Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default uPVC Door draught.

Yesterday, in a flash of illumination (literally) the sun hit the front
door and around the lip with the rubber seal I noticed I could see
daylight in places. This explains at least one of the draughts I've been
trying to track down (it's an old house). I can usually manage to stop
draughts with one or more of an array of 'stuff' but I'm not sure how to
resolve this one, the rubber strip looks OK, should I look at replacing
it or is there something else I should be looking at?

Before anyone mentions it, the company who installed is long gone so
there's little to no chance of recourse there and even if there was, it
wouldn't make my house warmer quickly.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clint Sharp wrote:
Yesterday, in a flash of illumination (literally) the sun hit the
front door and around the lip with the rubber seal I noticed I could
see daylight in places. This explains at least one of the draughts
I've been trying to track down (it's an old house). I can usually
manage to stop draughts with one or more of an array of 'stuff' but
I'm not sure how to resolve this one, the rubber strip looks OK,
should I look at replacing it or is there something else I should be
looking at?
Before anyone mentions it, the company who installed is long gone so
there's little to no chance of recourse there and even if there was,
it wouldn't make my house warmer quickly.

Clint Sharp

Look at the rollers on the front edge of the door, they are used as
adjusters using the 'cam' principle, find an Allen key that will fit the
slot and turn them in-or out until there is a good seal on the rubbers.

To check this seal, simply tear a piece of newspaper and 'trap' this between
the door and rubbers and pull the paper out - there should be a slight
resistance when doing this, if not, adjust said rollers until there is.

Cash