DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wallpaper confusion (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/291578-wallpaper-confusion.html)

F[_2_] November 11th 09 07:04 PM

Wallpaper confusion

I've been hanging wallpaper for years but this pattern repeat
description has got me beat:
'[the wallpaper] comes in 52cm x 10m rolls. It has a pattern repeat of
61cm and a half drop'.

What do they mean by '61cm and a half drop'?

The single wall onto which the wallpaper is destined is 3.3m wide by
2.3m high. Experience says 4 drops per roll so two rolls should do it.
Does the repeat description alter this?

TIA

[email protected] November 11th 09 07:59 PM

Wallpaper confusion

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 18:04:44 +0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

I've been hanging wallpaper for years but this pattern repeat
description has got me beat:
'[the wallpaper] comes in 52cm x 10m rolls. It has a pattern repeat of
61cm and a half drop'.

What do they mean by '61cm and a half drop'?

The single wall onto which the wallpaper is destined is 3.3m wide by
2.3m high. Experience says 4 drops per roll so two rolls should do it.
Does the repeat description alter this?

TIA

I would read it as an idiots way of saying 61.5cm.

But then anything is possible from that description. :))

Phil L[_2_] November 11th 09 08:03 PM

Wallpaper confusion

wrote:
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 18:04:44 +0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

I've been hanging wallpaper for years but this pattern repeat
description has got me beat:
'[the wallpaper] comes in 52cm x 10m rolls. It has a pattern repeat
of 61cm and a half drop'.

What do they mean by '61cm and a half drop'?

The single wall onto which the wallpaper is destined is 3.3m wide by
2.3m high. Experience says 4 drops per roll so two rolls should do
it. Does the repeat description alter this?

TIA

I would read it as an idiots way of saying 61.5cm.

But then anything is possible from that description. :))

I think it means the pattern repeats at 61, so the lengths need be cut at
least 30.5 longer than a full length (from floor to ceiling)

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Stephen Mawson November 11th 09 08:05 PM

Wallpaper confusion

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
I've been hanging wallpaper for years but this pattern repeat description
has got me beat:
'[the wallpaper] comes in 52cm x 10m rolls. It has a pattern repeat of
61cm and a half drop'.

What do they mean by '61cm and a half drop'?

The single wall onto which the wallpaper is destined is 3.3m wide by 2.3m
high. Experience says 4 drops per roll so two rolls should do it. Does the
repeat description alter this?

TIA

Does it not mean that the pattern repeat is 61cm but that the pattern is
staggered by half a pattern repeat between the two edges of the paper? So in
your calculation you need to allow an extra half pattern repeat in every
alternate drop.

Stephen

F[_2_] November 11th 09 08:28 PM

Wallpaper confusion

On 11/11/2009 19:05 Stephen Mawson wrote:

Does it not mean that the pattern repeat is 61cm but that the pattern is
staggered by half a pattern repeat between the two edges of the paper? So in
your calculation you need to allow an extra half pattern repeat in every
alternate drop.

That was my suspicion but I can also read it as described by Eric and Phil.

It's for my daughter and the supplier only has two rolls. If it was for
me I'd start papering in the middle of the wall, work outwards in each
direction and, if it runs out, finish with some plain colour (probably
white!). But it's not for me...

Dave Liquorice[_2_] November 11th 09 08:41 PM

Wallpaper confusion

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:05:23 -0000, Stephen Mawson wrote:

What do they mean by '61cm and a half drop'?

Does it not mean that the pattern repeat is 61cm but that the pattern is
staggered by half a pattern repeat between the two edges of the paper?

Yep. A drop pattern can get a bit mind blowing. But the simple way to
minimise wastage is to cut alternate pieces from alternate rolls.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] November 11th 09 09:45 PM

Wallpaper confusion

F submitted this idea :
I've been hanging wallpaper for years but this pattern repeat description has
got me beat:
'[the wallpaper] comes in 52cm x 10m rolls. It has a pattern repeat of 61cm
and a half drop'.

What do they mean by '61cm and a half drop'?

The single wall onto which the wallpaper is destined is 3.3m wide by 2.3m
high. Experience says 4 drops per roll so two rolls should do it. Does the
repeat description alter this?

TIA

I would guess at it repeats every 61cm and that that the match point
moves down by half of that (30.5cm) for each length.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Roger Mills November 11th 09 10:39 PM

Wallpaper confusion

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:05:23 -0000, Stephen Mawson wrote:

What do they mean by '61cm and a half drop'?

Does it not mean that the pattern repeat is 61cm but that the
pattern is staggered by half a pattern repeat between the two edges
of the paper?

