Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Light switch Neon

I have just wired a couple of lamps in my loft over the garage. I have
taken the power from from a redundant power plug on the ceiling that
was put there for an electric garage door. I used a switch ( Marbo 20A
DP ) with a neon in the hope that this would glow when the loft lights
were on. it doesn't. The switch is located next to the power plug..

From reading I gather that neons dont glow in a single wire circuit ,
given the proximity of the power source would it possible to pass both
sides of the circuit through the two paths of the switch to achieve
a glowing neon.

Parts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I have just wired a couple of lamps in my loft over the garage. I have
taken the power from from a redundant power plug on the ceiling that
was put there for an electric garage door. I used a switch ( Marbo 20A
DP ) with a neon in the hope that this would glow when the loft lights
were on. it doesn't. The switch is located next to the power plug..

From reading I gather that neons dont glow in a single wire circuit ,
given the proximity of the power source would it possible to pass both
sides of the circuit through the two paths of the switch to achieve
a glowing neon.

Parts

I would guess that despite you using a DP switch you have only used one
pole, the reason that the neon is not glowing is that it is wired between
the L and N on the switched side and you are probably lacking the neutral.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

Someone is capitalising on the idea:

http://www.litswitch.com/about/

ooh I do like those..
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You used to be able to buy surround plates that fitted behind the switch and
incorporated a neon or an electroluminescent panel.

Standard MK part:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK3041.html

IIRC, other manufacturers too.