DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Self tapping screw hole (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/298852-self-tapping-screw-hole.html)

Grumps[_2_] February 27th 10 11:47 AM

Self tapping screw hole

Hi

I have a need to screw into some sheets of acrylic. I have some 1/2" #6
screws. I believe this is 3.5mm in metric speak. But is that the hole size I
have to drill?
Ta.

Usenet Nutter February 27th 10 12:30 PM

Self tapping screw hole

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:47:14 -0000, "Grumps"
wrote:

Hi

I have a need to screw into some sheets of acrylic. I have some 1/2" #6
screws. I believe this is 3.5mm in metric speak. But is that the hole size I
have to drill?
Ta.

Dunno what the right answer is but make sure you choose carefully
otherwise you'll get the dreaded "Spider Web" result

F Murtz February 27th 10 12:35 PM

Self tapping screw hole

Grumps wrote:
Hi

I have a need to screw into some sheets of acrylic. I have some 1/2" #6
screws. I believe this is 3.5mm in metric speak. But is that the hole size I
have to drill?
Ta.

Acrylic is very brittle and you should tap the holes for metal thread
screws. May be 5/32" whitworth use 1/8" drill or metric equivalent.

Dave Plowman (News) February 27th 10 12:55 PM

Self tapping screw hole

In article ,
Grumps wrote:
Hi

I have a need to screw into some sheets of acrylic. I have some 1/2" #6
screws. I believe this is 3.5mm in metric speak. But is that the hole
size I have to drill? Ta.

Best way is to measure the shank of the screw. That is near enough the
tapping size. Or the outside diameter of the tread and use a drill 1mm
smaller at this sort of size.

--
*7up is good for you, signed snow white*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] February 27th 10 01:16 PM

Self tapping screw hole

wrote:

Hi

I have a need to screw into some sheets of acrylic. I have some 1/2" #6
screws. I believe this is 3.5mm in metric speak. But is that the hole size I
have to drill?
Ta.

Dunno what the right answer is but make sure you choose carefully
otherwise you'll get the dreaded "Spider Web" result

test on scrap.

acrylic is quite decent to tap. so a drill slightly bigger than the
inner shank, but smaller than the exterior thread diameter, is indicated.

ransley February 27th 10 01:58 PM

Self tapping screw hole

On Feb 27, 5:47*am, "Grumps" wrote:
Hi

I have a need to screw into some sheets of acrylic. I have some 1/2" #6
screws. I believe this is 3.5mm in metric speak. But is that the hole size I
have to drill?
Ta.

Drill the hole larger so the screw slips right through, use a washer
to take the torque not the screw. Use a new bit and the fastest drill
you have and dont use any force or it will crack, thin plexiglass is
the worst , easiest to crack, 1/8" can easily crack if drilling near
an edge, 1/4" isnt so bad, an old bit and slow drill can catch and
break the plexiglass easily, battery powered drills dont go as fast as
high speed electric drills, I just ruined a bunch of 1/8" plexiglass-
acrilic drilling. When you screw it dont do it real tight, I use a
foam weatherstrip for the seal and only tighten till I see it compress
a bit. That stuff gets expensive when you break it.

Grumps[_2_] February 28th 10 08:56 AM

Self tapping screw hole

"F Murtz" wrote in message
Grumps wrote:
Hi

I have a need to screw into some sheets of acrylic. I have some 1/2" #6
screws. I believe this is 3.5mm in metric speak. But is that the hole
size I
have to drill?
Ta.

Acrylic is very brittle and you should tap the holes for metal thread
screws. May be 5/32" whitworth use 1/8" drill or metric equivalent.

Thanks to all for your comments.

I think I'll tap it instead of using a self tapping screw.
Is there a guide/table that gives dimensions of drilled hole for use with
particular screw sizes?
I'll probably use an M3 screw in this application.

Dave Plowman (News) February 28th 10 10:58 AM

Self tapping screw hole

In article ,

#6 screws. I believe this is 3.5mm in metric speak. But is that the
hole size I have to drill? Ta.

Acrylic is very brittle and you should tap the holes for metal thread
screws. May be 5/32" whitworth use 1/8" drill or metric equivalent.

Thanks to all for your comments.

I think I'll tap it instead of using a self tapping screw. Is there a
guide/table that gives dimensions of drilled hole for use with
particular screw sizes? I'll probably use an M3 screw in this
application.

Lucky size. The tapping drill for that is 2.5mm.

--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

[email protected] April 10th 18 06:05 PM

Self tapping screw hole

https://www.fastenere.com/collection...t-metal-screws

The Other John[_3_] April 10th 18 07:47 PM

Self tapping screw hole

wrote:

On Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 6:47:14 AM UTC-5, Grumps wrote:

He's probably given up or died waiting for your reply!

--
TOJ

[email protected] April 10th 18 07:55 PM

Self tapping screw hole

On Tuesday, 10 April 2018 19:47:22 UTC+1, The Other John wrote:
wrote:

On Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 6:47:14 AM UTC-5, Grumps wrote:

He's probably given up or died waiting for your reply!

If she's spamming people that posted 8 years ago the business must be pretty desperate.

Brian Gaff April 11th 18 07:59 AM

Self tapping screw hole

2010?
Is there a time machine about again?