DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   PC application for nomograph (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/289479-pc-application-nomograph.html)

Ron Lowe[_3_] October 15th 09 06:54 PM

PC application for nomograph

Since we're soliciting ideas for programs...

I need to create a simple nomograph to convert PSI to BAR.

It will be a simple straight line, spread across an A4 or A5 page, with
scale markings 0-300 bar on one side, and 0-4500psi on the other.
Each side would be marked off and scaled in sensible divisions for it's
own scale.

( In other words, I don't want it 'psi-centric' with the bar scale
marked off with points like 123.456, nor the other way round. )

Last one I made was by hand, but I wanted to do something a bit smarter,
and also so I could print it put again once it got all tashed.

I have a feeling I could use Excel, and use the charting function in
some funky way, but perhaps not.

--
Ron

mark October 15th 09 07:22 PM

"Ron Lowe" wrote in message
Since we're soliciting ideas for programs...

I need to create a simple nomograph to convert PSI to BAR.

It will be a simple straight line, spread across an A4 or A5 page, with
scale markings 0-300 bar on one side, and 0-4500psi on the other.
Each side would be marked off and scaled in sensible divisions for it's
own scale.

( In other words, I don't want it 'psi-centric' with the bar scale marked
off with points like 123.456, nor the other way round. )

Last one I made was by hand, but I wanted to do something a bit smarter,
and also so I could print it put again once it got all tashed.

I have a feeling I could use Excel, and use the charting function in some
funky way, but perhaps not.

I could explain how to do it fairly easily if you have CorelDraw or
something similar.

mark

jkn October 15th 09 07:53 PM

PC application for nomograph

Years ago, I was thinking of writing my own program to create
nomographs/nomograms. I've a feeling I found a Postscript script to do
just what I wanted. I'll see if I can track it down.

I was waxing nostalgic about nomographs and slide rules to a colleague
only yesterday...

J^n

Bill Wright October 15th 09 11:45 PM

PC application for nomograph

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Ron Lowe" wrote in message
Since we're soliciting ideas for programs...

I need to create a simple nomograph to convert PSI to BAR.

It will be a simple straight line, spread across an A4 or A5 page, with
scale markings 0-300 bar on one side, and 0-4500psi on the other.
Each side would be marked off and scaled in sensible divisions for it's
own scale.

( In other words, I don't want it 'psi-centric' with the bar scale marked
off with points like 123.456, nor the other way round. )

Last one I made was by hand, but I wanted to do something a bit smarter,
and also so I could print it put again once it got all tashed.

I have a feeling I could use Excel, and use the charting function in some
funky way, but perhaps not.

I could explain how to do it fairly easily if you have CorelDraw or
something similar.

Yes. A doddle in CorelDraw.

Bill

OG October 16th 09 12:20 AM

"jkn" wrote in message
Years ago, I was thinking of writing my own program to create
nomographs/nomograms. I've a feeling I found a Postscript script to do
just what I wanted. I'll see if I can track it down.

I was waxing nostalgic about nomographs and slide rules to a colleague
only yesterday...

Have you seen the rather awesome one on the 'Nomogram' Wikipedia page ?