:

1. Connect from top of barrel A to top of barrel B
2. Connect from top of barrel A to bottom of barrel B
3. Connect from bottom of barrel A to top of barrel B
4. Connect from bottom of barrel A to bottom of barrel B

Which would be the best option? Or maybe there are other options that I
not thought of?

Thanks for replies in advance.

Ed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 31, 6:24*pm, Ed ex@directory wrote:
[...]

all depends how much difference in ground height there is

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
o.uk...
The first water barrel (A) on my allotment is at the top of a slight
slope and is fed by rain water gathered from the roof of my shed. I want
to put in a second barrel (B) in a direct line (no bends involved) from
the first barrel and down a slight slope. Both are fitted with taps, but I
would always prefer to drain the water from the lower barrel B as it is a
little more accessible. How best to connect these?

I have options to run a connection pipe from the upper barrel (A) to the
lower barrel (B) as follows:

1. Connect from top of barrel A to top of barrel B

Top to top seems best.
As already noted it depends on the difference in heights.
If there is no difference then it may not matter (but you imply B is lower
than A).
Bottom of A to any part of B will only fill A to the top point of B.
Top to top fills both barrels to the top and also lets any sediment settle.

You could always go for more than one connection.

Connect top to top so that both barrels fill fully.
Then connect the bottom of A via a tap to anywhere on B.
This allows you to run water from A to B when B is empty without
compromising your ability to fill both barrels to the top.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:24:49 +0100, Ed wrote:

1. Connect from top of barrel A to top of barrel B
2. Connect from top of barrel A to bottom of barrel B

A will fill to the take off point for B. B will fill to it's overflow
level. A will fill first then B. When B is empty you'll have to go to
A for water.

3. Connect from bottom of barrel A to top of barrel B
4. Connect from bottom of barrel A to bottom of barrel B

A will only ever fill to the overflow level of B. If B is entirely
below A, A will never fill. You can take water from B all the time
but may have less water to start with.

I'd connect top to top as the flow into the bottom may disturb the
sediment that will accumulate or draw it into the pipe. You can also
clear the connection pipe without having to empty either barrel.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Mar, 18:24, Ed ex@directory wrote:
[...]

Obviously a new barrel is designed to hold most things it may be
required to hold. Sometimes with another barrel on top. None are
designed to hold 2 barrel load-fulls.

Nor are the taps, seals and etc.

Can you raise the 2nd barrel with a dais or something so both fill and
empty simultaneously. It's a fecking garden, don't waste time
wondering about potability.

When it's dry weather take "B" off the dais and fix pipes bottom to
bottom. You can just join the taps. Put a couple of stones in the
bottom of "A" near the exit to help filter. I presume it's too late to
raise the position of the tap of "A".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2010 18:24 Ed wrote:

Mine are on the same level and I use...
1. Connect from top of barrel A to top of barrel B

The top of barrel B then goes as an overflow to the pond to keep it
topped up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ed
writes
The first water barrel (A) on my allotment is at the top of a slight
slope and is fed by rain water gathered from the roof of my shed. I
want to put in a second barrel (B) in a direct line (no bends
involved) from the first barrel and down a slight slope. Both are
fitted with taps, but I would always prefer to drain the water from the
lower barrel B as it is a little more accessible. How best to connect
these?

I have options to run a connection pipe from the upper barrel (A) to
the lower barrel (B) as follows:

1. Connect from top of barrel A to top of barrel B
2. Connect from top of barrel A to bottom of barrel B
3. Connect from bottom of barrel A to top of barrel B
4. Connect from bottom of barrel A to bottom of barrel B

Which would be the best option? Or maybe there are other options that I
not thought of?

The alternative is connect via a siphon. which in essence is the same as
no. 4

Basically a hose pipe dangled over the top butt A until it lies on the
bottom, do the same with the other end in butt B. Once A is full, prime
the siphon (attach to tap, pour water down it, suck very hard :-) etc.)
water will flow from A to B until levels are the same. As long as
doesn't break, then the siphon will maintain the levels.

Ideally B is the same height as A as otherwise A will only fill to the
top of B, but if slop isn't to much shouldn't matter a great deal. You
can always raise B up a bit on a platform
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Simplify the whole thing by co-locating both barrels at A joined
bottom to bottom and running a long pipe from the bottom of either
barrel to point B with a tap at that point. Oh! Don't forget a local
tap in the bottom of one of the barrels at A.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Mar, 18:24, Ed ex@directory wrote:
The first water barrel (A) *on my allotment is at the top of a slight
slope and is fed by rain water gathered from the roof of my shed. * I
want to put in a *second barrel (B) in a direct line

Taps near the bottom of each. Linking pipe between both that's as low
as possible, but no closer to the bottom than 6" of either (allowing
for crud and for barrel curvature). It doesn't matter if this is
horizontal, downhill or uphill.

Wickes sell all the bits (look in gardens), cheap too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Ed
ex@directory.? writes

The first water barrel (A) on my allotment is at the top of a slight
slope and is fed by rain water gathered from the roof of my shed. I
want to put in a second barrel (B) in a direct line (no bends involved)
from the first barrel and down a slight slope.

I have done exactly that.

? Or maybe there are other options that I
not thought of?

I just took the taps out and connected the two tap holes together using
plastic solvent-weld overflow pipe (21.5mm) and the 'straight tank
connector' www.bes.ltd.uk part no. 11937. Those fitted the tap hole in
my butts perfectly.

The advantage of this is that you drain from both tanks at the same
time, preventing one becoming stagnant, and you drain from the bottom.
The water finds its own level across both butts.

Then I inserted a T-piece in the cross-pipe between the barrels and
fitted one tap to that. But as you say you would prefer to drain from
barrel B, fit the T-piece and tap there.

Worked well for me.

--
Mike Tomlinson

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
[...]

yup, connect near bottom avoiding the very bottom to stop muck blocking the
through pipe
but this only works if both barrels are same height,
or...
if different heights, and connected at bottom, the higher one will only fill
to the lower height before the lower one then spills the water.

Connection can be with a piece of hose pipe (maybe insulated) as you're not
going to have a quicker rate of flow than the tap (unless its huge of
course)
--
Vass