Old March 30th 10, 10:20 AM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Limescale Removal

Hi Guys,
I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

Cheers

John

Old March 30th 10, 10:57 AM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Hi Guys,
I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

I use DILUTE!!! Hydrochloric acid. Use rubber gloves and eye protection.
Open the window first. Chlorine gas is given off as it reacts with the
limescale. Leaves the pan as clean as a whistle. I'm not sure where you get
it in the UK, builders merchants perhaps. In France you can get it in any
supermarket.

Old March 30th 10, 11:04 AM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Hi Guys,
I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

Cheers

John

Try harpic power liquid and tablets at most good supermarkets.
Old March 30th 10, 11:15 AM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Hi Guys,
I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily
limescaled in the pan below the water line. What is the best
product/solution to remove it?

Cheers

John

limescale is alkaline, so any type of acid will remove it eventually,
depending on how thick it is.
You can try brick cleaning acid available at b&q or any bm, or one of the
proprietary cleaners, which usually don't work and are expensive

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Old March 30th 10, 12:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Hi Guys,
I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

Cheers

John

Brick acid in the bowl, and elbow grease.

Its a nasty job, because it wont be JUST limescale.

Old March 30th 10, 12:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Sarotrob wrote:
"John" wrote in message
Hi Guys,
I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

I use DILUTE!!! Hydrochloric acid. Use rubber gloves and eye protection.
Open the window first. Chlorine gas is given off as it reacts with the
limescale.

It shouldn't be.

Carbon dioxide is given off actually.

Leaves the pan as clean as a whistle. I'm not sure where you get
it in the UK, builders merchants perhaps. In France you can get it in any
supermarket.

Its called brick acid or patio cleaner.
Old March 30th 10, 12:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Sarotrob wrote:
"John" wrote in message
Hi Guys,
I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled in
the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

I use DILUTE!!! Hydrochloric acid. Use rubber gloves and eye
protection. Open the window first. Chlorine gas is given off as it
reacts with the limescale.

It shouldn't be.

Carbon dioxide is given off actually.

Leaves the pan as clean as a whistle. I'm not sure where you get
it in the UK, builders merchants perhaps. In France you can get it in
any supermarket.

Its called brick acid or patio cleaner.

Use a plunger first to flush out most of the water, then add the acid
otherwise part of the acid will go straight down the drain.
If necessary, top back up to the normal flush line with water.

Hydrochloric acid is the correct stuff as the reaction product (calcium
chloride) is soluble in water. Don't use battery acid (sulphuric) as the
product, calcium sulphate will form an insoluble layer over the rest of
the limescale and slow down the reaction considerably.

Bob
Old March 30th 10, 01:56 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 30 Mar, 10:20, "John" wrote:

* * * * * * I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. *What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

Go to Pattersons in Bristol, or your local wholesale supplier of
cleaning stuff to hotels etc. They have stuff far pokier than the
domestic retail grade.

Basically you want sulphamic acid to dissolve the scale. Hydrochloric
(brick acid, muriatic). will do this too, but is likely to develop
black crazing if the glaze was already invisibly less than perfect.
Sulphuric drain cleaner isn't much use on scale, but is useful on
blockages.

You shouldn't have any problem with heat, gas or explosions, but don't
mix cleaners or you can do.
Old March 30th 10, 02:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:25:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Chlorine gas is given off as it reacts with the limescale.

It shouldn't be.

I'd be surprised but you can get chlorine out of loo if you pee into
bleach IIRC. I wouldn't like to say what is also locked up in the
"lime scale" of a toilet pan.

Bleach is not hydrochloric acid. Its very alkaline in fact. The
chlorine smelling stuff is soemth8ng else.. I forget what.

I think I'd give the supermarket toilet lime scale removers a chance
first before bring out the heavy guns of brick acid.

they are incredibly expensive in the sort of quantities needed. They do
indeed work, but they are less effective, being designed to be safe over
chrome (mainly) and having all sorts of other attributes, like sticking
to surfaces - that are not needed in this case.

Old March 30th 10, 02:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 30 Mar, 10:20, "John" wrote:

I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

Go to Pattersons in Bristol, or your local wholesale supplier of
cleaning stuff to hotels etc. They have stuff far pokier than the
domestic retail grade.

Basically you want sulphamic acid to dissolve the scale. Hydrochloric
(brick acid, muriatic). will do this too, but is likely to develop
black crazing if the glaze was already invisibly less than perfect.

Follow up with tub of caustic, to bleach that lot out.

Sulphuric drain cleaner isn't much use on scale, but is useful on
blockages.

You shouldn't have any problem with heat, gas or explosions, but don't
mix cleaners or you can do.

Shower thermostat - Limescale ? Arthur2 UK diy 0 August 25th 07 10:08 AM
electric kettle- limescale? peter UK diy 11 February 8th 06 02:12 AM
limescale on enamel? al UK diy 0 February 8th 06 12:23 AM
Limescale Neil UK diy 5 January 24th 06 11:00 PM
Removing limescale Chris Styles UK diy 25 July 27th 05 08:55 PM