DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   PVC door - hinge pin rising (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/297646-pvc-door-hinge-pin-rising.html)

David J February 5th 10 04:08 PM

PVC door - hinge pin rising

A friend has a PVC exterior door in the kitchen, on which the upper
hinge centre pin has a habit of rising from the hinge, which is the
top of three such fittings. When it first occurred, the door lock was
refusing to engage, and I rectified the problem by tapping home this
offending pin. That then aligned the door correctly. I did notice that
it has lost its plastic top seal, but assume that to be a dust cover.

Since then this pin has needed attention about once a month. Should
there be a circlip at the bottom to hold the pin in place? And why
would it tend to rise, defying gravity?

DJ

sm_jamieson February 5th 10 04:25 PM

PVC door - hinge pin rising

On 5 Feb, 16:08, David J wrote:
A friend has a PVC exterior door in the kitchen, on which the upper
hinge centre pin has a habit of rising from the hinge, which is the
top of three such fittings. When it first occurred, the door lock was
refusing to engage, and I rectified the problem by tapping home this
offending pin. That then aligned the door correctly. I did notice that
it has lost its plastic top seal, but assume that to be a dust cover.

Since then this pin has needed attention about once a month. Should
there be a circlip at the bottom to hold the pin in place? *And why
would it tend to rise, defying gravity?

DJ

The offending hinge is probably slightly off-centre, such that there
is a slight twisting / cam type of action that causes it to rise.
I've just fitted a PVC french door, and there is little grub screws
that take an allen key to hold the hinges down.
Otherwise, replace the cap and glue it down ? I probably won't take
much to hold it down, since it will be moving up very slowly.
Simon.