DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Popping MCB (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/289246-popping-mcb.html)

TheScullster October 12th 09 08:52 AM

Popping MCB

Hi all

Noticed a light pop when I reset an MCB yesterday - is this usual?
The MCB is protecting the upstairs ring main and I guess that there are a
few pieces of kit "turned on" ready to draw power as soon as the breaker is
latched in (clock radios, alarm panel etc).

TIA

Phil

Toby October 12th 09 09:32 AM

Popping MCB

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

Noticed a light pop when I reset an MCB yesterday - is this usual?
The MCB is protecting the upstairs ring main and I guess that there are a
few pieces of kit "turned on" ready to draw power as soon as the breaker
is latched in (clock radios, alarm panel etc).

TIA

Phil

When lamps go, they usually go when tuned on, due to the sudden temperature
shock to the filament, so I would expect the fact it went when you turned it
on via the MCB, rather than the normal switch was just chance!

Toby...

Dave Liquorice[_2_] October 12th 09 09:52 AM

Popping MCB

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:32:24 +0100, Toby wrote:

Noticed a light pop when I reset an MCB yesterday ...

When lamps go, they usually go when tuned on ...

Ooo, I read the first as a small popping noise from the MCB when it
was reset not a lamp failing at switch on. Which is it?

--
Cheers
Dave.

TheScullster October 12th 09 11:21 AM

Popping MCB

"Dave Liquorice" wrote

Ooo, I read the first as a small popping noise from the MCB when it
was reset not a lamp failing at switch on. Which is it?

--

Yes, Dave, as the subject header, it was the MCB making a popping noise as
it was reset.

Phil

TheScullster October 12th 09 12:17 PM

Popping MCB

"John Rumm" wrote

If there is a load on it when you close it, then yes, you might get a
noise. It normally needs to be a fairly high load and/or a fairly
inductive one though.

--

Thanks John - can you give me examples of likely inductive loads in domestic
setting please?

Phil