Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default making new copper look aged green

How do you get new copper to look naturaly aged green and stable,
Verdigris. I have used acids Hydrochloric, Hydroflouric, and find the
Verdigris is a top layer and sometimes bluer or darker green than
naturaly aged copper.

I have found Toilet bowl cleaner that has Hydrochloric acid is great
on old black copper gutters that wont fully turn green, as its already
buffered and gelled so it stays wet and doesnt drip on you as you
brush it on, and safer to use.

I have fumed copper in a heated tub but the results are darker and
more green than natural aging and the finish flakes off. I have heard
to sand and or heat the copper with a propane torch and that even Pee
is great, this I willl try next. There is a process to make copper
green and stable but I dont know it. Revere copper does it. Im on the
other side of the pond so excuse my terminology, this week will be
back to 0f degree, a bit cold.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Jan, 01:04, ransley wrote:
* How do you get new copper to look naturaly aged green and stable,

You find a copy of "The Colouring, Bronzing, and Patination of Metals"
and then spend ages studying it.

Copper goes either brown(ish) or green(ish) with most reagents (so buy
some nitrate-based stuff). Much depends on the copper alloy, the
reagent (obviously) and the process (time / temperature / agitation)
you use to apply it. Getting nice colours is one thing, getting
consistent results, stable results or predictable results is quite
another. Japanese work uses the same reagent repeatedly and varies the
alloy instead. This is allegedly an easier route to reliable
consistency (although some of their alloys are arsenical and quite
toxic).

Avoid chlorides. That's not patina, it's corrosion - and it's very far
from stable or robust.

For simple results, buy a commercial bottle of Green Goop or Brown
Goop. You'll get better results than anything short of serious
investment in materials and techniques.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 25, 7:39*pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 26 Jan, 01:04, ransley wrote:

[...]

Nitrate base, do you mean plant fertilizer. Green Goop, Brown Goop,
what is in the products, I never heard of them in the US, I will try
google on the goop.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 17:04:01 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

How do you get new copper to look naturaly aged green and stable,
Verdigris. I have used acids Hydrochloric, Hydroflouric, and find the
Verdigris is a top layer and sometimes bluer or darker green than
naturaly aged copper.

You might somthing of interest he

http://asuwlink.uwyo.edu/~metal/patinas.html

I've also tried fuming the copper in amonnia.
--
Nige Danton
email: swop the obvious for g_m_a_i_l

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:30:50 +0700, Nige Danton
wrote:

Also maybe search rec.crafts.metalworking for more ideas and tips.
--
Nige Danton
email: swop the obvious for g_m_a_i_l

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Jan, 05:30, Nige Danton wrote:

I've also tried fuming the copper in amonnia.

Ammonia fuming is great, but it tends to give a mild "antique" patina,
rather than a deliberate verdigris. Works very well on brass. Didn't
we discuss that recently? The trick is to keep the metal out of the
liquid ammonia, otherwise it develops splotches. The usual method is a
big Tupperware box, with ammonia in the bottom, then a layer of wood
shavings, with the metal above.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Jan, 01:47, ransley wrote:

Nitrate base, do you mean plant fertilizer.

No, I generally mean ferric nitrate, the base for a great many
patination recipes. Also nitric acid.

You're unlikely to get far "trying out brews with plant fertiliser".
In particular you'll find yourself with a weak mixture that acts very
slowly. This is a bad thing. In particular, you might think it looks
good but the stuff is so slow acting you don't realise it's still
working - a week later it has turned to ugly crud. This is
particularly a problem with chlorides. Washing and cleaning
afterwards, maybe even deliberate neutralising, can be as important as
the patination itself.

This looks like a decent online starting point
http://www.sciencecompany.com/patina...naformulas.htm

Then of course there's Ganoksin for serious metalsmithing.
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...a-formulas.htm

Green Goop, Brown Goop what is in the products,

No idea. Many chemicals used in metal finishing (especially plating)
are obscure and difficult to find, then only used in small doses. It's
too awkward to buy your own, so you're better buying a ready-mixed
patination fluid. This still applies, even if you're an industrial
chemist (unless you can sneak through a 40 gallon drum of something
that you only need a teaspoon of).

