DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gluing Silicone Rubber to steel (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/296491-gluing-silicone-rubber-steel.html)

robgraham January 20th 10 11:39 AM

Gluing Silicone Rubber to steel

Some time back I replaced the door seals on the hard top roof for my
wife's Mazda sports car.

One of them wasn't really a satisfactory fit and I tacked into place
with some glue - looks now like it was clear silicone but I don't know
if it was an adhesive or just sealant. Anyway that side has come away
- the glue has stuck to both surfaces but has failed to hold, possibly
the join line was just too wide.

Any suggestions for a more successful solution please - and I believe
there is something that will help to take the existing off ?

Thanks
Rob

slider January 20th 10 12:21 PM

"robgraham" wrote in message
......top roof for my wife's Mazda sports car.

What's one of those then. Do you mean an MX-5?

Andy Dingley January 20th 10 01:41 PM

On 20 Jan, 11:39, robgraham wrote:

Any suggestions for a more successful solution please

Sikaflex polyurethane. Boat chandler? Nearly a tenner a tube and
doesn't store once opened, but it does the business for this. Also
holds aluminium body panels onto steel subframe vehicles, like my
Rangie.

JimK[_2_] January 20th 10 04:29 PM

On Jan 20, 1:41 pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 20 Jan, 11:39, robgraham wrote:

Any suggestions for a more successful solution please

Sikaflex polyurethane. Boat chandler? Nearly a tenner a tube and
doesn't store once opened, but it does the business for this. Also
holds aluminium body panels onto steel subframe vehicles, like my
Rangie.

also holds/seals my conservatory timber sections together *very* well

Tis feckin sticky stuff but IME excesses can be cleaned off with Armor
All Orange Oil car wipes like

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=553995

I expect there are other possibilities but those worked really well
and smelt nice and nice on the hands etc

cheers

JimK

Grimly Curmudgeon January 23rd 10 09:28 PM

Gluing Silicone Rubber to steel

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Dingley
saying something like:

On 20 Jan, 11:39, robgraham wrote:

Any suggestions for a more successful solution please

Sikaflex polyurethane. Boat chandler? Nearly a tenner a tube and
doesn't store once opened, but it does the business for this. Also
holds aluminium body panels onto steel subframe vehicles, like my
Rangie.

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-304-adhesive.aspx

They often have it, but not listed.

robgraham January 23rd 10 10:23 PM

Gluing Silicone Rubber to steel

On 23 Jan, 21:28, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Dingley
saying something like:

On 20 Jan, 11:39, robgraham wrote:

Any suggestions for a more successful solution please

Sikaflex polyurethane. Boat chandler? *Nearly a tenner a tube and
doesn't store once opened, but it does the business for this. Also
holds aluminium body panels onto steel subframe vehicles, like my
Rangie.

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-304-adhesive.aspx

They often have it, but not listed.

Thanks GC - now that you've pointed me in the right direction, I
remember that there is a guy not that far away who does refurbishment
of older vehicles and I'll pop in and see him.

Rob