DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   White induction hob on white marble/granite? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/296031-white-induction-hob-white-marble-granite.html)

Jason January 12th 10 10:04 PM

White induction hob on white marble/granite?

My better half is convinced this will look good. I'm not so sure.

Can such a combination look good? We are thinking dark cherry units.

I am really not convinced about the white hob though. It is black all the way
for me, but perhaps I can be convinced otherwise?

-- JJ

mark January 12th 10 10:17 PM

"Jason" wrote in message
My better half is convinced this will look good. I'm not so sure.

Can such a combination look good? We are thinking dark cherry units.

I am really not convinced about the white hob though. It is black all the
way
for me, but perhaps I can be convinced otherwise?

-- JJ

Marble isn't a normal worktop surface as it stains and is dissolved by acids
such as vinegar, orange juice etc.
Also marble isn't that hard relative to granite so likely to chip and
scratch.

mark

Jason January 12th 10 10:29 PM

mark wrote:
"Jason" wrote in message
My better half is convinced this will look good. I'm not so sure.

Can such a combination look good? We are thinking dark cherry units.

I am really not convinced about the white hob though. It is black all the
way
for me, but perhaps I can be convinced otherwise?

-- JJ

Marble isn't a normal worktop surface as it stains and is dissolved by acids
such as vinegar, orange juice etc.
Also marble isn't that hard relative to granite so likely to chip and
scratch.

Maybe granite then, or even some plastic-over-chipboard stuff (can't remember
any of the brand names).

-- JJ

Clive George January 12th 10 11:14 PM

"Jason" wrote in message
My better half is convinced this will look good. I'm not so sure.

Can such a combination look good? We are thinking dark cherry units.

I am really not convinced about the white hob though. It is black all the
way
for me, but perhaps I can be convinced otherwise?

It'll be appalling unless you're prepared to keep it utterly clean and
shiny - and it'll still look naff even then.

(my wife has just suggested getting a spaghetti sauce coloured hob...)

geoff January 13th 10 01:23 AM

White induction hob on white marble/granite?

In message , Jason
writes
My better half is convinced this will look good. I'm not so sure.

Can such a combination look good? We are thinking dark cherry units.

I am really not convinced about the white hob though. It is black all the way
for me, but perhaps I can be convinced otherwise?

Nah - go for girly pink then you can both agree its horrid

--
geoff

S Viemeister[_2_] January 13th 10 02:44 AM

Jason wrote:
My better half is convinced this will look good. I'm not so sure.

Can such a combination look good? We are thinking dark cherry units.

I am really not convinced about the white hob though. It is black all the way
for me, but perhaps I can be convinced otherwise?

It's only a good idea, if neither of you intends to do any cooking.
Marble stains easily, and burnt-on spills on a white hob look dreadful.
That's why, when I got rid of my white one, its replacement was black.

Jim[_38_] January 13th 10 12:48 PM

Clive George wrote:
It'll be appalling unless you're prepared to keep it utterly clean and
shiny - and it'll still look naff even then.

(my wife has just suggested getting a spaghetti sauce coloured hob...)

A friend of mine rented a house last year which had a brand new kitchen
with a marble worksurface which was a horrendous off white colour with
reddy brown spots.

It really was difficult to see where it was clean and where it was
covered in, say, a splodge of spilt curry sauce.

I couldn't decide whether it was eminently practical or not!

Jason January 13th 10 08:13 PM

White induction hob on white marble/granite?

geoff wrote:
In message , Jason
writes
My better half is convinced this will look good. I'm not so sure.

Can such a combination look good? We are thinking dark cherry units.

I am really not convinced about the white hob though. It is black all
the way
for me, but perhaps I can be convinced otherwise?

Nah - go for girly pink then you can both agree its horrid

Don't joke about stuff like that, in case it gives her ideas.

Jason January 13th 10 08:14 PM

S Viemeister wrote:
Jason wrote:
My better half is convinced this will look good. I'm not so sure.

Can such a combination look good? We are thinking dark cherry units.

I am really not convinced about the white hob though. It is black all
the way
for me, but perhaps I can be convinced otherwise?

It's only a good idea, if neither of you intends to do any cooking.
Marble stains easily, and burnt-on spills on a white hob look dreadful.
That's why, when I got rid of my white one, its replacement was black.

Thank you all. I just have to put the good fight now and we should be sorted.

-- Jason

Rod January 13th 10 08:50 PM

White induction hob on white marble/granite?

On 13/01/2010 01:23, geoff wrote:
In message , Jason
writes
My better half is convinced this will look good. I'm not so sure.

Can such a combination look good? We are thinking dark cherry units.

I am really not convinced about the white hob though. It is black all
the way
for me, but perhaps I can be convinced otherwise?

Nah - go for girly pink then you can both agree its horrid

Nah - pink is for boys and blue for girls. QI last week. :-)

--
Rod

geoff January 14th 10 12:21 AM

White induction hob on white marble/granite?

In message , Rod
writes
On 13/01/2010 01:23, geoff wrote:
In message , Jason
writes
My better half is convinced this will look good. I'm not so sure.

Can such a combination look good? We are thinking dark cherry units.

I am really not convinced about the white hob though. It is black all
the way
for me, but perhaps I can be convinced otherwise?

Nah - go for girly pink then you can both agree its horrid

Nah - pink is for boys and blue for girls. QI last week. :-)

OK MANLY pink, then ...

--
geoff