Find your local finishing supplies people (Rustin or Liberon in the
UK) and check their catalogues. It does work better if you buy the
ready-mixed potions, then follow the recipes carefully.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

I have experience of this although unintentionally. I once kept a bottle of
concentrated hydrochloric acid under the kitchen sink. Over time, the cap
of the bottle degraded allowing hydrogen chloride gas to escape from the
bottle (the acid is basically this gas dissolved in water). All the copper
piping went green (copper chloride).

I suggest you get some concentrated hycrochloric acid (available from Robert
Dyas - sold as drain cleaner) and leave the copper item in a small chamber
with an open container of hydrochloric acid for a few days.

Warning: The gas is very harmful to your lungs and other moist membranes so
make sure you do this somewhere safe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Got any cow-pats nearby?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from ransley contains these words:

How do you get new copper to look naturaly aged green and stable,

Horse urine was the traditional material used in Eastern Canada where
there were and are a lot of copper roofs in the Montréal - Ottawa area.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This looks like a decent online starting pointhttp://www.sciencecompany.com/patinas/patinaformulas.htm

Then of course there's Ganoksin for serious metalsmithing.http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...a-formulas.htm

Green Goop, Brown Goop what is in the products,

No idea. Many chemicals used in metal finishing (especially plating)
are obscure and difficult to find, then only used in small doses. It's
too awkward to buy your own, so you're better buying a ready-mixed
patination fluid. This still applies, even if you're an industrial
chemist (unless you can sneak through a 40 gallon drum of something
that you only need a teaspoon of).

Find your local finishing supplies people (Rustin or Liberon in the
UK) and check their catalogues. It does work better if you buy the
ready-mixed potions, then follow the recipes carefully.

Thanks, Ganoskin has procedures listed I was not even aware of, the
pre cleaning. I thought dirty was better. This is more an art form and
experiment than anything.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ransley wrote:
How do you get new copper to look naturaly aged green and stable,
Verdigris. I have used acids Hydrochloric, Hydroflouric, and find the
Verdigris is a top layer and sometimes bluer or darker green than
naturaly aged copper.

snip

I understand that urine works quite well. I heard a tale once -
possibly apocryphal - of a university piping the urinals from the gents
onto a copper dome...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/26/2010 4:33 PM, Appin wrote:
The
from contains these words:

How do you get new copper to look naturaly aged green and stable,

Horse urine was the traditional material used in Eastern Canada where
there were and are a lot of copper roofs in the Montréal - Ottawa area.

An architect I used to know, claimed that the roofers were encouraged to
pee on the copper roof...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appin wrote:
The message
from ransley contains these words:

How do you get new copper to look naturaly aged green and stable,

Horse urine was the traditional material used in Eastern Canada where
there were and are a lot of copper roofs in the Montréal - Ottawa area.

How do you get the horse onto the roof?
wait for xmas and reindeer?
[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 26/01/2010 22:50, S Viemeister wrote:
On 1/26/2010 4:33 PM, Appin wrote:
The

from contains these words:

How do you get new copper to look naturaly aged green and stable,

Horse urine was the traditional material used in Eastern Canada where
there were and are a lot of copper roofs in the Montréal - Ottawa area.

An architect I used to know, claimed that the roofers were encouraged to
pee on the copper roof...

Easier than getting the horses to do so.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod
writes
On 26/01/2010 22:50, S Viemeister wrote:
On 1/26/2010 4:33 PM, Appin wrote:
The

from contains these words:

How do you get new copper to look naturaly aged green and stable,

Horse urine was the traditional material used in Eastern Canada where
there were and are a lot of copper roofs in the Montréal - Ottawa area.

