Old November 11th 09, 06:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wallpaper confusion

I've been hanging wallpaper for years but this pattern repeat
description has got me beat:
'[the wallpaper] comes in 52cm x 10m rolls. It has a pattern repeat of
61cm and a half drop'.

What do they mean by '61cm and a half drop'?

The single wall onto which the wallpaper is destined is 3.3m wide by
2.3m high. Experience says 4 drops per roll so two rolls should do it.
Does the repeat description alter this?

TIA

Old November 11th 09, 06:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 18:04:44 +0000, F [email protected] wrote:

I've been hanging wallpaper for years but this pattern repeat
description has got me beat:
'[the wallpaper] comes in 52cm x 10m rolls. It has a pattern repeat of
61cm and a half drop'.

What do they mean by '61cm and a half drop'?

The single wall onto which the wallpaper is destined is 3.3m wide by
2.3m high. Experience says 4 drops per roll so two rolls should do it.
Does the repeat description alter this?

TIA

I would read it as an idiots way of saying 61.5cm.

But then anything is possible from that description. )
Old November 11th 09, 07:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" [email protected] wrote in message
I've been hanging wallpaper for years but this pattern repeat description
has got me beat:
'[the wallpaper] comes in 52cm x 10m rolls. It has a pattern repeat of
61cm and a half drop'.

What do they mean by '61cm and a half drop'?

The single wall onto which the wallpaper is destined is 3.3m wide by 2.3m
high. Experience says 4 drops per roll so two rolls should do it. Does the
repeat description alter this?

TIA

Does it not mean that the pattern repeat is 61cm but that the pattern is
staggered by half a pattern repeat between the two edges of the paper? So in
your calculation you need to allow an extra half pattern repeat in every
alternate drop.

Stephen

Old November 11th 09, 07:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2009 19:05 Stephen Mawson wrote:

Does it not mean that the pattern repeat is 61cm but that the pattern is
staggered by half a pattern repeat between the two edges of the paper? So in
your calculation you need to allow an extra half pattern repeat in every
alternate drop.

That was my suspicion but I can also read it as described by Eric and Phil.

It's for my daughter and the supplier only has two rolls. If it was for
me I'd start papering in the middle of the wall, work outwards in each
direction and, if it runs out, finish with some plain colour (probably
white!). But it's not for me...

Old November 11th 09, 07:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:05:23 -0000, Stephen Mawson wrote:

What do they mean by '61cm and a half drop'?

Does it not mean that the pattern repeat is 61cm but that the pattern is
staggered by half a pattern repeat between the two edges of the paper?

Yep. A drop pattern can get a bit mind blowing. But the simple way to
minimise wastage is to cut alternate pieces from alternate rolls.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old November 11th 09, 08:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

F submitted this idea :
I've been hanging wallpaper for years but this pattern repeat description has
got me beat:
'[the wallpaper] comes in 52cm x 10m rolls. It has a pattern repeat of 61cm
and a half drop'.

What do they mean by '61cm and a half drop'?

The single wall onto which the wallpaper is destined is 3.3m wide by 2.3m
high. Experience says 4 drops per roll so two rolls should do it. Does the
repeat description alter this?

TIA

I would guess at it repeats every 61cm and that that the match point
moves down by half of that (30.5cm) for each length.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old November 11th 09, 09:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:05:23 -0000, Stephen Mawson wrote:

What do they mean by '61cm and a half drop'?

Does it not mean that the pattern repeat is 61cm but that the
pattern is staggered by half a pattern repeat between the two edges
of the paper?

Yep. A drop pattern can get a bit mind blowing. But the simple way to
minimise wastage is to cut alternate pieces from alternate rolls.

Absolutely right! You have both rolls on the go, cutting the first, third,
fifth and seventh drops from Roll 1 and drops 2, 4, 6 and 8 from Roll 2.
That way, each drop is an integral number of pattern repeats, and you waste
very little.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old November 11th 09, 10:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:39:31 -0000, "Roger Mills"

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:05:23 -0000, Stephen Mawson wrote:

What do they mean by '61cm and a half drop'?

Does it not mean that the pattern repeat is 61cm but that the
pattern is staggered by half a pattern repeat between the two edges
of the paper?

Yep. A drop pattern can get a bit mind blowing. But the simple way to
minimise wastage is to cut alternate pieces from alternate rolls.

Absolutely right! You have both rolls on the go, cutting the first, third,
fifth and seventh drops from Roll 1 and drops 2, 4, 6 and 8 from Roll 2.
That way, each drop is an integral number of pattern repeats, and you waste
very little.

People!

This seems like a major DIY tip to me.

Can it go in the wiki??

R value confusion mgarvie Home Repair 6 January 29th 07 10:04 AM
multitester confusion Boothbay Home Repair 14 December 25th 06 06:28 AM
Air brick confusion - still! [email protected] UK diy 13 October 15th 06 10:11 PM
Removing wallpaper border from painted (vinyl?) wallpaper Robert Campbell UK diy 12 May 23rd 06 10:20 AM
100 amp vs 200 amp confusion maxinemovies Home Repair 13 January 11th 06 02:27 AM