DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Flat Roof & Adding Value (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/2955-flat-roof-adding-value.html)

MrHappyChap October 24th 03 12:14 AM

Flat Roof & Adding Value

If a terraced house (in an area popular with first time buyers) has a
kitchen extension with a flat roof, would the construction of a
"regular" roof usually add value to the house?

i.e. add more to the value of the property than the cost of
constructing the roof

Anyone have any opinions?

Andy Hall October 24th 03 12:33 AM

Flat Roof & Adding Value

On 23 Oct 2003 16:14:27 -0700,
(MrHappyChap) wrote:

If a terraced house (in an area popular with first time buyers) has a
kitchen extension with a flat roof, would the construction of a
"regular" roof usually add value to the house?

i.e. add more to the value of the property than the cost of
constructing the roof

Anyone have any opinions?

I can't see why it would. The more likely scenario is that it would
detract from the value if the flat roof were in a poor state of
repair.

Is the kitchen extension of relatively recent construction with a
felted roof? Is it possible that the foundations and construction
are adequate for a room to built on it at first floor level?

This would need building regulations approval and probably planning
permission, but if the potential is there it could be a selling point
but probably not lead to a higher price.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

BigWallop October 24th 03 02:23 AM

Flat Roof & Adding Value

"MrHappyChap" wrote in message
om...
If a terraced house (in an area popular with first time buyers) has a
kitchen extension with a flat roof, would the construction of a
"regular" roof usually add value to the house?

i.e. add more to the value of the property than the cost of
constructing the roof

Anyone have any opinions?

First time buyers don't really look at the roof construction I find.
They're more likely to look at a second loo or beautiful kitchen and living
room before asking about the roof. However, a surveyor will want to look
more closely at the type and construction of any extensions or other add
ons.

If you did put a different roof on top, wouldn't it effect the upstairs
windows ?

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Duncan Lees October 24th 03 11:41 AM

Flat Roof & Adding Value

MrHappyChap wrote:
If a terraced house (in an area popular with first time buyers) has a
kitchen extension with a flat roof, would the construction of a
"regular" roof usually add value to the house?

i.e. add more to the value of the property than the cost of
constructing the roof

Anyone have any opinions?

You wouldn't be adding a new facility that the property needs. I doubt
an estate agent would value the house any higher, and it's not something
that's going to be on a buyers list of requirements. It might possibly
improve the chance of a sale going through if the existing roof looks
bad. But it's not something that's cheap or easy. If you're looking to
add value, I'd look elsewhere IIWY.

-Duncan

Reginald Perrin October 24th 03 02:26 PM

Flat Roof & Adding Value

"BigWallop" wrote in message

If you did put a different roof on top, wouldn't it effect the upstairs
windows ?

You can use a 12.5 degree pitch roof which will probably avoid affecting
the upstairs windows.

BigWallop October 24th 03 05:31 PM

Flat Roof & Adding Value

"Reginald Perrin" wrote in message
news:5ce8757059f4781c96bd338f6100233b.31818@mygate .mailgate.org...
"BigWallop" wrote in message

If you did put a different roof on top, wouldn't it effect the upstairs
windows ?

You can use a 12.5 degree pitch roof which will probably avoid affecting
the upstairs windows.

I suppose, if the existing roof isn't already to close to them.

Simon Avery November 3rd 03 09:57 AM

Flat Roof & Adding Value

(MrHappyChap) wrote:

Hello MrHappyChap

M| If a terraced house (in an area popular with first time
M| buyers) has a kitchen extension with a flat roof, would the
M| construction of a "regular" roof usually add value to the
M| house?

Around here, there's not much you can do to "add value" - the location
is everything, and there's such a huge pressure that costs just keep
on increasing despite anything.

Eg, last house. I spent around 15k improving it. Went up in value from
90k to 125k in five years. I then sold it and it was sold a year later
for 250k with nothing extra done to improve it.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: