Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Limescale Removal

Hi Guys,
I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

Cheers

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Hi Guys,
I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

I use DILUTE!!! Hydrochloric acid. Use rubber gloves and eye protection.
Open the window first. Chlorine gas is given off as it reacts with the
limescale. Leaves the pan as clean as a whistle. I'm not sure where you get
it in the UK, builders merchants perhaps. In France you can get it in any
supermarket.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Hi Guys,
I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

Cheers

John

Try harpic power liquid and tablets at most good supermarkets.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Hi Guys,
I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily
limescaled in the pan below the water line. What is the best
product/solution to remove it?

Cheers

John

limescale is alkaline, so any type of acid will remove it eventually,
depending on how thick it is.
You can try brick cleaning acid available at b&q or any bm, or one of the
proprietary cleaners, which usually don't work and are expensive

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Hi Guys,
I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

Cheers

John

Brick acid in the bowl, and elbow grease.

Its a nasty job, because it wont be JUST limescale.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sarotrob wrote:
"John" wrote in message
Hi Guys,
I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

I use DILUTE!!! Hydrochloric acid. Use rubber gloves and eye protection.
Open the window first. Chlorine gas is given off as it reacts with the
limescale.

It shouldn't be.

Carbon dioxide is given off actually.

Leaves the pan as clean as a whistle. I'm not sure where you get
it in the UK, builders merchants perhaps. In France you can get it in any
supermarket.

Its called brick acid or patio cleaner.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Sarotrob wrote:
"John" wrote in message
Hi Guys,
I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled in
the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

I use DILUTE!!! Hydrochloric acid. Use rubber gloves and eye
protection. Open the window first. Chlorine gas is given off as it
reacts with the limescale.

It shouldn't be.

Carbon dioxide is given off actually.

Leaves the pan as clean as a whistle. I'm not sure where you get
it in the UK, builders merchants perhaps. In France you can get it in
any supermarket.

Its called brick acid or patio cleaner.

Use a plunger first to flush out most of the water, then add the acid
otherwise part of the acid will go straight down the drain.
If necessary, top back up to the normal flush line with water.

Hydrochloric acid is the correct stuff as the reaction product (calcium
chloride) is soluble in water. Don't use battery acid (sulphuric) as the
product, calcium sulphate will form an insoluble layer over the rest of
the limescale and slow down the reaction considerably.

Bob
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 30 Mar, 10:20, "John" wrote:

* * * * * * I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. *What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

Go to Pattersons in Bristol, or your local wholesale supplier of
cleaning stuff to hotels etc. They have stuff far pokier than the
domestic retail grade.

Basically you want sulphamic acid to dissolve the scale. Hydrochloric
(brick acid, muriatic). will do this too, but is likely to develop
black crazing if the glaze was already invisibly less than perfect.
Sulphuric drain cleaner isn't much use on scale, but is useful on
blockages.

You shouldn't have any problem with heat, gas or explosions, but don't
mix cleaners or you can do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:25:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Chlorine gas is given off as it reacts with the limescale.

It shouldn't be.

I'd be surprised but you can get chlorine out of loo if you pee into
bleach IIRC. I wouldn't like to say what is also locked up in the
"lime scale" of a toilet pan.

Bleach is not hydrochloric acid. Its very alkaline in fact. The
chlorine smelling stuff is soemth8ng else.. I forget what.

I think I'd give the supermarket toilet lime scale removers a chance
first before bring out the heavy guns of brick acid.

they are incredibly expensive in the sort of quantities needed. They do
indeed work, but they are less effective, being designed to be safe over
chrome (mainly) and having all sorts of other attributes, like sticking
to surfaces - that are not needed in this case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 30 Mar, 10:20, "John" wrote:

I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

Go to Pattersons in Bristol, or your local wholesale supplier of
cleaning stuff to hotels etc. They have stuff far pokier than the
domestic retail grade.

Basically you want sulphamic acid to dissolve the scale. Hydrochloric
(brick acid, muriatic). will do this too, but is likely to develop
black crazing if the glaze was already invisibly less than perfect.

