DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   BSP waste adaptor? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/289995-bsp-waste-adaptor.html)

Tim W[_2_] October 22nd 09 02:01 PM

BSP waste adaptor?

Hi,

I have a chrome bottle trap for my basin. Mr BSP has struck again... BES
only do these in 1.5"/40mm BSP with a 75mm seal depth as suggested by BR.

The basin, it turns out, presents a 1.25"/32mm thread.

(Here we go again - I hate threaded plumbing in the same way I hate RS232 -
both have standards - but both have too many!)

So, it's either return the trap and try to source from elsewhere, or find a
32mm female to 40mm male short adaptor, parallel thread, end bearing washer
seal, ideally in chromed brass.

Buggered if I can find one online. Do such things exist?

Ta

Tim

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Bob Minchin[_2_] October 22nd 09 02:16 PM

BSP waste adaptor?

Tim W wrote:
Hi,

I have a chrome bottle trap for my basin. Mr BSP has struck again... BES
only do these in 1.5"/40mm BSP with a 75mm seal depth as suggested by BR.

The basin, it turns out, presents a 1.25"/32mm thread.

(Here we go again - I hate threaded plumbing in the same way I hate RS232 -
both have standards - but both have too many!)

So, it's either return the trap and try to source from elsewhere, or find a
32mm female to 40mm male short adaptor, parallel thread, end bearing washer
seal, ideally in chromed brass.

Buggered if I can find one online. Do such things exist?

Ta

Tim

Get the proper thing from screwfix only £10

Bob

Tim W[_2_] October 22nd 09 02:32 PM

BSP waste adaptor?

Bob Minchin
wibbled on Thursday 22 October 2009 14:16

Tim W wrote:
Hi,

I have a chrome bottle trap for my basin. Mr BSP has struck again... BES
only do these in 1.5"/40mm BSP with a 75mm seal depth as suggested by BR.

The basin, it turns out, presents a 1.25"/32mm thread.

(Here we go again - I hate threaded plumbing in the same way I hate RS232
- both have standards - but both have too many!)

So, it's either return the trap and try to source from elsewhere, or find
a 32mm female to 40mm male short adaptor, parallel thread, end bearing
washer seal, ideally in chromed brass.

Buggered if I can find one online. Do such things exist?

Ta

Tim

Get the proper thing from screwfix only £10

Bob

This one I guess:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/10004

Thanks for the hint - don't know why I didn't come across that one before.
Doesn't state the seal depth by looks identical to mine (probably same
make) so it's probably 75mm.

Cheers

Tim

Tim W[_2_] October 22nd 09 06:56 PM

BSP waste adaptor?

Tim W wrote:
Hi,

I have a chrome bottle trap for my basin. Mr BSP has struck again... BES
only do these in 1.5"/40mm BSP with a 75mm seal depth as suggested by BR.

The basin, it turns out, presents a 1.25"/32mm thread.

(Here we go again - I hate threaded plumbing in the same way I hate RS232
- both have standards - but both have too many!)

So, it's either return the trap and try to source from elsewhere, or find
a 32mm female to 40mm male short adaptor, parallel thread, end bearing
washer seal, ideally in chromed brass.

Buggered if I can find one online. Do such things exist?

Ta

Tim

Get the proper thing from screwfix only £10

Bob

Unfortunately, no banana. Popped into Screwfix and bought one. Returned it
immediately. The trap seal depth was nowhere near the 75mm required by Doc
H for basins. It was probably 38mm as per the BES one. Not sure why they
would bother marketing one with an insufficient depth... I wouldn't mind if
I was discharging into my "greywater only" stack, but logistics dictate I
couple the basin into the bog stack, so I'm keener to keep a decent seal
there (there will be an AAV too, but all the same...).

I's about to start the great internet hunt for a brass/chrome bottle or
S-trap with the correct parameters.

In the meantime - any ideas on the 1.5 to 1.25" BSP converter? I feel such a
thing *should* exist, but google can be unhelpful when searching for things
like 1 1/2" etc.

Ta

Tim