Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alternative to Hammerite ??

Hi all,
I have 40m square of steel sheeting to paint, mostly still covered with
its original paint but also with a fair amount of rust caused by scrapes
and scratches, Obviously the ideal answer would be to sand it down,
prime and paint but to be honest the finish does not need to be perfect
so I am looking for a quick fix. Is there anything that could be
painted on either as a primer or final coat that is not going to mind
going on top of rust? All thoughts gratefully received, thank you.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Hi all,
I have 40m square of steel sheeting to paint, mostly still covered with
its original paint but also with a fair amount of rust caused by scrapes
and scratches, Obviously the ideal answer would be to sand it down,
prime and paint but to be honest the finish does not need to be perfect
so I am looking for a quick fix. Is there anything that could be
painted on either as a primer or final coat that is not going to mind
going on top of rust? All thoughts gratefully received, thank you.

Whatever you use, you need to clean it up. The only question is how
thoroughly - and that depends on how badly you want to keep it.

I've just asked an online supplier a similar question regarding car
undercarriage. Their answer was to clean it back "manually" (ie wirebrush
etc sufficiently to clean all the flakiness and loose muck off, but don't
worry about getting it all spanglingly shiny) and use Rustoleum 769. A
chunk of change from £20/litre, mixed to whatever colour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 02:27:20 +0100, Bill
wrote:

Hi all,
I have 40m square of steel sheeting to paint, mostly still covered with
its original paint but also with a fair amount of rust caused by scrapes
and scratches, Obviously the ideal answer would be to sand it down,
prime and paint but to be honest the finish does not need to be perfect
so I am looking for a quick fix. Is there anything that could be
painted on either as a primer or final coat that is not going to mind
going on top of rust? All thoughts gratefully received, thank you.

That's a very large area, so whatever treatment you choose should not
be an expensive one.

I would be tempted to remove any loose rust with a wire brush then use
Kurust to stablise what rust is left behind. Then apply your chosen
paint system, preferably finishing in a colour that won't show any
areas of rust that break through. In other words, not white. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bruce
writes
That's a very large area, so whatever treatment you choose should not
be an expensive one.

Indeed, a major consideration. :-)

I would be tempted to remove any loose rust with a wire brush then use
Kurust to stablise what rust is left behind. Then apply your chosen
paint system, preferably finishing in a colour that won't show any
areas of rust that break through. In other words, not white. ;-)

I'm looking at Matt NATO green, should fit the situation perfectly, and
it's relatively cheap :-)

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/paint.htm

Thanks for the comments.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:49:01 +0100, Bill
wrote:
In message , Bruce
writes
That's a very large area, so whatever treatment you choose should not
be an expensive one.

Indeed, a major consideration. :-)

I would be tempted to remove any loose rust with a wire brush then use
Kurust to stablise what rust is left behind. Then apply your chosen
paint system, preferably finishing in a colour that won't show any
areas of rust that break through. In other words, not white. ;-)

I'm looking at Matt NATO green, should fit the situation perfectly, and
it's relatively cheap :-)

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/paint.htm

A good choice. Apply with a roller, and a brush to cut in?

Thanks for the comments.

You're welcome.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wire brush tend to require brute-force angle-grinder rather than drill
- and remove a fair bit of metal too.

3M Clean N Strip XT (purple) discs are very good.
2-3 will strip an entire car of paint, corrosion, pitting to bare
steel without removing much steel which might be important. Frost's
Auto Restoration and probably fleabay do them.

Hammerite is good until water gets under it.
Protection is how much are you willing to pay.
True cold galvanising paint like Galvafroid works surprisingly well -
you need to get to Sa2.5 (good 3M clean n strip, no dark mill-scale,
not likely if corroded steel). It does require a primer on top &
suitable paint since it is mechanically very weak - it is pure
virtually nanoscopic zinc (and ridiculously heavy and priced
accordingly).
Zinc loaded epoxy works well, 2pk is available; commonly used in
marine applications with micaceous oxide and so on.
POR15 is good if you never intend to weld.

If this is a long boat, hire a media blaster - or perhaps see if you
can get an attachment for a pressure washer, in theory they should
exist but I have never bothered. That keeps the material wet which
reduces the mess.