Follow up with tub of caustic, to bleach that lot out.

Sulphuric drain cleaner isn't much use on scale, but is useful on
blockages.

You shouldn't have any problem with heat, gas or explosions, but don't
mix cleaners or you can do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:25:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Chlorine gas is given off as it reacts with the limescale.

It shouldn't be.

I'd be surprised but you can get chlorine out of loo if you pee into
bleach IIRC. I wouldn't like to say what is also locked up in the
"lime scale" of a toilet pan.

I think I'd give the supermarket toilet lime scale removers a chance
first before bring out the heavy guns of brick acid.

If you have any citric acid around it works quite well on lime scale.
Its used in brewing so is quite cheap and is a food stuff.

Just don't mix toilet cleaner (can contain hydrochloric acid like brick
acid) and bleach as you will release chlorine gas and that can kill or leave
you disabled.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 11:04:49 +0100, James Salisbury wrote:

John wrote:
Hi Guys,
I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

Cheers

John

Try harpic power liquid and tablets at most good supermarkets.

In Wilkinsons t'other day there was Harpic descaler for 97p; it hhas
hydrochloric acid in and is also quite viscous so easier to handle.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Hi Guys,
I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

Cheers

John

Try harpic power liquid and tablets at most good supermarkets.

In Wilkinsons t'other day there was Harpic descaler for 97p; it hhas
hydrochloric acid in and is also quite viscous so easier to handle.

As I said the power version has hydrochloric acid and has the nossle to
squirt round the rim. You may need the tablets to help, or bail out the
pan.. It may take several applications and a very good brush..
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Dingley writes:
On 30 Mar, 10:20, "John" wrote:
* * * * * * I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. *What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

Go to Pattersons in Bristol, or your local wholesale supplier of
cleaning stuff to hotels etc. They have stuff far pokier than the
domestic retail grade.
Basically you want sulphamic acid to dissolve the scale.

Yep - I use Furnox DS-3 which is sulphamic acid with a colour
indicator added so you can tell when it's exhausted.
Used to be available from plumbers merchants in large tubs,
but few stock it now (although they will order it in).
I get it from BES.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Andy Dingley writes:
On 30 Mar, 10:20, "John" wrote:
I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

Go to Pattersons in Bristol, or your local wholesale supplier of
cleaning stuff to hotels etc. They have stuff far pokier than the
domestic retail grade.
Basically you want sulphamic acid to dissolve the scale.

Yep - I use Furnox DS-3 which is sulphamic acid with a colour
indicator added so you can tell when it's exhausted.
Used to be available from plumbers merchants in large tubs,
but few stock it now (although they will order it in).
I get it from BES.

That's what I use, but IME milder acid works just as well. Block the
bowl with some plastic bags and fill to the brim. Tip in a couple of
small packs of citric (50gms?) from the chemist and leave overnight.
No elbow grease required. Don't go to the pub that evening
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article
,
Andy Dingley writes:
On 30 Mar, 10:20, "John" wrote:
[...]

Don't you have a sink then?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 30 Mar, 10:20, "John" wrote:
Hi Guys,
* * * * * * I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled
in the pan below the water line. *What is the best product/solution to
remove it?

Cheers

John

Maybe give the tenants a treat and buy a cheap new one?
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article
,
Andy Dingley writes:
On 30 Mar, 10:20, "John" wrote:
[...]

We have to consider the female of the species. Well, up to a point...
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

http://www.shewee.com/

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:23:44 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

leave overnight. No elbow grease required. Don't go to the pub

that
evening
Don't you have a sink then?

We have to consider the female of the species. Well, up to a point...

http://www.shewee.com/

Says it banishes bare bottoms. Can't sanction that I'm afraid

Shower thermostat - Limescale ? Arthur2 UK diy 0 August 25th 07 10:08 AM
electric kettle- limescale? peter UK diy 11 February 8th 06 02:12 AM
limescale on enamel? al UK diy 0 February 8th 06 12:23 AM
Limescale Neil UK diy 5 January 24th 06 11:00 PM
Removing limescale Chris Styles UK diy 25 July 27th 05 08:55 PM