An architect I used to know, claimed that the roofers were encouraged to
pee on the copper roof...

Easier than getting the horses to do so.

I dunno

once you got them on the roof, of course ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 26, 3:47*pm, Andy Champ wrote:
ransley wrote:
* How do you get new copper to look naturaly aged green and stable,
Verdigris. I have used acids Hydrochloric, Hydroflouric, and find the
Verdigris is a top layer and sometimes bluer or darker green than
naturaly aged copper.

snip

I understand that urine works quite well. *I heard a tale once -
possibly apocryphal - of a university piping the urinals from the gents
onto a copper dome...

Andy

Andy Warhol did some works in 1978 where he peed on paintings done in
copper paint, they turned green.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:50:03 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

An architect I used to know, claimed that the roofers were encouraged to
pee on the copper roof...

Here copper won't go green anymore, it stays brown. An architect explained to me
it's the lack of sulphur compounds in the air. Used to be the sulphur in coal
used for heating (and ISTR heating oil and diesel is now low-sulphur) caused the
green -- along with acid rain...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

An architect I used to know, claimed that the roofers were encouraged to
pee on the copper roof...

Here copper won't go green anymore, it stays brown. An architect explained to me
it's the lack of sulphur compounds in the air. Used to be the sulphur in coal
used for heating (and ISTR heating oil and diesel is now low-sulphur) caused the
green -- along with acid rain...

That explains it - the architect who told me that, worked in Edinburgh
in the 1960s - _lots_ of coal in the air.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

An architect I used to know, claimed that the roofers were encouraged to
pee on the copper roof...

Here copper won't go green anymore, it stays brown. An architect
explained to me
it's the lack of sulphur compounds in the air. Used to be the sulphur in
coal
used for heating (and ISTR heating oil and diesel is now low-sulphur)
caused the
green -- along with acid rain...

That explains it - the architect who told me that, worked in Edinburgh in
the 1960s - _lots_ of coal in the air.

Google for ' liver of sulphur '

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

An architect I used to know, claimed that the roofers were
encouraged to pee on the copper roof...

Here copper won't go green anymore, it stays brown. An architect
explained to me it's the lack of sulphur compounds in the air. Used
to be the sulphur in coal used for heating (and ISTR heating oil and
diesel is now low-sulphur) caused the green -- along with acid rain...

I'm staggered that it took so long in the thread to come to this reply.

T'was bleedin obvious to me, though I do have a chemistry degree and have
been involved in environmental pollution issues for many years.

Psst! Anyone got a can of tributyltin they don't want? I just want to keep
the barnacles off the bottom of the boat!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

An architect I used to know, claimed that the roofers were
encouraged to pee on the copper roof...

Here copper won't go green anymore, it stays brown. An architect
explained to me it's the lack of sulphur compounds in the air. Used
to be the sulphur in coal used for heating (and ISTR heating oil and
diesel is now low-sulphur) caused the green -- along with acid rain...

I'm staggered that it took so long in the thread to come to this reply.

T'was bleedin obvious to me, though I do have a chemistry degree and have
been involved in environmental pollution issues for many years.

Psst! Anyone got a can of tributyltin they don't want? I just want to keep
the barnacles off the bottom of the boat!

The easiest way is to keep the boat out of the water. Coincidentally
this also means that you don't waste money on mooring fees, or harbour
fees, or diesel. No sea sickness, torn sails, worn out engine,
blocked toilet. Much reduced insurance fees are also a bonus.

Green Patina on Copper. ransley Home Repair 6 May 23rd 09 07:50 PM
Underground Copper Wire Green? John Grabowski Home Repair 0 September 2nd 08 05:39 PM
Green copper pipe rot. R D S UK diy 12 August 30th 07 10:37 PM
Green Copper Mike Dobony Home Repair 24 December 19th 06 12:39 AM
Green deposit on copper pipe at fittings marbles UK diy 6 July 2nd 06 02:02 AM