Yep. A drop pattern can get a bit mind blowing. But the simple way to
minimise wastage is to cut alternate pieces from alternate rolls.

Absolutely right! You have both rolls on the go, cutting the first, third,
fifth and seventh drops from Roll 1 and drops 2, 4, 6 and 8 from Roll 2.
That way, each drop is an integral number of pattern repeats, and you waste
very little.
--
Cheers,
Roger

[email protected] November 11th 09 11:02 PM

Wallpaper confusion

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:39:31 -0000, "Roger Mills"

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:05:23 -0000, Stephen Mawson wrote:

What do they mean by '61cm and a half drop'?

Does it not mean that the pattern repeat is 61cm but that the
pattern is staggered by half a pattern repeat between the two edges
of the paper?

Yep. A drop pattern can get a bit mind blowing. But the simple way to
minimise wastage is to cut alternate pieces from alternate rolls.

Absolutely right! You have both rolls on the go, cutting the first, third,
fifth and seventh drops from Roll 1 and drops 2, 4, 6 and 8 from Roll 2.
That way, each drop is an integral number of pattern repeats, and you waste
very little.

People!

This seems like a major DIY tip to me.

Can it go in the wiki??

Roger Mills November 12th 09 12:16 AM

Wallpaper confusion

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:05:23 -0000, Stephen Mawson wrote:

What do they mean by '61cm and a half drop'?

Does it not mean that the pattern repeat is 61cm but that the
pattern is staggered by half a pattern repeat between the two edges
of the paper?

Yep. A drop pattern can get a bit mind blowing. But the simple way
to minimise wastage is to cut alternate pieces from alternate rolls.

Absolutely right! You have both rolls on the go, cutting the first,
third, fifth and seventh drops from Roll 1 and drops 2, 4, 6 and 8
from Roll 2. That way, each drop is an integral number of pattern
repeats, and you waste very little.

People!

This seems like a major DIY tip to me.

Can it go in the wiki??

It's not rocket science! I've been doing it since Adam was a lad, and
assumed it was common practice!
--
Cheers,
Roger

[email protected] November 12th 09 12:39 AM

Wallpaper confusion

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 23:16:06 -0000, "Roger Mills"
wrote:

Yep. A drop pattern can get a bit mind blowing. But the simple way
to minimise wastage is to cut alternate pieces from alternate rolls.

Absolutely right! You have both rolls on the go, cutting the first,
third, fifth and seventh drops from Roll 1 and drops 2, 4, 6 and 8
from Roll 2. That way, each drop is an integral number of pattern
repeats, and you waste very little.

People!

This seems like a major DIY tip to me.

Can it go in the wiki??

It's not rocket science! I've been doing it since Adam was a lad, and
assumed it was common practice!

Never heard of it. It is one of those tricks that everybody who knows
just assumes everybody knows.

Very useful for a beginner to have explained.

The Medway Handyman November 12th 09 12:59 AM

Wallpaper confusion

Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

No mate, AFAIC it is rocket science :-) Get it on the Wiki.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

The Medway Handyman November 12th 09 01:06 AM

Wallpaper confusion

F wrote:
I've been hanging wallpaper for years

Sorry to highjack your thread, but I've just papered an alcove in the spare
room.

I've always found that wallpaper unrolled 'pattern up' IYSWIM. In other
words if you unroll it facing you, the pattern is the right way up.

The paper SWMBO chose seems to work the other way. So instead of placing
the paper on the paste table & unrolling it to length, then cutting, pasting
& folding - you have to unroll, cut to length, then reverse.

Is that common nowadays?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

F[_2_] November 12th 09 01:43 AM

Wallpaper confusion

On 12/11/2009 00:06 The Medway Handyman wrote:

I've always found that wallpaper unrolled 'pattern up' IYSWIM. In other
words if you unroll it facing you, the pattern is the right way up.

If you unroll it with the pattern facing away from you then it's still
the right way up, just needs rotating around a vertical axis.

The free end of the roll goes to the top of the wall.

The paper SWMBO chose seems to work the other way. So instead of placing
the paper on the paste table & unrolling it to length, then cutting, pasting
& folding - you have to unroll, cut to length, then reverse.

Or have I misunderstood you? Are you saying that when you look at the
roll, you can't see the pattern until you have unrolled it and then
turned it over? The pattern is facing the inside of the roll rather than
the outside?

Is that common nowadays?

If I got it right second time then, no, I've never come across any like
that. Has management bought it from an 'outlet' that has had to repack
the wallpaper?

Chris J Dixon November 12th 09 09:03 AM

Wallpaper confusion

Roger Mills wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:05:23 -0000, Stephen Mawson wrote:

What do they mean by '61cm and a half drop'?

