DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   PC audio setup for home office (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/2906-pc-audio-setup-home-office.html)

Ian Mayo October 22nd 03 09:29 AM

PC audio setup for home office

Hi all,
clearly after my last question (about speaker cable sockets -
http://tinyurl.com/ruup ) there are lots of audiofiles out there.

I've now got a supplemental question:

Can anybody recommend an audio setup for my home office which would allow me
to hear 5.1 audio from my PC, CD's from my PC, and radio? My PC has 5.1
optical output.

So, I could buy a radio card for the PC, together with a 5.1 amplifier and
have the whole thing controlled from the PC. Alternatively I could look out
for a cheap home cinema amp/dvd player which has built-in radio, and just
use the PC as an aux input to it. Having a non-PC controlled volume control
does seem an advantage.

Anybody have any opinions?

I'd like to keep the budget to under £200 if I can.

Cheers,
Ian

Witchy October 22nd 03 06:05 PM

PC audio setup for home office

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 07:29:23 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Mayo"
wrote:

Hi all,
clearly after my last question (about speaker cable sockets -
http://tinyurl.com/ruup ) there are lots of audiofiles out there.

I've now got a supplemental question:

Can anybody recommend an audio setup for my home office which would allow me
to hear 5.1 audio from my PC, CD's from my PC, and radio? My PC has 5.1
optical output.

So, I could buy a radio card for the PC, together with a 5.1 amplifier and
have the whole thing controlled from the PC. Alternatively I could look out
for a cheap home cinema amp/dvd player which has built-in radio, and just
use the PC as an aux input to it. Having a non-PC controlled volume control
does seem an advantage.

Anybody have any opinions?

I'd like to keep the budget to under £200 if I can.

Not sure on the 5.1 stuff but I got a multi-input/output Marantz amp
from Richer Sounds so I could have the PC as both a CD recorder
(input) and playback (output). This was primarily to allow me to
re-record all my old vinyl and cassettes.

I can use Musicmatch Jukebox software on the peecee which simply feeds
into the amp which has the speakers connected. If you had a TV card
with built-in radio it would work the same way since I get TV sound
out of my TV card.

Added bonus is game sounds also get fed into the amp so much loudness
can be had :)

If your PC sound has the optical SP/DIF connectors you can feed those
directly into a 5.1 amp can't you? Guessing here.

--
cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Mike Faithfull October 22nd 03 06:18 PM

"Ian Mayo" wrote in message
Hi all,
clearly after my last question (about speaker cable sockets -
http://tinyurl.com/ruup ) there are lots of audiofiles out there.

I've now got a supplemental question:

Can anybody recommend an audio setup for my home office which would allow

me
to hear 5.1 audio from my PC, CD's from my PC, and radio? My PC has 5.1
optical output.

So, I could buy a radio card for the PC, together with a 5.1 amplifier and
have the whole thing controlled from the PC. Alternatively I could look

out
for a cheap home cinema amp/dvd player which has built-in radio, and just
use the PC as an aux input to it. Having a non-PC controlled volume

control
does seem an advantage.

Anybody have any opinions?

I would go the standalone amp/receiver route if 'twere me. Take a look to
see what Richer Sounds has on offer if you don't want to spend too much.

John Rumm October 22nd 03 09:12 PM

Ian Mayo wrote:

I've now got a supplemental question:

Can anybody recommend an audio setup for my home office which would allow me
to hear 5.1 audio from my PC, CD's from my PC, and radio? My PC has 5.1
optical output.

So, I could buy a radio card for the PC, together with a 5.1 amplifier and
have the whole thing controlled from the PC. Alternatively I could look out
for a cheap home cinema amp/dvd player which has built-in radio, and just
use the PC as an aux input to it. Having a non-PC controlled volume control
does seem an advantage.

Anybody have any opinions?

I'd like to keep the budget to under ?200 if I can.

We have had some very good reports from customers with the Creative Labs
"Creative Inspire 5.1 5100" speakers.

These are active (i.e. built in amp) systems with 5 x satellite, and 1 x
sub. When fed from a suitable sound card with a 5.1 compatible output
they are capable of producing a surprisingly good sound considering the
cost. Separate volume control, but no separate digital input (i.e. you
would need to use a digital input on your sound card for feeding an
external digital signal in).

Details he

http://uk.europe.creative.com/produc...t.asp?prod=336

They do other sets set with a separate decoder box that provides digital
in as well - these are a bit more pricey though:-

http://uk.europe.creative.com/produc...t.asp?prod=375

(ignore the prices on the creative labs site - they can certainly be had
for less!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Ian Mayo October 22nd 03 09:31 PM

"Witchy" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 07:29:23 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Mayo"

cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Great advice - separate amp/receiver it is, I was thinking that having it PC
controlled meant it would be easiest to quickly turn the vol down (mute key
on keyboard), but if I have the amp within arm's reach I'll that'll do the
same.

Just got to find an amp & speakers now...

cheers,
Ian

Barry Young October 22nd 03 09:48 PM

PC audio setup for home office

"Ian Mayo" wrote in
:

Great advice - separate amp/receiver it is, I was thinking that having
it PC controlled meant it would be easiest to quickly turn the vol
down (mute key on keyboard), but if I have the amp within arm's reach
I'll that'll do the same.

Most amps/receivers will come with a remote control these days, and in the
unlikely event that they don't you can get a generic one that'll work for
£10 or so. So you don't even need to keep it in arm's reach.

Witchy October 23rd 03 01:40 AM

PC audio setup for home office

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:31:38 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Mayo"
wrote:

"Witchy" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 07:29:23 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Mayo"

cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Great advice - separate amp/receiver it is, I was thinking that having it PC
controlled meant it would be easiest to quickly turn the vol down (mute key
on keyboard), but if I have the amp within arm's reach I'll that'll do the
same.

For me it works both ways - there's the master volume on the amp plus
instant silence from Musicmatch by hitting the Pause key on the peecee
keyboard....once it's the main app obviously, but that's what CTRL-TAB
is for :)
--
cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs