Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default pressure relief valve

I am struggling to find a replacement 6 bar relief valve protecting an
under counter unvented water heater.

The unit was installed by tenants and is now dribbling!

I have tried releasing water to see if grit has lodged in the seating
without success.

There are no obvious manufacturer details and general Google searches do
not lead to a supplier of parts.

This must be an item fitted with all such heaters so somebody must
supply replacements.

any ideas?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
I am struggling to find a replacement 6 bar relief valve protecting an
under counter unvented water heater.

The unit was installed by tenants and is now dribbling!

I have tried releasing water to see if grit has lodged in the seating
without success.

There are no obvious manufacturer details and general Google searches do
not lead to a supplier of parts.

This must be an item fitted with all such heaters so somebody must supply
replacements.

any ideas?
--
Tim Lamb

http://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/searc...ct&R=310771 6

Google provided several.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 09:28:26 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:
I have tried releasing water to see if grit has lodged in the seating
without success.

Hmm, wonder if you can strip it and reassemble and still expect it to work
(i.e. whether the pressure at which it trips is inherent in the design,
or if it's dictated by how tightly some part or other is torqued upon
assembly)

I suspect there's still a particle of something or other stuck in there,
but disassembly might be the only way to get at it.

Alternately, the valve's probably a standard thread - if it'll come off,
it's probably possible to source a 6 bar valve with the right fitting
from *somewhere* even if it's not identical to the current leaking one.

Maybe something like:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/pressure...alves-231-0000
.... and maybe you can get fittings to make up an adapter if needed?

This must be an item fitted with all such heaters so somebody must
supply replacements.

Dunno. This side of the Pond they're all pretty standard and you can get
the valves from any DIY store that does plumbing supplies (ditto with
elements, drain valves etc.) - but I don't remember seeing such things in
UK stores (not that I ever had cause to look that hard, though).

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Andrews
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
I am struggling to find a replacement 6 bar relief valve protecting an
under counter unvented water heater.

The unit was installed by tenants and is now dribbling!

I have tried releasing water to see if grit has lodged in the seating
without success.

There are no obvious manufacturer details and general Google searches do
not lead to a supplier of parts.

This must be an item fitted with all such heaters so somebody must supply
replacements.

any ideas?
--
Tim Lamb

http://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/searc...tml?method=get
Product&R=3107716

Google provided several.

Yes. That's the job!

I'm now curious to know what search terms you used?

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, Jules
writes
On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 09:28:26 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:
I have tried releasing water to see if grit has lodged in the seating
without success.

Hmm, wonder if you can strip it and reassemble and still expect it to work
(i.e. whether the pressure at which it trips is inherent in the design,
or if it's dictated by how tightly some part or other is torqued upon
assembly)

Possibly. Unfortunately, if I wreck it attempting a repair, my tenant
will be without a supply for hand washing.

I suspect there's still a particle of something or other stuck in there,
but disassembly might be the only way to get at it.

Yes. Peter has given me a source so the plan is to wait for the
replacement to arrive before attempting anything.

These heaters seem to originate from Italy although Santon et al have
their own versions but fitted with different over pressure arrangements.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 1, 10:55*am, Jules
wrote:
[...]

Agree. This side of the pond (i.e. eastern Canada) a typical pressure
relief valve costs around $25 Can or less. That's around 12 to 15
quid! (New). Last time we bought one was because the PR valve on our
replacement 120 litre dual electric element hot water tank (About 150
quid, two years ago, but now closer to 180 quid) was side mounted; so
a valve with a deeper thread was required. All bought from a building
supplies store, of which there are several of the leading Canadian
chains in this city of around 200,000.
Apart from that we'd still be using a 40+ year old second hand PR we
picked up in a junk store/flea market back then; for 'pennies' IIRC.
One inch pipe thread I think?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You'll find the same, only cheaper, at www.bes.co.uk, in all different
"flavours" (male inlet, female outlet etc). Their search tool is a nightmare
but the catalogues are good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
You'll find the same, only cheaper, at www.bes.co.uk, in all different
"flavours" (male inlet, female outlet etc). Their search tool is a
nightmare but the catalogues are good

I should have added that, in my experience with combi boilers, once they
have been leaking the seats get irrevocably damaged and it's quick, cheap,
and easy to replace them.

BES part numbers are

17107
11346
11347
12346

Between £5 and £6 plus vat

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Peter Andrews
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"6 bar relief valve" copied from your posting!

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Yes. That's the job!

You said 6 bar!

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Andrews
writes
http://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/searc...tml?method=get
Product&R=3107716

Google provided several.

Yes. That's the job!

I'm now curious to know what search terms you used?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

"6 bar relief valve" copied from your posting!

Hmm...

I tried *pressure relief valve* and then filtered for 6 bar.

Then various flavours of the above.

Under counter heater manufacturers were found but seemed unprepared to
offer spares of this type.

Anyway problem potentially solved, subject to original plumbers comment
that *they always leak in high water pressure areas*.

Thanks to all who helped.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , andrew
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

Yes. That's the job!

You said 6 bar!

er.. yes?

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , andrew
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

Yes. That's the job!

You said 6 bar!

er.. yes?

Sorry I misread it, I see it is adjustable up to 10 bar. We're not allowed
to use adjustable ones so ours are factory set and have a lead seal, they
cost considerably more too.

The only one that failed would not re seat itself no matter how I played
with it once it started leaking.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , andrew
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , andrew
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

Yes. That's the job!

You said 6 bar!

er.. yes?

Sorry I misread it, I see it is adjustable up to 10 bar. We're not allowed
to use adjustable ones so ours are factory set and have a lead seal, they
cost considerably more too.

These are also fixed. No lead seal though.

The only one that failed would not re seat itself no matter how I played
with it once it started leaking.

Yes. Amazing how water can cut a slot in a brass seating in a few months
of dripping.

regards
--
Tim Lamb