Does it not mean that the pattern repeat is 61cm but that the
pattern is staggered by half a pattern repeat between the two edges
of the paper?

Yep. A drop pattern can get a bit mind blowing. But the simple way to
minimise wastage is to cut alternate pieces from alternate rolls.

Absolutely right! You have both rolls on the go, cutting the first, third,
fifth and seventh drops from Roll 1 and drops 2, 4, 6 and 8 from Roll 2.
That way, each drop is an integral number of pattern repeats, and you waste
very little.

This is absolutely correct for the particular drop and pattern
repeat the OP mentioned, and clearly worth more widespread
knowledge, but in the general condition, the numbers could just
as easily work out so that this ploy was not necessary.

I guess this is the time for the mathematicians to produce a
formula into which we can input drop, repeat, straight/
staggered, and it will tell us whether to cut from one roll or
two at a time.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

The Medway Handyman November 12th 09 09:25 AM

Wallpaper confusion

F wrote:
On 12/11/2009 00:06 The Medway Handyman wrote:

I've always found that wallpaper unrolled 'pattern up' IYSWIM. In
other words if you unroll it facing you, the pattern is the right
way up.

If you unroll it with the pattern facing away from you then it's still
the right way up, just needs rotating around a vertical axis.

The free end of the roll goes to the top of the wall.

Sorry, I knew I hadn't explained that very well. In this case the free end
had to go to the bottom of the wall, the cut end to the top.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Chris J Dixon November 12th 09 10:42 AM

Wallpaper confusion

The Medway Handyman wrote:

F wrote:
On 12/11/2009 00:06 The Medway Handyman wrote:

I've always found that wallpaper unrolled 'pattern up' IYSWIM. In
other words if you unroll it facing you, the pattern is the right
way up.

If you unroll it with the pattern facing away from you then it's still
the right way up, just needs rotating around a vertical axis.

The free end of the roll goes to the top of the wall.

Sorry, I knew I hadn't explained that very well. In this case the free end
had to go to the bottom of the wall, the cut end to the top.

Is this a case where the pattern orientation is indicated
somehow, or simply you feel it looks better that way? I guess
some objects should clearly be a particular way up, lots of
others are more abstract.

Chris

F[_2_] November 12th 09 11:18 AM

Wallpaper confusion

On 12/11/2009 08:25 The Medway Handyman wrote:

In this case the free end
had to go to the bottom of the wall, the cut end to the top.

Never come across that. Are you sure it's the right way up? No clues in
the pattern?

Having said that, in the early days, I once set about papering a stair
well with the longest drop first. Somewhere between paste table and
wall, probably as I balanced on the bannister, I managed to transpose
bottom and top.

Management wouldn't accept upside down flowers.

mogga November 12th 09 11:47 AM

Wallpaper confusion

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:18:56 +0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 12/11/2009 08:25 The Medway Handyman wrote:

In this case the free end
had to go to the bottom of the wall, the cut end to the top.

Never come across that. Are you sure it's the right way up? No clues in
the pattern?

Having said that, in the early days, I once set about papering a stair
well with the longest drop first. Somewhere between paste table and
wall, probably as I balanced on the bannister, I managed to transpose
bottom and top.

Management wouldn't accept upside down flowers.

My dad papered my nan's lounge and it looked really nice until some
smart alec asked why the flowers were upsde down...
--
http://www.Christmasfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

ACE November 12th 09 12:07 PM

Wallpaper confusion

On 12 Nov, 10:18, F wrote:
Having said that, in the early days, I once set about papering a stair
well with the longest drop first. Somewhere between paste table and
wall, probably as I balanced on the bannister, I managed to transpose
bottom and top.
Management wouldn't accept upside down flowers.

chortles

Previous occupants of my previous flat had made their own border by
slicing strips of wallpaper, so I had sideways flowers round the
cornice.

Owain

Dave Liquorice[_2_] November 12th 09 02:28 PM

Wallpaper confusion

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 23:16:06 -0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Yep. A drop pattern can get a bit mind blowing. But the simple

way
to minimise wastage is to cut alternate pieces from alternate

rolls.

Absolutely right! You have both rolls on the go, cutting the

first,
third, fifth and seventh drops from Roll 1 and drops 2, 4, 6 and

8
from Roll 2. That way, each drop is an integral number of pattern
repeats, and you waste very little.

This seems like a major DIY tip to me.

Can it go in the wiki??

It's not there already? Is there not a section on wall papering?
Can't say I've looked mind. The bit I can never remember is which way
to overlap into a window reveal, one way shows they other doesn't.

It's not rocket science! I've been doing it since Adam was a lad, and
assumed it was common practice!