The 3M clean-n-strip in Purple XT form are like a sand blaster in
their speed - very effective removal of everything except the steel.
Best product for auto or similar "thin sheet metal" repairs ever.
Galvafroid is pig ugly for auto use because it is thick and requires a
suitable galvanised-metal primer because conventional car paint has no
chance of sticking on top.otherwise.

Another alternative would be a metal-prep with suitable primer & paint
on top. Comes down to the application. The zinc-epoxy can be roller
applied and will at least give a good life. I assume the 40sq-m it
can't be dipped?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Bill
saying something like:

I'm looking at Matt NATO green, should fit the situation perfectly, and
it's relatively cheap :-)

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/paint.htm

Thanks for the comments.

Use dilute phosphoric acid, which is all Kurust is, to treat the rusty
areas with, first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "js.b1" saying
something like:

If this is a long boat,

Images of Kirk Douglas in 'The Long Ships', and that bloody horn racket.

Itym narrow boat?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Bill
saying something like:

I'm looking at Matt NATO green, should fit the situation perfectly, and
it's relatively cheap :-)

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/paint.htm

Thanks for the comments.

Use dilute phosphoric acid, which is all Kurust is, to treat the rusty
areas with, first.

Not exactly off the shelf though
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember Bill
saying something like:

I'm looking at Matt NATO green, should fit the situation perfectly, and
it's relatively cheap :-)

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/paint.htm

Thanks for the comments.

Use dilute phosphoric acid, which is all Kurust is, to treat the rusty
areas with, first.

As found in Coca Cola apparently!

But apart from that a quick Google has not thrown up any easy suppliers
of it. What sort of figure were you thinking of by saying "dilute"?
Also any suggest sources? There is 85% 125ml available on Ebay but
this is way outside my comfort zone. Where as Kurust maybe out side my
finances for the amount required!

As to the question is it a narrow boat? Unfortunately not, it is a metal
shipping container, a rather rust one :-)

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes
In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember Bill
saying something like:

I'm looking at Matt NATO green, should fit the situation perfectly, and
it's relatively cheap :-)

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/paint.htm

Thanks for the comments.

Use dilute phosphoric acid, which is all Kurust is, to treat the rusty
areas with, first.

As found in Coca Cola apparently!

But apart from that a quick Google has not thrown up any easy suppliers
of it. What sort of figure were you thinking of by saying "dilute"?
Also any suggest sources? There is 85% 125ml available on Ebay but
this is way outside my comfort zone. Where as Kurust maybe out side my
finances for the amount required!

As to the question is it a narrow boat? Unfortunately not, it is a
metal shipping container, a rather rust one :-)

There you go ...

http://www.kamco.co.uk/FX.htm

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 12:55:32 +0100, Bill wrote:

Use dilute phosphoric acid, which is all Kurust is, to treat the

rusty
areas with, first.

There is 85% 125ml available on Ebay but this is way outside my comfort
zone. Where as Kurust maybe out side my finances for the amount
required!

Today bought some HG "Cement grout film remover" 1l for £8.43 this
according to the Safety Data Sheet is 15 - 30% Phosphoric Acid. For
it's intended use you dilute 10:1 with water.

http://www.homecareessentials.co.uk/...g/Cement_.html

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 24, 11:44 am, Stuart Noble wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Bill
saying something like:

I'm looking at Matt NATO green, should fit the situation perfectly, and
it's relatively cheap :-)

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/paint.htm

Thanks for the comments.

Use dilute phosphoric acid, which is all Kurust is, to treat the rusty
areas with, first.

Not exactly off the shelf though

acid based alloy car wheel cleaner?

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble
saying something like:

Use dilute phosphoric acid, which is all Kurust is, to treat the rusty
areas with, first.

Not exactly off the shelf though

Milk parlour descaler, available by the gallon, is 30% phosphoric acid,
afair.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

As to the question is it a narrow boat? Unfortunately not, it is a
metal shipping container, a rather rust one :-)

There you go ...

http://www.kamco.co.uk/FX.htm

And further to my earlier reply;
http://www.kamco.co.uk/MSDS/PDF/FX.pdf

Hammerite on Metal Civet UK diy 7 January 29th 09 11:58 AM
hammerite thinner news.virgin.net UK diy 12 February 13th 08 01:03 PM
Hammerite Frank Erskine UK diy 2 June 1st 05 04:20 PM
Hammerite Howard UK diy 11 February 21st 05 11:35 AM