Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default plague of sh1tty halogen lamps

second lot of sh1tty yellowy dim halogen lamps going back today......

12v MR11 anyone had good bright white lamps at a reasonable price
success? - on ebay preferably...

TIA
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JimK" wrote in message
second lot of sh1tty yellowy dim halogen lamps going back today......

12v MR11 anyone had good bright white lamps at a reasonable price
success? - on ebay preferably...

TIA
JimK

Best to buy named brand lamps - Crompton - as an example, cost a bit more
but last longer with a good light.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK writes:
second lot of sh1tty yellowy dim halogen lamps going back today......

12v MR11 anyone had good bright white lamps at a reasonable price
success? - on ebay preferably...

I have 2 in my living room (not used very often).
When I last went to buy spares, the cheapest way was to buy a
set of 5 MR11 downlighters with transformer on offer in B&Q,
and throw it all* away except the bulbs. The bulbs are no-names,
but project a nice soft-edged circular spot in the wall, verses
the expensive GE ones I bought, which had an irregular sharp
cutoff, quite unsuitable for projecting at pictures on the
walls.

* Actually, I just couldn't face throwing out the electronic
transformers, which sat in the garage for 5 years. I've
just dug them out for my next project - converting a set of
matching mains pendants and wall lights which use candle
bulbs on a dimmer, to use 12V capules instead with the
dimming transformers.

--
Andrew Gabriel