Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Towbars and approval?

Seeing a lot of towbars that fit the car on Ebay, is it necessary to have
'em professionally fitted (will insurers, the DoT etc. insist on it) or is
it something a competent DIY mechanic can do given the correct fittings /
big drill / crushtubes for the chassis members?

Dave H.
--
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

"Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men" -
Douglas Bader

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave H." gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

Seeing a lot of towbars that fit the car on Ebay, is it necessary to
have 'em professionally fitted (will insurers, the DoT etc. insist on
it) or is it something a competent DIY mechanic can do given the correct
fittings / big drill / crushtubes for the chassis members?

How new's the car? If it's post-98, they need to have EC approval for the
car, which needs them to use the manufacturer's install points - so very
little drilling etc. Multiplexed electrics on newer cars will mean wiring
probably needs a specific kit, too.

There's no requirement to have 'em pro-fitted, even on a brand spankin'
car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes
"Dave H." gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

Seeing a lot of towbars that fit the car on Ebay, is it necessary to
have 'em professionally fitted (will insurers, the DoT etc. insist on
it) or is it something a competent DIY mechanic can do given the correct
fittings / big drill / crushtubes for the chassis members?

How new's the car? If it's post-98, they need to have EC approval for the
car, which needs them to use the manufacturer's install points - so very
little drilling etc. Multiplexed electrics on newer cars will mean wiring
probably needs a specific kit, too.

There's no requirement to have 'em pro-fitted, even on a brand spankin'
car.

Yup, just fitted one to our 2000 Mondeo. Used a new Witter towbar

It was an easy enough job as such things go. A couple of the spacers
that go inside the chassis members we a bit of a tight fit -I had to
tediously file one down a bit and could on;ly find a smallish fine-ish
file. And access on one side was awkward cos of the exhaust pipe so
tightening up was a fiddle.

Take care of you buy a second hand bar off of Ebay that it has all the
bolts etc., or that you know what they are and can source them OK.
Witter state that they won't supply replacement bolts etc. Other makes
might do the same.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote in message
Snip
Witter state that they won't supply replacement bolts etc.

Really? Where did you see that?
http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/towb...bolt_kits.aspx

--
Regards,

"The car in front is a Toyota",
aren't you glad it's in front?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Him & Her
writes
chris French wrote in message
k...
Snip
Witter state that they won't supply replacement bolts etc.

Really? Where did you see that?
http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/towb...bolt_kits.aspx

Ummm..., ahhh......

Well I could have sworn I read something about that on the Witter site.
but it appears I didn't. :-)

I certainly read something about someone not supplying replacement
bolts, but I'm not sure where anymore. I'd browsed a number of site
whilst shopping for the new towbar.

Sorry for the mis-information.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave H." writes:

Seeing a lot of towbars that fit the car on Ebay, is it necessary to have
'em professionally fitted (will insurers, the DoT etc. insist on it) or is
it something a competent DIY mechanic can do given the correct fittings /
big drill / crushtubes for the chassis members?

A friend of mine is a Volkswagen mastertech, and recently posted photos
of a horror story of a tow bar fitting that he'd been asked to put
right. The customer had thought that the dealership quote was far too
much, so had gone to a backstreet electrician. Of course it cost far far
more in the end.

Quoting the captions from the photos:

| un-fused wire from positive battery! running through holes in moving
| rear suspension

| live wire on exhaust

| [wire tucked under] heat shield like a razor

| [wire dangling under chassis] not much use for off roading

| birds nest & scotch locks

| live wire with bare bit was taped to body!

| wires to towbar exit via one way vent designed to keep water out - now
| jammed open

Recent VWs use a single wire for brake and side lights, and pulse width
modulate the voltage to adjust the brightness.

--
I'm looking for a job. CV at http://www.wylie.me.uk/static/cv.html
Unix/Linux/C/Internet/embedded and lots more. UK:Bradford/Manchester

Alan J. Wylie http://www.wylie.me.uk/