Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMC GMC is offline

Default lv transformer question

Hi,

I have a transformer that runs two 10w G4 light fittings. The
transformer has a small 5-way connector block built into it. It has 20W
written on the side. It looks much like the following one which claims
to be an 105w model:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ligh.../sd2638/p39954

My possibly stupid question is, is my transformer likely to be rated at
20w in total or 20w per output, i.e. 100w intotal? Now given that there
are 5 possible connections that can be made to it it would seem unlikely
that it is expected to power 5 lamps at 4w... or am i being too hopeful?
The reason that i am asking is that I would like to uprate the G4 bulbs
to 20w each.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GMC wrote:
Hi,

I have a transformer that runs two 10w G4 light fittings. The
transformer has a small 5-way connector block built into it. It has 20W
written on the side. It looks much like the following one which claims
to be an 105w model:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ligh.../sd2638/p39954

My possibly stupid question is, is my transformer likely to be rated at
20w in total or 20w per output, i.e. 100w intotal? Now given that there
are 5 possible connections that can be made to it it would seem unlikely
that it is expected to power 5 lamps at 4w... or am i being too hopeful?
The reason that i am asking is that I would like to uprate the G4 bulbs
to 20w each.

The *total* max load should be marked on it somewhere. Because it is
externally the same as another doesn't mean much. So if it says 20w that
is the maximum.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMC GMC is offline

snip

The *total* max load should be marked on it somewhere. Because it is
externally the same as another doesn't mean much. So if it says 20w that
is the maximum.

Hmm, the only rating in watts on the transformer is 20w. I just find it
hard to imagine that a 5 way transformer would be rated so poorly, I
mean do 4w bulbs even exist???

Cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GMC" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I have a transformer that runs two 10w G4 light fittings. The transformer
has a small 5-way connector block built into it. It has 20W written on the
side. It looks much like the following one which claims to be an 105w
model:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ligh.../sd2638/p39954

My possibly stupid question is, is my transformer likely to be rated at
20w in total or 20w per output, i.e. 100w intotal? Now given that there
are 5 possible connections that can be made to it it would seem unlikely
that it is expected to power 5 lamps at 4w... or am i being too hopeful?
The reason that i am asking is that I would like to uprate the G4 bulbs to
20w each.

Thanks

The item in you Toolstation link looks like a switching type power supply.
Thermal overload and short circuit protected are a bit of a give-away. I
guess they are called "transformers" for historical reasons.

If yours is also of the switched type, it's obviously older and may well be
the same size for a much reduced output.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Dec, 11:22, GMC wrote:
snip

The *total* max load should be marked on it somewhere. Because it is
externally the same as another doesn't mean much. So if it says 20w that
is the maximum.

Hmm, the only rating in watts on the transformer is 20w. I just find it
hard to imagine that a 5 way transformer would be rated so poorly, I
mean do 4w bulbs even exist???

I have several different LED transformers which have different power
ratings, but are all housed in identical boxes, with identical
connectors, probably because it isn't worth the hassle of
manufacturing slightly different boxes for each variant. The 5
connectors are probably only be there to allow higher rated models to
make use of them.

dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMC GMC is offline

dent wrote:
On 3 Dec, 11:22, GMC wrote:
snip

The *total* max load should be marked on it somewhere. Because it is
externally the same as another doesn't mean much. So if it says 20w that
is the maximum.

Hmm, the only rating in watts on the transformer is 20w. I just find it
hard to imagine that a 5 way transformer would be rated so poorly, I
mean do 4w bulbs even exist???

I have several different LED transformers which have different power
ratings, but are all housed in identical boxes, with identical
connectors, probably because it isn't worth the hassle of
manufacturing slightly different boxes for each variant. The 5
connectors are probably only be there to allow higher rated models to
make use of them.

dan.

ok, so it is realistic that it is indeed a 20w TOTAL that the
transformer is capable of! I will buy an uprated model to suit my
requirement.

Thanks for all of the answers.