It is common practice but it's not obvious. It's only when you hang a
wall paper with a drop pattern and you end up with lots of bits 1/2
drop long trimmed off that you start to think "there must be a better
way"

--
Cheers
Dave.

Roger Mills November 12th 09 02:38 PM

Wallpaper confusion

Chris J Dixon wrote:

This is absolutely correct for the particular drop and pattern
repeat the OP mentioned, and clearly worth more widespread
knowledge, but in the general condition, the numbers could just
as easily work out so that this ploy was not necessary.

Yes, I agree. If the height of the wall is N + 1/2 patterns, then - as you
say - you keep using the same roll rather than alternating when the pattern
match is staggered.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Dave Liquorice[_2_] November 12th 09 02:56 PM

Wallpaper confusion

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:03:01 GMT, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I guess this is the time for the mathematicians to produce a formula
into which we can input drop, repeat, straight/staggered, and it will
tell us whether to cut from one roll or two at a time.

I think the key numbers are drop, repeat, fall (piece length) and
desired trim amount.

I feel that there is relation ship between the repeat and fall that
is modified by the drop to indicate if two (or more) rolls need to be
used for consecutive each piece. It may well be that a large repeat,
in relation to the fall, with zero drop could also save paper by
using two (or more) rolls simultaneously.

I expected to find such a calculator on the web but I can't quickly,
and even more curiously many "how to hang wallpaper" pages don't
mention this alternate roll trick but they they also tend to ignore
wallpapers with drops...

--
Cheers
Dave.

The Medway Handyman November 12th 09 06:42 PM

Wallpaper confusion

F wrote:
On 12/11/2009 08:25 The Medway Handyman wrote:

In this case the free end
had to go to the bottom of the wall, the cut end to the top.

Never come across that. Are you sure it's the right way up? No clues
in the pattern?

Having said that, in the early days, I once set about papering a stair
well with the longest drop first. Somewhere between paste table and
wall, probably as I balanced on the bannister, I managed to transpose
bottom and top.

Management wouldn't accept upside down flowers.

Strangely enough this was also flowers! With the free end at the top, the
flowers were upside down. SWMBO was asked to attend site & make a decision
and we both agreed the flowers should go up.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Peter Twydell[_2_] November 12th 09 07:23 PM

Wallpaper confusion

In message , F
writes
On 12/11/2009 08:25 The Medway Handyman wrote:

In this case the free end had to go to the bottom of the wall, the
cut end to the top.

Never come across that. Are you sure it's the right way up? No clues in
the pattern?

Having said that, in the early days, I once set about papering a stair
well with the longest drop first. Somewhere between paste table and
wall, probably as I balanced on the bannister, I managed to transpose
bottom and top.

Management wouldn't accept upside down flowers.

Does that brick pattern wallpaper still exist? Having watched my dad
hang some at home (right way up) I made a point of looking at the
orientation every time I saw some. It wasn't unusual for it to be upside
down, i.e. the shadows in the pointing were at the top of each brick.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

F[_2_] November 12th 09 07:37 PM

Wallpaper confusion

On 12/11/2009 17:42 The Medway Handyman wrote:

SWMBO was asked to attend site & make a decision
and we both agreed the flowers should go up.

Try claiming drought? Over watering?

No? Didn't work for me either.

The Medway Handyman November 12th 09 07:58 PM

Wallpaper confusion

Peter Twydell wrote:
In message , F
writes
On 12/11/2009 08:25 The Medway Handyman wrote:

In this case the free end had to go to the bottom of the wall, the
cut end to the top.

Never come across that. Are you sure it's the right way up? No clues
in the pattern?

Having said that, in the early days, I once set about papering a
stair well with the longest drop first. Somewhere between paste
table and wall, probably as I balanced on the bannister, I managed
to transpose bottom and top.

Management wouldn't accept upside down flowers.

Does that brick pattern wallpaper still exist? Having watched my dad
hang some at home (right way up) I made a point of looking at the
orientation every time I saw some. It wasn't unusual for it to be
upside down, i.e. the shadows in the pointing were at the top of each
brick.

It does;
http://www.flockyourwall.co.uk/produ...FaBb4wod_A9wqg

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Chris J Dixon November 13th 09 08:16 AM

Wallpaper confusion

Peter Twydell wrote:

Does that brick pattern wallpaper still exist? Having watched my dad
hang some at home (right way up) I made a point of looking at the
orientation every time I saw some. It wasn't unusual for it to be upside
down, i.e. the shadows in the pointing were at the top of each brick.

In the same way that, once you have interpreted the veining
pattern, on the one-time ubiquitous Crystal tiles, as a bird
flexing its wings, you spot at a glance how the orientation has
been planned (or not).

Chris